Non-A&M Reissues...Your Favorites, Your Wish List

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, good news: The first two Mac Davis albums, Songpainter and I Believe In Music, both on one CD just got reissued...! By Cherry Red/TiBird Reissues...

Quickly ordered my copy Wed. & it got to my house Fri. (Just order the "rush shipping"...!)

Lots of liner notes & photos & even w/ the two albums totaling 31 songs (the between-song ad-libs on Songpainter are included), they both fit...

Though the Songpainter is the "re-issue" version from 1974, lacking the musician credits, but has a different shot of Mac Davis playing his guitar on top of the drainage easement as in the original issue...

The song-order is different from the original 1970 edition, too... So I "re-programmed" the songs, after kicking off w/ Track 1 (in which they BOTH start with the same song) and just play the 6-songs that make up "Side 2" of I Believe In Music separately...

There were a couple of non-LP/'45' bonus tracks, not included, however: A bare-bones version "Beginning To Feel The Pain", which Mac would later record on his S/T LP in '73, the Simon & Garfunkel-like "Butterfly Girl" (from the Songpainter sessions) and a different version of "Poem For My Little Lady" backed by strings & a pedal steel guitar, whereas the LP version just has him & his guitar, and "Sweet Dreams & Sarah", backed by The Cissy Houston Singers & New York Strings (which Mac later recorded on Burnin' Thing), both I Believe In Music-era tracks...

Hopefully more will come...

Dave

I have to say that nearly everything I would want to buy on CD either has been issued now, or I've acquired good needle-drop versions. Although in many cases I would still buy a CD of some of my favorite needle-drops (like Herb Alpert's SUMMERTIME).

Currently I am missing:
Al DeLory's version of "Song from M*A*S*H" -- I was able to get a great needle drop on this from a still-sealed LP I got from Gemm.

The Baja Marimba Band catalog. Although I understand the economics of why it hasn't been released, I still wish for it. Come on record company, my FRESH AIR is lonesome and wants some companionship besides the compilations! That said, I got good copies of RIDES AGAIN and THOSE WERE THE DAYS via needle drops (again with still sealed copies found on Gemm) and a friend fixed me up with DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE. Unfortunately I missed the reissue of the first album on the Japanese CD but that's not my favorite album of theirs anyway.

Hugo Montenegro's album PEOPLE...ONE TO ONE. It has his tremendous version of Neil Diamond's "Lordy" on it, plus a few other great tunes.

Two albums by the Mystic Moods: CLEAR LIGHT, and AWAKENING. Both of these albums saw the Moods shift from the lighweight orchestral stuff they are famous for, to more rock/funk based music that is clearly inspired by the Moody Blues and also has some spirituality to it. The song "Conference of the Birds" from CLEAR LIGHT is one of my favorite instrumentals ever. They also had an album EROGENOUS which shifted from the spiritual side into the bedroom, and it was released on CD at some point but I missed it. It's not as good as those other two but I'd still like to have it. I have needle drops of all of these but an original CD would surely sound better.

Sergio Mendes' HORIZONTE ABERTO. Once again, I got a burn of this from a friend, but I would still buy an official version. Very mysterious why this hasn't been released, when almost everything else of his has.

The Lani Hall catalog. I have mixed feelings about this -- this is one catalog I'd like to see issued on iTunes, because I'd like to pick and choose songs from some of the albums. But, if that doesn't happen I would probably still buy at least most, if not all, of the CDs. I have the Japanese SUN DOWN LADY and a very good needle drop of HELLO IT'S ME, and the CLASSICS compilation, and Corner friend Paula sent me a copy of her needle-drop of A BRAZILEIRA, all of which sound great but ... there's room on the shelf, record company people!

We need some Soulful Strings on CD, a lot more Ramsey Lewis ARGO/Cadet sides, Baja Marimba Band albums, for starters. I have the West German UA LP of "Watching Scotty Grow" and a promo US UA single in NM. That West German LP sounds superb and a quiet pressing. And from USA stampers.

I'm glad the six original Bobbie Gentry albums on Capitol have been issued as Two-Fer's (though I can do w/o the Glen Campbell duets offered as bonus tracks, from their "duet album", which thankfully HASN'T been issued in its entirety!)... :hurl:

Just that what's needed is a "catch-all" for the lost singles, demos & even the "lost Slow Cookin' album", of which a few selections have been put on one compilation on Curb, but w/ much of the Capitol stuff...

I, so far, haven't ordered any of them Online, nor had been lucky enough to find any of 'em here at my local music stores for my own Christmas Present, but maybe I can make an effort to obtain them in time for my up-coming 41st Birthday next month...

However, hopefully, someday, there'll be a cheap, if not reasonable way to obtain all the "rare, non-LP stuff" & "lost album tracks" all in one place...

Dave

Silverado (Buzz Goodwin, Carl Shilo) Takin' It All In Stride (RCA) :laugh:

Although, I believe some import label might have reissued their three LP's (Silverado, Takin' It All In Stride, Ready For Love) they did for RCA (w/ Takin'... being my favorite)...

On a positive note: Wounded Bird reissued the two Geoff Muldaur albums he did on Reprise... Geoff Muldaur...Is Having A Wonderful Time and Motion were two slabs o' vinyl I used to be such a fanatic about...!

--& Tom Snow's Hungry Nights is good, too...!

Dave

Mike Blakesley said:
I have to say that nearly everything I would want to buy on CD either has been issued now, or I've acquired good needle-drop versions. Although in many cases I would still buy a CD of some of my favorite needle-drops (like Herb Alpert's SUMMERTIME).

My current line of thinking is that CD really doesn't matter to me anymore. Lately I pull out vinyl copies of anything I want to listen to, even if the CD is sitting a few feet away on the shelf. In fact, I've now taken to replacing CD versions with LP. As for reissues, if it comes out in a 180g pressing, I'm all over it. And, I would consider SACD as well. As CDs are dropping in value and for the most part aren't the best sounding version of an album, I have almost zero desire to buy any more of them. I will defer to CDs if I can't find a clean vinyl copy, and of course they are easier to rip to the Zune library, but I no longer consider them a preferred format.

I can't even tell you the last time I've walked into a record store and gave more than a passing glance at CDs...

I do have Ira Ironstrings Plays Santa Claus on Collectors Choice Music on CD. I wish that they would reissue Ira Ironstrings Plays With Matches from 1959. Another company has reissued Ira Ironstrings Destroys The Polkas for the first time on CD last year. I am also waiting for the late Matty Matlock "The Dixieland Story Volumes 1 & 2" but Collectibles hasn't reissued that on CD yet. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

When I bought the late Henry Mancini "Dear Heart And Other Songs About Love" (1964) (RCA Spain import), the CD sound quality has a couple of scratches & a few dropouts that I noticed when I listened to it on headphones. The song "The New Frankie & Johnnie Song" is one of my favorite from that CD. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Mike Blakesley said:
Al DeLory's version of "Song from M*A*S*H" -- I was able to get a great needle drop on this from a still-sealed LP I got from Gemm.

THE BEST version of it IMHO, one I'd also love to see available.

A few others I'd love to have -

'Doesn't It Seem Like a Miracle' - Suzanne Stevens, from her 'Love's the Only Game in Town' LP (lovely album cover, BTW),

'Modern Day Magic' - Marie Cain, from her 'Living Alone' LP,

'Steal Away Again' - Carol Bayer Sager (Burt Bacharach ex-wife), from her 'Carol Bayer Sager' LP,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkQ9eI3D4Xc

'The Shadow of Your Smile' - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66....performed in concert in late 1967, but never (as far as I know) tracked.....wishful thinking on my part.....

Quoting myself from a while back:
Two albums by the Mystic Moods: CLEAR LIGHT, and AWAKENING. Both of these albums saw the Moods shift from the lighweight orchestral stuff they are famous for, to more rock/funk based music that is clearly inspired by the Moody Blues and also has some spirituality to it. The song "Conference of the Birds" from CLEAR LIGHT is one of my favorite instrumentals ever. They also had an album EROGENOUS which shifted from the spiritual side into the bedroom, and it was released on CD at some point but I missed it. It's not as good as those other two but I'd still like to have it.
I'm happy to announce that all of this Mystic Moods music is now on iTunes. You have to do some digging though...the Clear Light album has been renamed to The Bright Side of the Moon. The other two are available under their own names.

So, it's not CDs, but better than nothing.

A few Gabor Szabo titles have come out on CD as of recently--or at least one particular one that I was in the right place for at the right time...

And that was the Jazz Raga album of which I'd first been introduced to Szabo's works... Leave it to a small company like Light In The Attic Records, who reissued it, containing tons of pics, detailed interviews w/ Gabor, as well as the musicians who played on it & all! (There was a small flyer included w/ the CD containing other reissues they specialize in, too....)

I picked that up along w/ the long-available Spellbinder reissue, a two-fer reissue of his Live albums, The Sorcerer and More Sorcery (though I could do w/o Side 2 of More... as how Sorcerer had originally been reissued w/ just Side 1 of; and that I'd left in the bin) and even ordered a Japanese reissue of his collaboration w/ vibist Gary McFarland Simpático, (of which the recording quality is still not all that good) all on impulse!

-- Dave

hi guys how you all doing? I was reading the posts of the old tom jones and engelbert humperdink on the old parrot label. I agree all of those should be reissued on cd. about a year ago. one of the posts mentioned the first 3 tom jones albums on cd. it might still be in print. it's not unusual, what's new pussycat, and a tom ic jones from the usa. I found my copy the title of it is tom jones chronicles and it is a 3 cd set that came out in 2005, one could try amazon. I bought mine at a used cd store. the picture on the cover is the same for tom jones single picture sleeve thunderball. but if you guys are looking for those with the original artwork. so far nothing.
take care
bob

I am still waiting for "Climax Featuring Sonny Geraci" (1972) (with bonus tracks) to come out on CD because there are BOOTLEGS of those that sound in POOR quality. Also Climax Blues Band "Flying The Flag" (1980) which has the songs "Gotta Have More Love" & "I Love You" (which can be found on the "Cherish" movie soundtrack from 2002 which starred Robin Tunney ("The Mentalist") as well as Climax Blues Band "Lucky For Some" (1981). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I am still waiting for...Climax Blues Band "Lucky For Some" (1981). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Well, good luck seeing that one get reissued...! It was a real underdog, suffering from not having as many hits & 1980's Flying The Flag at least offering a last gasp at one in "I Love You"...

A very under-rated band, as was Climax (and surely by now all of the effort's by Geraci's former group The Outsiders has gotten a good bulk of their material re-released!)...!

-- Dave

Wonder if Wounded Bird Records will reissue the Warner Bros. Climax Blues Band albums on CD?? They did with Seals & Crofts reissues but it seems that the Warner Bros. reissues are gone from their website (except the first 2 albums that were originally on T-A/Bell Records). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Some of Pat Boone's early albums from the 1950's & very early '60's are starting to come out as Two-Fer's...

Hope more of his later catalog from the later '60's & even the '70's will be considered...

-- Dave

Repertoire (from England) has NOW reissued the Climax Blues Band "Flying The Flag" (1980), "Lucky For Some" (1981) & "Sample And Hold" (1983) all on CD. All of them came out back in April 17 of this year. The sound quality sounds excellent!! I also got a Japanese CD import of the late Greg Guidry "Over the Line" (who wrote "Gotta Have More Love" for The Climax Blues Band from "Flying the Flag") who also does the recut of that song & his only Top 40 hit "Goin' Down" which went to # 17 on the Billboard Charts in May of 1982. Greg died in a fire while committing suicide in 2003. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Ronnie aldrich and his two pianos almost all of his london phase 4stereo albums have been reissued in two fers he did some albums after 1980 WHICH HAVE NOT EVEN APPEARED SINCE THEIR ORIGINAL ISSUES THAT SEEMS TO BE COMMONPLACE ALMOST COMPLETE YET MISSING A FEW ALBUMS IN BETWEEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom