new release track info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Hi all!

Does anybody out there in Carpenter-land know the track listing for the new compilation CarpenterS Perform CarpenterS? Also, Is the Interpretations dvd the same as the vhs? In any event, I'm hoping for some great packaging and liner notes. Maybe the dvd will sport a few "extras".

Top Of The World to ya!

Jeff

I haven't run across a track listing yet for either of them, but surely there will be some listed as the release date gets closer. Keep checking the usual suspects like amazon and DVD Planet for when they add them to the database.

Harry
...still looking, online...

...And just that quickly, I found a track listing at the Tower Records site for the Perform Carpenter:

1. Top Of The World
2. Maybe It's You
3. Crystal Lullaby
4. I Need To Be In Love
5. Sandy
6. Mr. Guder
7. All Of My Life
8. Yesterday Once More
9. One Love
10. Those Good Old Dreams
11. Because We Are In Love
12. Only Yesterday
13. Eve
14. At The End Of A Song
15. Goodbye To Love
16. Look To Your Dreams
17. Karen's Theme
18. Merry Christmas, Darling - (bonus track)

Harry
NP: radio at work

I hope there's a different mix or two, or something else (good liner notes, good art) to look forward to on this new collection. In fact, I was really hoping Crescent Noon would be included and perhaps remixed. It's one of my all-time favorite Carpenters tunes. The dark, haunting mood of the song and those delicious harmonies keep me coming back for more. It would've been perfect for this release.

I don't understand the title of this CD. Seems like a really strange title. Tower has it labled as "The Carpenters Perform Carpenter"

Who though of this title? I don't like it. Couldn't they have come up with a different, classier title? Is Richard's hand in this project?

However I do like the track listing & depending on what the cover pic looks like I might get it, especially since I see bonus, not too often do we see that, could it be a another version of this great song, maybe the original mix? :D

I pre-orderd the CD at amazon.jp. They tell "Perform Carpenter". But they have no song list nor DVD "Interpretations"(US).

Harry,

Thank you for your telling us about the title.

Tony,

Nice to see you on here. I also hoped "Crescent Noon". And "Another song".

Sakura

Why in the heck does RC keep putting Christmas tunes where they don't belong? First he sprinkled Christmas tunes over the original box set...then he sprinkled them AGAIN on the revised box...they should have been relegated to their own disk, or at least grouped in one spot. Now he puts "Merry Christmas Darling" on this disk. Does he think nobody actually LISTENS to these things? I for one don't want to have a Christmas tune pop up in July.

Well, I guess at this point the best we can hope for is some new remixes or perhaps some new musical segues between some of the songs...

I don't mind that there's a Christmas song on there, as long as it's "Merry Christmas, Darling." That song to me is first and foremost a Carpenters song, and only second a Christmas song (unlike just about everything else on the two Christmas albums, which are definitely "Christmas" songs).

But why "Karen's Theme"??? That is definitely NOT performed by Carpenters, but by Richard Carpenter, solo artist. Sigh.

David

Mike Blakesley said:
Why in the heck does RC keep putting Christmas tunes where they don't belong? First he sprinkled Christmas tunes over the original box set...then he sprinkled them AGAIN on the revised box...they should have been relegated to their own disk, or at least grouped in one spot. Now he puts "Merry Christmas Darling" on this disk. Does he think nobody actually LISTENS to these things? I for one don't want to have a Christmas tune pop up in July.

Well, at least it's included last. Perhaps it will be a 'hidden' track like "And When He Smiles" was on the As Time Goes By album. At least that way you would have a few seconds of silence to stop your CD player and not have to listen to a Christmas song if you don't want to.

I don't have a problem with the song being on there, as it is a Richard Carpenter composition, and one of the more famous too as it gets airplay every year on a plethora of radio formats.

Harry
...with another Carpenters CD to buy, online...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I don't understand the title of this CD. Seems like a really strange title. Tower has it labled as "The Carpenters Perform Carpenter"

Who though of this title? I don't like it. Couldn't they have come up with a different, classier title? Is Richard's hand in this project?

I'm not crazy about the title either. I would have preferred something more generic like "Home Grown" or "Originals".

Harry
...who also likes the track list, online...

Thanks, Harry, for posting the track listing. Richard and John sure did write some great music! I love the lineup here. To start with "Top of the World" and end up with "Karen's Theme" seems to be a fitting tribute to their career. The extra bonus of their Christmas song is not unwelcome to me who loves this song and who for some weird reason, doesn't mind listening to holiday music in July! My only wish is that Richard does the liner notes HIMSELF! We always get an extra slant on the music when he does. I wasn't enthused about this album when it was announced, but I will be getting it. It's a shame that some other songs weren't added on, like "Crescent Noon" and "Another Song" both of which I happen to enjoy very much.

It'll be interesting to see what the DVD has to offer!

Marilyn

Ooh! I just thought of another possible CD-DVD with these two new entries. Consider that Carpenters Perform Carpenter is all original songs for the group, while the Interpretations DVD is the opposite, all songs composed by others.

I've not yet gotten any official word, but suspect that the Interpretations DVD track listing will be a repeat of either the old VHS compilation or perhaps the expanded Japanese LaserDisc version which had:

Without A Song
Superstar
Rainy Days And Mondays
Ticket To Ride (already included on Gold, an extra on the LaserDisc)
Reason To Believe
Close To You
Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
Little Girl Blue
Bless The Beasts And Children
Please Mr. Postman (already included on Gold, an extra on the LaserDisc)
We've Only Just Begun
When I Fall in Love
From This Moment On

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the official track release is and whether or not there are any bonuses or 5.1 mixes.

Harry
...awaiting word, online...

Like Harry , I Prefer title "Originals" , I did Write to Richard After Release of Interpretations to Recommend Long Overdue Set of Carpenter / Bettis Songs Under that Title.Richard Responded such a Release Would be Issued Eventually :)

The Track Listing is in Line With Expectations , I Drew up a Rough List Of
Tracks That were Likely to be Included ....The Only Surprises are Karen's Theme and Merry Christmas Darling ....Perhaps the Latter is the Demo or a Live Version ? :o

Like Marilyn , I Would Have Loved Crescent Noon and Other Offering Songs Listed :sad: Crescent Noon Could Have Been 1969 Version and Other Alternate Versions Could Have Been Released , Album Original Versions are Readily Available on Remastered Series :cool:

I am Disappointed ( But Given Only 18 Tracks are Included) that :

I'm Caught Between Goodbye

I Have You

Happy

You're Enough

Sailing On The Tide

Were Not Selected and Richard Should Have Included Saturday , Turn Away , Your Wonderful Parade as Examples of His Vocals and Songwriting Talents :)

Just Hope There are Excellent Liner Notes , Photos , Lyrics and Remixing /Remastering on this Release :D

Peter ....Awaiting CPC......

This will be the first time "remixed" One Love is included in any of the US releases.
Though remixed already in 1994 and put in the tracklistings of one of the Memory series cds and By Request both sold only in Japan,
it didn't seem to have a chance to call the US fans' attention.

But I wonder if Close To You:Remembering the Carpenters contains this version. :?:

I am disappointed about the songs from Close to You and Horizon that are Carpenter/Bettis songs are also not included, but new fans have to have a reason to buy Close to You and Horizon as long as they are in print.

Craig[/quote]

Now that this new compilation of Carpenter/Bettis originals is slated to be released soon, I'm glad for the US fans.
But why? Why this release now and not As Time Goes By?
Can Universal expect something from this new cd?

Surely Richard and John will benefit the sales of this set because of all their works.

If Universal, to my happy surprise, is really willing to fulfill this task,
that's good news.

I wonder how many compilations Universal :mad: still has in mind. Maybe all the songs with "A" in the title and so on.
I really would appreciate songs like "Crescent noon" and especially "Another song" in remixed or alternative versions and the overdue long version of the "Bacharach-David-Medley" on one CD. Hey Richard, I'm just a social worker of average income. Do us a favour and tell Universal that we don't need another compilation with "Yesterday once more" or "Top of the world" etc. on it but album cuts as the above mentioned that were neglected so far.
I do also think that it is not very successful to have the christmas songs among the others.
The DVD-version of "Interpretations" hopefully has a better quality in sound and vision than the VHS-edition has. The latter is terrible to look at and not worth the money I spent for it. Thank you Universal, you really make fans happy! (I refer to the DVD "Abba- The definitive collection" which is also a bit strong.) :evil:
Achim

Another Song has already been remixed with new Joe Osborn bass performance, which this song seems to newly feature, for one of 1995 Sweet Memory set released in Japan.

Hopefully I'd like to listen to remixes of Crescent Noon, Help and I'll Never Fall In Love Again as well as Bacharach?/David Medley.

For the April, 1996 issue of Jomo magazine, Richard responds to the question:Why do you redo mixing down the old music sources for a new compilation?
Ans:1. to remove static from the tapes.
2. to correct funny codes and mistones of such as cello, which have been intact against his will.
3. to transfer the original recordings on 8 tracks to 32 tracks so as
to allow him to do overdubbing of piano and tumtum originally in monaural, for example, as a result of the back choruses leaving no extra tracks for such instruments.
He adds:This work is endless.I've got piles of other stuff left for me to work on.

I'm not too impressed with this new collection.The last thing we need is another compilation with "Top Of The World","Only Yesterday" and "Those Good Old Dreams".(actually,do we really need those songs at all?)I would say that "Crescent Noon" is by far the most captivating Carpenter-Bettis track,and it's noticeably absent from this collection."Goodbye and I Love You" and "Aurora/Eventide" would have also been appropriate for this new set.(great tracks!).On a positive note,It's good to see "Look To Your Dreams" and "At The End Of A Song",two stellar VOICE OF THE HEART tracks,making their compilation debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom