November 2021 In Memoriam

Carpenters sax and flute man Bob Messenger has passed away. Bob was not only a staple instrumentally on many of the Carpenters' albums, but also played electric bass in all of their live shows. He also made an appearance vocally on the Carpenters' "Sleigh Ride," with his airy and whimsical reading of the line "There's a Christmas party at the home of Farmer Gray..."

So sad to hear this. Got to meet and thank him at Richard’s Garden Grove Christmas Concert. He was to me, the most recognizable of all the band members too. I always enjoyed watching him play.
R. I. P.

Here is an excellent obituary of the supremely talented Dave Frishberg. In 1974 I saw in concert Herb Alpert and the '74 revival of the Tijuana Brass. It was an outstanding show and Dave was the TJB keyboard player. The lyrics he wrote to his catchy songs had a great degree of wit and sophistication. He wrote Lani Hall's "Wheelers and Dealers". RIP Dave.

Dave Frishberg, Writer of Songs Sardonic and Nostalgic, Dies at 88

Here is an excellent obituary of the supremely talented Dave Frishberg. In 1974 I saw in concert Herb Alpert and the '74 revival of the Tijuana Brass. It was an outstanding show and Dave was the TJB keyboard player. The lyrics he wrote to his catchy songs had a great degree of wit and sophistication. He wrote Lani Hall's "Wheelers and Dealers". RIP Dave.

Dave Frishberg, Writer of Songs Sardonic and Nostalgic, Dies at 88
Terrible loss. Extraordinary talent. RIP...

Back
Top Bottom