Nonexistent Carpenters songs that you can just hear

British singer Paul Young did the remake of "What Becomes Of The Broken-hearted" (from the 1992 movie "Fried Green Tomatoes") which starred the late Jessica Tandy, Mary Stuart Matherson & Mary Louise Parker.

Originally posted (tried to delete but couldn't) to the Kristin Chenoweth Tribute album to KC thread yesterday. Better to add here I think.

"For Good" from the musical Wicked. The lyrics are poignant and befitting Karen and Richard. It's about friendship. Richard has always said Karen was his best friend. I'd like to believe all the people who knew Karen and who still get tears in their eyes at the mere thought of her after 30+ years, might say they're all the better for having known her. I can imagine a duet of Karen with Kristin, but now I can see Karen and Richard singing these words to each other one day in another time, another space. The thought of it makes me smile.

Excerpted lyrics:

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives
For a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led to those
Who help us most to grow if we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you

(....)

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So, let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have rewritten mine
By being my friend

(....)

And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done, you blame me for
But then I guess
We know there's blame to share
And none of it seems to matter anymore

Like a comet pulled from orbit (like a ship blown from its mooring)
As it passes the sun (by a wind off the sea)
Like a stream that meets a boulder (like a seed dropped by a bird)
Halfway through the wood (in the wood)

Who can say if I've been changed for the better
I do believe I have been changed for the better
And because I knew you
Because I knew you
Because I knew you
I have been changed
For good

Songwriter: Stephen Schwartz

I would've loved to hear a duet between Karen and David Gates. Their careers had a lot of parallels. They had their heydays around the same time (Make It With You is the song that finally dislodged Close To You from the top spot) and each had hits through the first half of the Seventies. For All We Know was co-written by James Griffin of Bread. I think Karen and David's vocals would complement each other on something like Baby I'm A Want You or (especially) It Don't Matter To Me.

Back
Top Bottom