New Plans for 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Hi Everyone,
Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Years!
Does anyone have a clue about what will be up in the Carpenters arena for 2003?
Have a great day,
Mark

Every year around the holidays, I always think that Richard should release a companion Christmas video. Not the actual specials, but a music video of all the great Christmas performances. One year, I watched my private collection of Carpenter's videos and made a list of all possible inclusions of those Christmas performances. I came up with approximately 12 or 15 possibilites. These include performances from the Christmas Specials plus others such as "Santa Clause is Comming to Town" and Richard's "Carole of the Bells" from the Perry Como special. I think it would make a fantastic video. Rich could augment it with an introduction featuring his own family over the songs "Old Fashioned Christmas" and "Holy Night" segwaying (did I spell that right?) into all of the performances featuring Karen's lead vocals. I got it all figured out, so if Richard wants to hire a consultant on the project, I humbly make myself available :wink: .

As for 2003, it is, sadly, the 20th anniversary of Karen's passing. Surely there will be SOMETHING special to remind the world of its loss. Doesn't Karen deserve some attention in the same way we are ALWAYS remembering Elivis (whether we like it or not) on the anniversary of his passing. Just some thoughts.

Geographer

mstaft said:
Hi Everyone,
Have a great day,
Mark[/quote

There are always plans for Carpenters projects in the pipeline , as always these depend on Richard, Universal, Various Copyrights and Clearances, Attitude & Support from Individual Markets and Key Dates.

As for 2003, I understand various Sets are due for Re-issue :

Their Greatest Hits (original 1990 UK Release) in Japan / Asia for late January -Remastered for those Fans who did not purchase earlier.

Re-issue of Carpenters Music Tracks and Harmonies ( No Lead Vocal Versions) : previosly released as Yesterday Once More (Karaoke) and Best Of Best (1992) as 2 CD Singles / Instrumentals Set. Again -for Japan and Asia this Spring.

Possibly another Box Set Collection of Studio Albums as per 1998 30th Anniversary Release -to mark Karen's Anniversary ?

In the UK :

Karen Carpenter Documentary (BBC) with various rare Contributors / Interviews -due be shown late January / Early February 2003 :)

Various Docs, Film Clips , Radio Features, Videos etc to mark Karen's 20th Anniversary:cool:

Shannon's Idea of Carpenters Christmas Video / DVD is long overdue and other Carpenters Projects will eventually be released 2003/2004, much depends on Richard's Relationships / Negotations with Universal !

Peter...looking forward .......

PJ said:
Re-issue of Carpenters Music Tracks and Harmonies ( No Lead Vocal Versions) : previosly released as Yesterday Once More (Karaoke) and Best Of Best (1992) as 2 CD Singles / Instrumentals Set. Again -for Japan and Asia this Spring.

Nope. Apparently it's been postponed. This is a quote from Yuko Ogura:
Yuko Ogura said:
"Original Master Karaoke" update: Sorry, guys. Universal Music
International Japan has decided not to re-release " Original Master
Karaooke" this time. A&R of Carpenters really wanted to put it out, but
since this title really does not draw too much attention and nor its
sales, they had to shelf it. However, since Richard may be releasing his
Christmas album next year, A&R of Carpenters here will present
"Original Master karaoke" again to re-release it if his new Christmas
album happens. Let's hope it will be available again and soon.

So perhaps it'll resurface next year.

Harry
...who'd love to see this BBC show, online...

Shannon-I agree with you,Karen does deserve some sort of acknowledgement to commemorate the 20th anniversary of her passing.THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION was designed to be a 20th anniversary commemorative set,but was released in October(instead of February 2003) to garner bigger sales for the holiday season.Aside from this,there will be no other releases for 2003 or anytime in the near future.(except for an instrumental Christmas album by Richard-due in October)The truth is ,the Carpenters catalog is so completely and thoroughly represented on Compact Disc,there isn't anything much that A&M could really do at this point that hasn't already been done!Their complete catalog was remastered in 1998.Both Christmas albums have been remastered and reissued in their complete form.The boxed set has been remastered and expanded.Plus,there are 2 music videos on the market.If Richard had intended to release any more vault material,he would have put it on the boxed set.

PJ said:
mstaft said:
Hi Everyone,
Have a great day,
Mark[/quote

There are always plans for Carpenters projects in the pipeline , as always these depend on Richard, Universal, Various Copyrights and Clearances, Attitude & Support from Individual Markets and Key Dates.

As for 2003, I understand various Sets are due for Re-issue :

Their Greatest Hits (original 1990 UK Release) in Japan / Asia for late January -Remastered for those Fans who did not purchase earlier.

Hmm this was reissued late last year in Japan but Yuko said it was just a reissue without any new remastering. If you have any additional info please do share it with us.

Scott B

Possibly another Box Set Collection of Studio Albums as per 1998 30th Anniversary Release -to mark Karen's Anniversary ?

In the UK :

Karen Carpenter Documentary (BBC) with various rare Contributors / Interviews -due be shown late January / Early February 2003 :)

Various Docs, Film Clips , Radio Features, Videos etc to mark Karen's 20th Anniversary:cool:

Shannon's Idea of Carpenters Christmas Video / DVD is long overdue and other Carpenters Projects will eventually be released 2003/2004, much depends on Richard's Relationships / Negotations with Universal !

Peter...looking forward .......

More Carpenters material could be released , however this really depends on Richard's desire to invest time and energy in completing more songs and rarities :confused:

Really Universal need to show more interest / support for Carpenters Projects post As Time Goes By impasse and actually be committed to worlwide support /releases :o

As per an earlier topic , Richard was planning much more Carpenters material on the proposed Box Set.However due to the current (non)-relationship with Universal, the minimum was done with Essential Collection , basically a re-issue with more Singles and the emphais on Re-mastering for Buyers and a long overdue Mid-Price 20th Century Masters that might have out two years earlier.Why would anyone in Richard's position do more, when dealing with Media Giants current policies :sad:

There are plenty of Projects that could be issued and more interesting compilations -however Universal have even less interest these days than Polygram in their dying days 1997/1998 ! :confused:

Aside from Richard's Solo Christmas Set (will this be released by Universal ?) possibly some more Karen Carpenter Ramone produced material will be issued later in 2003 to mark her Anniversary Year and more themetic sets : Carpenter -Bettis and Williams-Nichols Songwriters Albums :?:

Peter.....Ever Hopeful.......

There's a possibility for a few more projects in the future,but it won't be the near future! As far as I know,A&M(Universal) has nothing in the works for 2003,and record labels usually plan their release schedules 6-9 months in advance.I think many people are missing a very important factor in this equation-and that is the fact that karen Carpenter has been dead for 20 years,and if Richard or A&M had any intention of releasing any more vault material ,they would have done it within the past 20 years!All throughout the 80's and 90's,Richard had plenty of opportunities to assemble more albums and projects-if that was his desire.(especially when he had an active record contract and the full support of A&M).Richard designated LOVELINES as the final album-and (14 years later)indeed it was!So,rather than risk spending many more years being dissapointed,it is better to be content and appreciate the Carpenters catalog as it is-and,thankfully,we have access to her entire catalog.I happen to be a big fan of Rita Coolidge,but have no such luxury with Rita-her whole catalog is out of print-and only a few greatest hits albums have ever been issued on CD.

The Carpenters sound had a commercial upswing after the Karen Carpenter Story first aired, and after a tv show in Japan used a song of theirs as the theme song to the show. Possibly, the upcoming BBC commentary will help bring more material. However, since Richard did not aid in its development, nor are there the relations with Universal as once with A&M, so who really knows?

One thing on their side.........they have sold a lot of records, which is awesome, even in today's standards.

Craig

mr J. said:
if Richard or A&M had any intention of releasing any more vault material ,they would have done it within the past 20 years!
Since a good chunk of it was released with As Time Goes By, I believe we won't see anything similar before a bunch more of it has gone by. Maybe if there were a commercially viable format for releasing such chunks all at the same time, instead of in slow drips like TTGTFA on Interpretations, they'd be more inclined to work up a lot of the vaulted stuff for such release.:idea:

If a strictly From The Vaults boxset wouldn't work, why not a Hits compilation on one CD accompanied by a Surprises (outtakes, etc.) assortment on the second? Perhaps such a 2-CD set would sell well in Japan at least. Be a great deal there for new and older fans alike IMO. Might work, too, for a double DVD combo of Yesterday Once More videos w/ some of the TV specials (or narrated excepts from them).

Nonetheless, I am appreciative of all the material we do have. I believe what Richard's done since Made In America has greatly increased not just the amount of it but its overall quality as well. And to think more may be added still! I consider it another wonderful bonus of being a Carpenters fan.

:),

I agree that there is little likelihood for a CD release of "new" material in 2003, but how about some DVD releases?

CLOSE TO YOU: REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS wasn't even released by A&M/Universal -- it was released by MPI. It seems to me that MPI could license the rights to the TV specials and release them on DVD, without us having to worry about whether Universal is interested enough...

I'd love to see a DVD with both Christmas specials plus "bonus" material from Karen & Richard's appearances on other peoples' Christmas shows. A DVD of MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC with all the outtakes and bloopers would be another great one.

To make the DVDs even better, Richard could remix all the audio in stereo on one of the additional audio channels, so that we could listen to the songs without hearing some of the overlapping dialogue or canned audience applause.

David
wishing again... <sigh>

Rockduo's idea of a Hits / Singles Compilation plus a Rarities Set mirrors exactly my letter before Christmas to Universal UK :shock:

Understanding that Universal UK are obsessed by Compilations and since last two , Love Songs & Gold have sold very well, Singles Compilation CD with 20-22 Singles plus a second CD of 15 tracks would appeal to Hits Buyers and more Long Term / Collectibles Fans at same time :)

Rarities Set could include some tracks from Box Sets, particuarly deleted extras such as Goodnight, Canta, Let Me Be The One and several Demos and Unissued Material, cut from As Time Goes By and other tracks, unlikely to be included by Richard on a Regular Release :)

As ATGB is finally out in UK 3/2 and with good support will be major seller , this compilation is better release for 2004 ?

Like Davidgra, I am surprised that after successful MPI Video/ DVD "Close To You " , further releases have not appeared -either one of the ABC Specials or a Live USA Concert :o

It would be great to have a ATGB Companion Video/DVD from Richard in 2003 and further releases in 2004 :D

Peter.....Looking Ahead .......With Hope.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom