New compilation of 6cd's - reissue of SWEET MEMORY*

Misael Castillo Lopez

Carpenters Best Songs Carpenters CD Album
TPD-6148.jpg

Mr Harry, what is this? the relaunch of Sweet Memory? regards o.o

Yes indeed. It appears that the SWEET MEMORY set has gotten a re-press in Japan with a new title, BEST SONGS. If you look at that booklet you can just barely make out the titles of "all at once" and "these days", the same two first titles of SWEET MEMORY. Also, the Japanese translation at CDJapan mentions 91 songs, the exact number of tracks in SWEET MEMORY.

This is a good bargain for those who had been seeking the SWEET MEMORY set, coming in at just under $100. Many of us spent more than $200 for the SWEET MEMORY set in the good old days.

Yes indeed. It appears that the SWEET MEMORY set has gotten a re-press in Japan with a new title, BEST SONGS. If you look at that booklet you can just barely make out the titles of "all at once" and "these days", the same two first titles of SWEET MEMORY. Also, the Japanese translation at CDJapan mentions 91 songs, the exact number of tracks in SWEET MEMORY.

This is a good bargain for those who had been seeking the SWEET MEMORY set, coming in at just under $100. Many of us spent more than $200 for the SWEET MEMORY set in the good old days.

does this set include the remix of ANOTHER SONG?

Wow! Thanks! I just ordered it and can’t wait to hear the alternate mixes and better clarity!

does this set include the remix of ANOTHER SONG?
I would say yes, there's no reason why it wouldn't. I'd say it's the same exact mastering just a new title and packaging.

This is one of my favorite compilation sets for the inclusion of so many tracks that rarely get added to a set. For instance B'wana She No Home one of my favorites and it sounds a bit brighter than the Remastered classics version.

Last edited:
I'm not made of money either which is why I make choices. I already have the vinyl from years past. I am no longer a vinyl customer, unless I get my hands on some rare quad or audiophile vinyl. There is a romance and magic to it, I will admit, even slightly more as Reel to Reel and 8-Tracks, LaserDisk and VHS HiFi, (never really liked cassettes), but I'd rather hear fidelity. I enjoy the Remastered Cassics and hold them close to my heart. But, I also like some of the remixes for they make the song come alive and it feels like a new song to my fluttering insides. This CD package is a great deal and probably won't come around again, so I purchased it immediately after I learned of its existence. As a devoted fan, I would like it all, but financially, I have to make choices. Someday, this medium will also be in the past, but hopefully will be digitally preserved. I feel that I can count on 10 more years of life, and if I live into my 70's, the digital format will carry me into heaven. I may never get to hear two of the songs I long for release, but we have this package, and it is a good one. This one, when titled Sweet Memory, and the Karaoke CD were two products that I kicked myself for not buying when first available. Last year, I bought the Original Master Karaoke and this year, because of the new repackaging, I get another opportunity to purchase this Best Songs, (Sweet Memory) one. I can't wait to hear it all.

One other purchase I hold next to my heart is the Singles Collection from the PBS special. I would recommend it to anyone who does not yet have it. This package certainly brings back memories that bring a tear to my eyes. It is a great companion to all the remixes.

In general, I like the remixes that keep all the vocals intact and those that don't have an overpowering drum or bass line dominating the track. The last remix of Top of the World, Superstar, and Sing immediately come to mind as good examples. But, I like the originals, too. They balance well as companions together. However, as there are always exceptions, it made Sing come alive. I consider these as a thank you from Richard to the fans, for the distinction is not felt on radio or online radio, or YouTube, but the magic and clarity is heard and felt on purchased copies heard through your media system.

(One last note, the Close to You album is a work of art, in my opinion, perfectly balanced with perfect orchestration and instrumentation presenting the instruments and voice with great precision and care. I especially like all the overdubbed vocals and drum tracks. I know that through the years most of the songs have been remixed but this is one where listening to the original sends me back in time to specific locations. I appreciate the remix of Maybe It's You, for I hear background vocals that I could not distinguish in the past, but just as a companion to the original. So, I guess, I'm trying to say, they all have their place.) Close To You, A Song For You, Now & Then, Horizon and Passage are all turning point albums to me, but don't get me wrong, I like them all.

Craig

No. Those are the titles of the discs. When SWEET MEMORY was sequenced, Richard chose songs that loosely fit a theme or feeling.

Each disc had a title, and each title was spelled with no capital letters:

all at once
those days
on and off
at last
by and by
someday

You can read Richard's descriptions on the Resource under each of the SWEET MEMORY titles.

Well I did it. I purchased it for about $101 USD. Gave this set 2 thoughts and just went for it. I'm still on the fence about all the new vinyl releases---but this one I am pretty excited about.

No. Those are the titles of the discs. When SWEET MEMORY was sequenced, Richard chose songs that loosely fit a theme or feeling.

Each disc had a title, and each title was spelled with no capital letters:

all at once
those days
on and off
at last
by and by
someday

You can read Richard's descriptions on the Resource under each of the SWEET MEMORY titles.
Love that artwork. Looks like a Citroen 2CV on the Those Days cover.

Back
Top Bottom