New HERB Single Due

Sounds Like it should be a Good Jazzier Remake I Also Like Jeff Lorber and his work on the Second Wind album so let's hope it's a Good one

Chet Atkins covered it one one of his Late 60s LPs I dont recall the album title right now

Solid Gold 68 was the album title. Chet's version seems a little faster than Herb's...it's okay, but I never really thought of Slick as a guitar song.

Allmusic gave the album 2 stars of 5. Catalog number is RCA Victor LSP-4601

Solid Gold 68 was the album title. Chet's version seems a little faster than Herb's...it's okay, but I never really thought of Slick as a guitar song.

Allmusic gave the album 2 stars of 5. Catalog number is RCA Victor LSP-4601
Thanks Dan for refreshing my memory

I love HAs trumpet on this tune, but I've never liked Jeff Lorber's involvement with Herb and this just sounds to me like organ music being played in the background.

I think it is a fresh and great re-recording of a 52 year old tune. Must be fun for John Pisano, the composer also. I think Herb and Jeff Lorber make magic, just as they did in 1996, when I heard them live at the House Of Blues in L.A. and the Jazz Café in London.

What I do like is how he changes the familiar melody in an unexpected way; like the startling way he did on the fade out of The Lonely Bull on Reimagines. The ending of The Lonely Bull was worth the price of that whole CD.

I'd like to see him do a similar remake of Happy Hour. This is a Mike Barone tune that was actually used from time to time as walk on music for guests on the Carson Tonight Show. The Lost Treasures release features one of HA's shortest but coolest solos. From the sound of the trombone it seems to have been recorded at the time of The Ninth LP.

I'd like to see him do a similar remake of Happy Hour. This is a Mike Barone tune that was actually used from time to time as walk on music for guests on the Carson Tonight Show. The Lost Treasures release features one of HA's shortest but coolest solos. From the sound of the trombone it seems to have been recorded at the time of The Ninth LP.

I agree. It reminds me a lot of Cowboys and Indians.

I once asked Mike Barone about this on Facebook, and this is what he said:

That tune was written for a commercial and a few years later I submitted it to him with others. I got to know him thru Bob Edmondson. They went to school together.Bob and I recorded that with him at that time but he never released it. Big money lost on my part. I should have bugged him.--Not my style. Then 40 years later he called me and asked me about it and released it and changed the title. I made his first band rehearsal and told him I couldn't do it. Always laughed about that. I also worked with him in studio recordings at A&M quite a few times. He's a good guy.

Back
Top Bottom