New YouTube Video: Live "Close to You" David Frost Show October 2, 1970

Nice. This was between a September 18th appearance on The Tonight Show with Carson and an October 18th appearance on Ed Sullivan. They were hot as a pistol.🔥 I was seven at the time, and sadly, they weren't on my radar. I was listening to The Jackson Five and the Partridge Family. I didn't discover them until 1973. Then there was a long 44-year hiatus until I rediscovered them in 2016.

@newvillefan you have a point but i posted the video because i like the live versions of these songs. Do you know of any other times that Karen sang reason to believe live.

Yeah i agree the way karens voice got better through the years is beautiful. One of my favorite shows is the one where they get the crowd involved with sing. And the the one where karen is wearing that beautiful blue dress singing top of the world live.

In this ''Close To You'' performance, I can hear the huskiness/hoarseness of Karen's voice similar to the Offering/Ticket To Ride era, which is less noticeable in the Close To You album era, so I'm surprised to hear her like that in this song. It is still a great performance don't get me wrong, plus the fact that Karen is drumming on this one! This gives an idea of how the studio version with her drumming would have sounded.
I wonder if they ever did other numbers of their first/second album live around the year they released those albums and if video footage still exists at all.

There’s plenty of footage we haven’t seen. In fact, David Frost says, “We’ll be right back with the Carpenters” (paraphrasing), so there’s more to be seen from this show alone.

In addition, there are a number of Tonight Show appearances from 1970, 1971 and 1972 that DO exist and that weren’t erased over (a practice that Carson Productions was rumored to utilize to save money on videotape). These performances are sitting in a vault in climate-controlled ‘caves’ in Kansas City, Mo.

If you are talking about the first video, YouTube is now saying that it’s been removed due to a copyright claim Reelin’ In The Years Productions LLC. They hold the rights to David Frost material.

Hello, A site called Reelinintheyears.com features plenty of footage, also many from the carpenters!:) they also had footage of them called ¨silent B-roll (chicago III) i am very curious :hmmm:what it features! but they don´t give the footage on fans :sad: is there a site or something with this footage on it? or can i never see it!

Actually, David Frost says "The Carpenters....we'll be right back...."
There is NOT another performance to be had by the duo on that show.
I have the audio of the performance.

Back
Top Bottom