New PBS Christmas (My Music) including Carpenters

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
A CLASSIC CHRISTMAS (MY MUSIC)
Premieres November 2019 on PBS Stations

Gavin MacLeod & Marion Ross Host A Nostalgic Celebration of Traditional Carols and Popular Holiday Standards Performed By Bing Crosby, Perry Como,
Judy Garland, Nat King Cole, Carpenters and Other Legends of Song

Marion Ross and Gavin MacLeod.

Credit: Courtesy TJL Productions

There’s nothing more joyful and heartwarming than the familiar songs of the Yuletide season. Old-fashioned favorites celebrated through the generations performed by legendary artists are featured in A CLASSIC CHRISTMAS (MY MUSIC), premiering November 16 on PBS stations.

Hosted by Gavin MacLeod (The Love Boat) and Marion Ross (Happy Days), this nostalgic special spotlights traditional carols (“Silent Night,” “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”) as well as popular standards (“White Christmas,” “Jingle Bells,” “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”), children’s tunes (“Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer,” “Frosty The Snowman,” “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”) and romantic selections (“The Christmas Song,” “Winter Wonderland,” “Merry Christmas Darling”).

Among the great artists featured in rare, archival footage from the 1950s through the 1970s are Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Judy Garland, Nat King Cole, The Carpenters, Andy Williams, Rosemary Clooney, Johnny Mathis, Mitzi Gaynor, Gene Autry, Brenda Lee, Burl Ives, The Beach Boys, The Lennon Sisters, Eddy Arnold, Mahalia Jackson, The Harry Simeone Chorale, Jimmy Boyd, Jose Feliciano, The Supremes, Mitch Miller and, in an all-new performance, Ronnie Spector.

For the first-time ever, these iconic singers and timeless performances spanning the decades are brought together in a festive special for families of all ages to share and enjoy.

• PBS –

I just saw that one of the promotions (for $180) includes the Carpenters “Christmas Memories” DVD (it’s a multi-pack with other DVD’s like the 1164 Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer DVD, the 1947 “It’s A Wonderful Life”, “A Charlie Brown Christmas”, 1947 “Miracle on 34th Street” & the DVD for the special itself.)

The Carpenters are on now, and it’s “Merry Christmas, Darling” that was picked. So it’s about an hour, ten into the show (that with the pledge videos, on the DVD it’ll probably be sooner) that they got to the video and it’s the mailbox video.

Has this been reairing this year? I pulled out my Super Betamax recording of it from last year and am watching it right now. It’s interesting how they had the Beach Boys singing “Little Saint Nick” right before the Carpenters “Merry Christmas Darling”.

PBS running Christmas Memories at 10pm here Tuesday 12/7/21, followed by Close To You at 10:30 pm. Pledge time staples. Glad Christmas Memories gets to air first.
The station KVPT has a Broadcast range for about 2.5-3 million viewers between Merced, Fresno, Visalia, and Bakersfield, Ca. Markets.
It’s also running from 4-6 pm on KCET Los Angeles on Sunday 12/12/21.

Last edited:
First PBS showing of Christmas Memories today on our local station. Always a pleasure to watch every year. The C. P. Special Edition is doing well on iTunes again this year too. There’s still hope for something new to come ?

Back
Top Bottom