NEW UK CARPENTERS TV DOCUMENTARY

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ

Great news , New UK Carpenters TV Documentary is being screened this Bank Holiday (National Holiday) Monday 26 August @ 22.55 hrs BST on ITV , UK's leading Commerical television Channel :D

Entitled "CLOSE TO YOU :THE STORY OF THE CARPENTERS"

One hour documentary with Richard returning to the old A&M Studios (now part of Henson Studios) to discuss Carpenters recording techniques, songs and their legacy since Karen's death :sad:

Aside from Richard , John Bettis , Group members and possibly both Herb and Jerry will contribute to this Doc.Rare film footage and some rare tracks will be included alongside Carpenters Classics.

I checked the TV listings and Entertainments , unfortunately there were no special features or Richard interviews.Possibly the Doc has been hastily brought forward in the schedules ?
There may be more articles this weekend and on Monday with Richard or on Carpenters career etc.

Rival TV channels are offering poor Films , only the excellent Six Feet Under competes( to be videoed) , the Doc should do well with audience ratings as many will be on School Vacations and leave from work.

Eventually this Doc should be shown on VH1 , other Music Cable channels in USA , perhaps even PBS in USA and worldwide in other markets 2002 /2003.

I am away on leave for most of next week .Will update topic next week -hope other UK / Eire Corner members will message us all with details on the Doc and their reviews :cool:

This Doc is a surprise - The BBC Karen Carpenter Documentary is still due to shown in 2003 for Karen's 20th Anniversary and other events are planned on radio etc:cool:

Peter...awaiting Monday....hopefully not Rainy Days.....

yeepeeeeeeeee, although it's not a bank holiday here in ireland next monday, this is still something to look forward too.

grainne. :D

just finished watching 'carpenters - close to you' & i was surprised how much new footage was in it.
richard spoke of how he's writing again, and recording new work with petula clarke....

still very sad though when he's talking about karen death. gary sims was interviewed & he got a little choked up too.

thought richard looked really great...much better than other interviews i've seen him in.
did anyone else see the documantary?

grainne.

I've just returned from holiday and caught up with the programme.

I don'tthink it told us anything we didn't know but the interviews were contemporary and there was a lot of footage which I haven't senn before.

It was interesting that Herb Alpert was willing to appear as I think he's turned down requests to revist the past - not least being the Radio 4 documetary on the TJB last year.

Stephen

ITV CLOSE TO YOU Documentary was interesting , well produced and provided a few rare interviews , John Tobler (Carpenters UK Guide to Carpenters Music ) , Frank Pooler , Badly Drawn Boy plus good contributions from Herb , John Bettis , Dionne Warwick , Petula Clark and UK A&M'S Derek Green.

Richard was lively and bright with his responses and the closing sequence with Richard at Capitol Studios recording new Solo material with Joe Osborn and seen on the recording console was a gem.Shame there is no new Album for 2002 or a Single / CD EP from these sessions.

I was slightly irritated by the usual putdown of Karen's Solo Album , My Body Keeps Changing My Mind was played as an example of the set and a reason A&M did not release the Album in 1980 !! Derek Green repeated his Coleman Bio views that the Solo sessions were disappointing and not releaseable ....... :confused: Really need to play more representative tracks and be more honest re this release :o

John Bettis was amusing in stating that Richard has not changed in his Songwriting methods or Studio work since Carpenters first recorded for A&M......

The Doc did well ratings wise in a late slot 23.00hrs > 00.05 hrs and helped return Gold Album to No 23 with a 900% increase in sales.UK Universal have followed up with another TV / Advert Campaign and this set plus Catalog will do well in the run up to Christmas ......Carpenters Budget Album is back in Top 5 Charts selling bucketloads to new Fans... :)

BBC Karen Carpenter Documentary is due early 2003 in line with sad and unbelievable 20th Anniversary since Karen's passing...Richard has not contributed any new material to this Doc , only Archive TV Special / Interview items will be shown , but other rare interviewees will contibute such as Jerry Moss and Mike Curb .....something to look forward to....... :)

Peter .....wondering how much deleted Film was left over from ITV Doc.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom