• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Nonexistent Carpenters songs that you can just hear

Carpe diem

Since Karen was not averse to singing "novelty songs" like Goofus or B'wana (ok, not so novelty, but her vocal is delightfully playful). How about a Karen version of the Andrews Sisters Rum & Coca-Cola? I can totally hear Karen being provocative and flirtatious with those lyrics! Bette Midler did a version of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy in the 70s and it jump-started her career. While I am at it, how bout a version from Karen of Jo Stafford's I'll Be Seeing You (Jo even had a slight lisp like Karen)?!

This song is mostly unknown in the U.S., but was a big hit in the late 1960s/early 1970s when the Carpenters were starting out. I believe Karen and Richard could have worked some magic with it:

Timmerman

I was listening to Bette Midler's 1990 album "Some People's Lives" this morning and the final song "The gift of love" reminded me of this old thread. Suddenly I could hear Karen singing the song and it gave me a strong "Made in America" vibe, if you know what I mean.
The song was written by the same team responsible for the Bangles' smash "Eternal flame": Billy Steinberg, Tom Kelly and Susanna Hoffs. I first heard it on Norwegian superstar Sissel Kyrkjebø's album "Gift of Love" (1992). I'm including both versions here.

Kacfan

I watched frozen 2 the Disney movie with my young kids last year. The princess’ mother appear briefly in the story and sings a song called “all is found” which ties the whole story together. I thought the song would Ben perfect for Karen to sing and how nice it would be if she was still alive to do the mother’s voice in this wildly popular kids movie and sing that song. Then suddenly I could hear her sing it in my head.

Bobberman

I was listening to Bette Midler's 1990 album "Some People's Lives" this morning and the final song "The gift of love" reminded me of this old thread. Suddenly I could hear Karen singing the song and it gave me a strong "Made in America" vibe, if you know what I mean.
The song was written by the same team responsible for the Bangles' smash "Eternal flame": Billy Steinberg, Tom Kelly and Susanna Hoffs. I first heard it on Norwegian superstar Sissel Kyrkjebø's album "Gift of Love" (1992). I'm including both versions here.

Gift of love is another one of my many favorite ballads of all time it's one of those songs that sticks with you forever

tomswift2002

I was just listening to Dan Seals’ 1985 hit “Bop” and I was noticing how similar it was to the Carpenters “(Want You) Back In My Life Again” and thinking how it could’ve been a great song for Karen to record.

Top Bottom