New Sergio Mendes album - March 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
It's been mentioned in the other thread about some re-releases of the Sergio Mendes catalog titles in Japan that there's a new album in the works - another collaboration with Will.I.Am.

HMV Japan is now listing the title as MORNING IN RIO with a track list as follows:

1 The Look Of Love
2 Funky Bahia
3 Waters Of March
4 Odo-ya
5 Somewhere In The Hills (O Morro Tem Vez)
6 Lugar Comum
7 Dreamer
8 Morning In Rio
9 Y Vamos Ya (...let`s Go)
10 Catavento (Catavento E Girassol)
11 Acode
12 Agua De Beber
13 Waters Of March (Les Eaux De Mars)
14 Y Vamos Ya (...let`s Go)

HMV's review states:

It has been 2 years since he has released a last album "Timeless". He came back with the hottest producer Will I Am (Black Eyed Peas). The album contains a lead single "Look of Love" featuring Fergie of Black Eyed Peas. The release date is 27th of February, 2008.

Stay tuned.

Harry

[Moderator's note: Track listing adjusted as the listings have changed at HMV-JP to stay as accurate as possible.]

Hmm. This has promise. Fergie had a huge ballad hit this year (the name of which escapes me at the moment!) in which she proved she could sing, so her tackling "The Look of Love" isn't a bad thought. (But why oh why is he doing "waters of March" again? That song is so b-o-r-i-n-g!) The song list otherwise looks great...more Brasilian, less hip-hop-ish.

Fergie's big hit is "Big Girls Don't Cry".

Harry

One thing I think we all could agree on... Sergio must have had a blast making this album!

Mike

I can deal with Waters of March. Especially if it sounds like the live version on youtube that has both the portugues and english lyrics... Smoke City did a cool version of Waters of March called: "Joga Bossa" that changed the lyrics but kept the sound.

O morro nao tem vez is a good song - the literal translation is "the hill has no time" which translates into "the slums have no chance"

But another Look of Love? I was so disappointed to hear the Herb Alpert version with Lani. . .

Spanish songs???

It sounds like a bit of a dud to me, and sergio's selling out even more than before!

but 1 or 2 good songs will be nice.

Dusty Groove is saying that it's available Mar 11 in the United States... (and Japan has a bonus track that was previously mentioned)

What the heck is Fergie's real name anyway? I wish she'd use it. Whenever I see Fergie (in print) I think of Fergie Fredericksen, short-term lead singer for Toto. In other words, about as opposite as you can get!

Sergio Mendes re-invented himself as an artist with "Timeless", much the same way Miles Davis did with say "Bitches Brew". It takes a lot of courage and talent to pull this off, and I happen to be among those that loved what Will.I.Am and Sergio did in their first collaboration together. I'm not too keen on rap, nor "hip-hop", but it seems that Brazilian rhythms coupled with hip-hop produced something very powerful and unique. "Timeless" is jam packed with wonderful energy, creativity, and originality. I expect more of the same in this upcoming 08 release, Sergio Mendes has always exceeded my expectations.

Another "New Album" with "New Artists", like the Timeless album? Well hopefully the ones who will love this new one will be the ones that Sergio's first comeback was aimed at... Hopefully, too, the young 'un's will be turned on enough to buy the "Old Product", once again readily available, much like the first-time-around...

Dave

Well, as someone who is resigned that Sergio will have Will.I.Am. welded to his thigh forever, I am cautiously optimistic, even though I was SO dissapointed in TIMELESS. The fact that Sergio actually got a second CD out in two years is pretty shocking, and -I have to admit- must be attributed to W.I.A's influence.

The fact so many of the cuts seem more Brazilian is a good sign, as is the participation of Herb and Lani (and Natalie Cole ain't bad guesting either).

I just hope the main vocals are mostly Lani and Gracinha and NOT Will.I.Am (or is that too much to hope for?)

Is anyone familiar with the other guest artists - Jovanotti, Vanessa da Matta, Till Bronner, Ledisi or Juanes? I know Zap Mama.

A little YouTubing has given me a brief education on Sergio's guest stars.

Wow. Some REALLY good people here. NOW I'm excited.

The soulful Ledisi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO7D1am7fPQ

Italian rapper Jovanotti (hope he raps in Italian. Like Portugese, everything sounds better in Italian :D ):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-DCIhnl8s

Zap Mamma - Africa meets Flanders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7R49I7ZE4c&feature=related

Juanes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV96bY9GExg

Till Bronner: (oh, verrrry nice!!) :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qFvZJF254

Vanessa da Matta - a young Gal Costa! :goodie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxk15CiJ9GE

This could be a REALLY good album...

Kind of funny how Sergio wants to appeal to the youngsters, but his album titles aren't anything that'll entice them. "Timeless?" "Morning in Rio?"

If he really wants to sell records he should call the new one "Gangstas in Rio." :wink:

CCD-30278.jpg

The "Dreamer" sample with Herb and Lani is a knockout!

Harry

Yes, but it is a full 30 seconds.

I like the Gracinha sample too on "Catavento"

Harry

Usually I don't like to listen to samples in advance but this time I made an exception.

Wow, a much more jazzy feel than I expected. And they've appeared to really tone down the rap elements which is good news. Sounds like Herb on one or two of the other samples as well.

Well, I'm officially excited. I agree-it sounds like Herb on at least a couple of the other tracks.

Re: Waters of March. Other than live concert recordings and the recent remixes, has Sergio re-recorded anything else three times? Nothing else is coming to me off the top of my head (but it's early here). :wink:

"Mas Que Nada" has been done three times. Once on the first A&M album, once on ARARA, and once on TIMELESS.

Harry

Well, two out of three ain't bad. :) (I consider the Timeless one a remix).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom