Next AOTW series? I say 19000!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
I vote that once we run through the short 3000 series we venture into the 19000 series for AOTW. I just uploaded the nine cover images that comprise that AOTW series...

sp19001.jpg
sp19002.jpg
sp19003.jpg

sp19004.jpg
sp19005.jpg
sp19006.jpg

sp19007.jpg
sp19008.jpg
sp19009.jpg

--Mr Bill
scanning mofo

That's really beautiful! The Summer album is the only one I don't have.
Is Bill Wyman's album # 19005? That # is blank on my list; my copy of the Wyman album is a picture disc AMLH 68540 (UK). There's a flat in lieu of an LP cover.
JB
NP: Bill Wyman "Je Suis Un Rock Star"

www.billwyman.com

The Summer LP is actually on Omen Records, mfg & dist by A&M, but it DOES carry the # sp19008. I'd compare it to Rod McKuen, who, IIRC, also did a few early A&M singles.

As for the Wyman LP, I was told it was a UK or A&M World release but it did not have a US release (at the time) and was assigned the promotional series #19005 for US Radio purposes. It is currently available on another label by way of one of the many Wyman sites out there.

To me the oddest of the bunch (aside from 19008) is the Altec Odyssey LP featuring music of many of the artists in the later 4200 to 4400 series we're slowly but surely venturing toward in our 4000 series AOTW discussions.

--Mr Bill
looking forward to more active participation in discussions since I'll likely be staying put for the next 3 to 4 months...

The 19000 series is one in which numerical order doesn't necessarily correspond to year of release. While the first two came out in 1967 and 1968, the Wyman album didn't come out until 1982. The Altec sampler came out in 1973 - prior to May - because after that month the gray label replaced the ochre one.
You'll also note a long time gap in the 6000 (double LP) series between MAD DOGS (6002, from 1970) and 6003 (Tubes Live album from 1978). Here we also see the series move backwards in time, as the Humble Pie reissues (6008 + 6009) were released in the 3500 series back in 1971.

JB --- who hopes others find this numerical discussion as fascinating as I do; as we 'speak' I'm printing a copy of Mr. Bill's scans to insert into my Wyman album, which will then be filed with the 19000 series in the home collection.

Mr Bill said:
I vote that once we run through the short 3000 series we venture into the 19000 series for AOTW.

I may give the 4000-series a break toward the end of the year...that way, we can maybe get Something Festive slipped into the lineup around the holidays (and then take a holiday break with other A&M Xmas albums as AOTWs, since we haven't done that in a couple of years). After that, it's entirely possible to go back to the 4000's, or maybe pick up the 3500's for a bit (since there are some good titles in that series, like the self-titled Burt Bacharach album and the Foursiders.

The 3000-series, once exhausted, will segue into the Horizon 700's, so it stays with a jazz theme. The Horizons will span more than a year. After that, I may pick another niche like Windham Hill Jazz and the short-lived Magenta (where I have at least a couple to post scans of). Windham Hill, though, I'd probably have to spin off into a separate site (or "Corner" :D ) to do properly.

Mr Bill said:
scanning mofo

Lucky you. :confused: My scanner won't work on the newer AMD Athlon systems I built, so it's attached to the older Pentium Pro under Win98. Problem is, I have this computer as dual-boot, and I usually have it booted into FreeBSD instead. Might see if I can find some scanning software for FreeBSD instead...would rather not have to go back to Win98 if I don't have to. (What...an operating system that doesn't crash? Who'da thunk it??)

-= N =-

I say skip Windham Hill. It wasn't really an A&M label (and that kind of "jazz" smacks too much of a certain Kenny we all love).

--Mr Bill
John: (wearing walkman) Ahh! This new age music is so relaxing!
Martha: (horrified) But John! There's no tape in your Walkman!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom