Nonexistent Carpenters songs that you can just hear

Since Karen was not averse to singing "novelty songs" like Goofus or B'wana (ok, not so novelty, but her vocal is delightfully playful). How about a Karen version of the Andrews Sisters Rum & Coca-Cola? I can totally hear Karen being provocative and flirtatious with those lyrics! Bette Midler did a version of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy in the 70s and it jump-started her career. While I am at it, how bout a version from Karen of Jo Stafford's I'll Be Seeing You (Jo even had a slight lisp like Karen)?!

This song is mostly unknown in the U.S., but was a big hit in the late 1960s/early 1970s when the Carpenters were starting out. I believe Karen and Richard could have worked some magic with it:

I was listening to Bette Midler's 1990 album "Some People's Lives" this morning and the final song "The gift of love" reminded me of this old thread. Suddenly I could hear Karen singing the song and it gave me a strong "Made in America" vibe, if you know what I mean.
The song was written by the same team responsible for the Bangles' smash "Eternal flame": Billy Steinberg, Tom Kelly and Susanna Hoffs. I first heard it on Norwegian superstar Sissel Kyrkjebø's album "Gift of Love" (1992). I'm including both versions here.

I watched frozen 2 the Disney movie with my young kids last year. The princess’ mother appear briefly in the story and sings a song called “all is found” which ties the whole story together. I thought the song would Ben perfect for Karen to sing and how nice it would be if she was still alive to do the mother’s voice in this wildly popular kids movie and sing that song. Then suddenly I could hear her sing it in my head.

I was listening to Bette Midler's 1990 album "Some People's Lives" this morning and the final song "The gift of love" reminded me of this old thread. Suddenly I could hear Karen singing the song and it gave me a strong "Made in America" vibe, if you know what I mean.
The song was written by the same team responsible for the Bangles' smash "Eternal flame": Billy Steinberg, Tom Kelly and Susanna Hoffs. I first heard it on Norwegian superstar Sissel Kyrkjebø's album "Gift of Love" (1992). I'm including both versions here.

Gift of love is another one of my many favorite ballads of all time it's one of those songs that sticks with you forever

I was just listening to Dan Seals’ 1985 hit “Bop” and I was noticing how similar it was to the Carpenters “(Want You) Back In My Life Again” and thinking how it could’ve been a great song for Karen to record.

I recently rediscovered a childhood favourite of mine: Wendy Fine's "There's an orchestra in my kitchen". I hadn't heard it in decades (literally!) but when I did I suddenly imagined Karen singing it and it didn't seem too farfetched an idea. What if she had lived longer and had had children of her own, would the Carpenters or maybe Karen herself have recorded an album for children? If so, this song would have fit perfectly IMO.

Every time I hear Rita Coolidge sing "We're All Alone" I think of Karen's vocals and Richard's potential arrangement of the song. When I hear the Boz Scaggs original version I don't think of Karen at all.

I get it! But think what Richard could do...evident by what he did with Leon Russell songs (Superstar, A Song For You, This Masquerade). When I hear Russell's version of A Song For You, I marvel at what the heck Richard must have "heard" in that song and how he could make it a Carpenters classic. The original is so far from what I'd think as a potential Carpenters song. I'm sure he could do/have done the same with many Boz Scaggs songs!

I can hear two songs with her voice- two classics- "I've Got You Under My Skin" (!) and "You Belong to Me".

I was listening to some Frank Sinatra songs last year and when this one came on I immediately thought it would be perfect for Karen's voice. As soon as I read the title "All The Way" it hit me that this title appears on thr Carpenters "Buried Treasures" list.

One Christmas song I’m surprised they didn’t cover was “Joy To The World”, either as part of a vocal medley or an instrumental. (Here’s an interesting take from the 1980’s )

As soon as I read the title "All The Way" it hit me that this title appears on thr Carpenters "Buried Treasures" list.

We all know it’s highly unlikely - more like impossible - but just imagine for a second that it was the same song and there was a Sinatra cover by Karen sitting there in the vaults. If I’m not mistaken the track is listed as 1980 on that Buried Treasures list, so it would be a Karen vocal of the same quality as the Music, Music, Music recordings.

We all know it’s highly unlikely - more like impossible - but just imagine for a second that it was the same song and there was a Sinatra cover by Karen sitting there in the vaults. If I’m not mistaken the track is listed as 1980 on that Buried Treasures list, so it would be a Karen vocal of the same quality as the Music, Music, Music recordings.

We can dream, can't we?

If it's the same song it's most likely just a few instrumental tracks laid down, never finished.

I wish they had covered some more Sinatra, vocally... and what a shame they never did a duet..

I get it! But think what Richard could do...evident by what he did with Leon Russell songs (Superstar, A Song For You, This Masquerade). When I hear Russell's version of A Song For You, I marvel at what the heck Richard must have "heard" in that song and how he could make it a Carpenters classic. The original is so far from what I'd think as a potential Carpenters song. I'm sure he could do/have done the same with many Boz Scaggs songs!
A bit off topic, but I heard something about Karen being scheduled to record " All Time High" and then suddenly died.
Does anyone know if there is truth to this?

Just heard this for the first time today. A song from 1979 that was a #18 Hot 100 hit and a #1 AC hit. It was a TV show theme song.
It sounds quite a bit like the song "Lovelines" that Karen recorded in 1980 for the solo album. I certainly could imagine her singing this song.

It was yet another theme from song. The short lived tv show called Angie. I was a big fan for a few years, then after that album she went in another direction and I lost interest. Her early albums are pretty good. Definitely was doing similar songs that Carpenters were recording. She did I W’ont Last a Day Without You about the same time, as did Diana Ross. Carpenters didn’t let it get away, and their version was the bigger hit. Unlike Can’t Smile, Masquerade, and I Just Fall in Love Again. All huge for other artists that recorded theirs after they heard K&R’s versions. Carpenters or A&M blew it, in my opinion. I still can’t listen to George Benson’s version of This Masquerade. It’s like nails on a chalkboard.

Not a non existent Carpenters song, but I remember thinking like 20 years ago that Karen should have branched out similarly to her solo album but collaborated with popular artists. I hear her doing Never Gonna Let You Go, that kind of song/duet. Not to downplay Richard and the Carpenters, but I always wished she would have shared her talent and marketed her talent in that kind of direction. Duets and collaborations with other artists to expand her talent and abilities and musical influence. So many other duets to consider where I hear her voice.

I just heard the duet, Something’s Missing In My Life, by Paul Jabara & Donna Summer. He’s not a great singer, but decent song writer. He starts the song out very mellow and subdued, often a little flat. Then Donna comes in and sings it at full voice. Totally overwhelmingly so. It ruins the song. Unfortunately Karen’s unreleased version, a much better interpretation, hasn’t been cleaned up and cleared for an official release, is far superior. I hope those 9 missing tracks see an official remixed or cleaned up release before Richard retires completely.

Back
Top Bottom