Odd New Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Just noticed an import listing for another Carpenters compilation, this one called Please Mr. Postman. It seems like a lot of the tracks from Horizon are on this one.

1. Aurora
2. Desperado
3. Eventide
4. Happy
5. I Can Dream Can't I
6. Love Me For What I Am
7. Only Yesterday
8. Please Mr Postman
9. Solitaire
10. We've Only Just Begun
11. A Song For You
12. Superstar
13. Sing

I don't quite know the concept they were after with this release. It's due out 6/8/2002.

Please Mr. Postman (preorder)

-= N =-

For some reason, the tunes from the Carpenters' HORIZON album keep showing up on odd compilations in Europe, most notably the Netherlands. Something goofy must've happened regarding the licensing of those songs over there, because this is about the third time I can recall a compilation coming out with mostly tunes from HORIZON, one of the common ones called THE RADIO YEARS. From what I've been told, these albums have really poor quality sound, and are essentially like bootlegs. Stick with the real thing!

Harry
NP: early morning silence

What struck me about this one is that it seems so pointless. Majority are Horizon tracks, with four other hits tacked onto the end. If someone already owned Horizon, there's really no point to getting this one. And it's not like Horizon is that difficult to find.

-= N =-

I first saw this new compilation yesterday at one of the online stores, with a June 16 release date by "ANGEL AIR". Like Harry, I thought about Radio Years and its variations and was wondering if this one isn't similar in terms of poor sound quality. :?:

I don't get the concept behind it, either. Perhaps it's supposed to tie in somehow with another new item, like a karaoke re-release or something? :idea: Just speculation.

In any event, it has "A Song For You". Don't usually see that on a compilation.

Foolishly, I ordered this CD via CDNOW. Boy was I disappointed. I thought it was a new release with remixes by Richard! What was I thinking. The sound quality was horrible, and I returned it. Luckily, CDNOW refunded my order.
Steve

I saw this one on eBay from Argentina. Yet another HORIZON rip-off clone:

i-1.JPG

Harry
...in a thread with Dan and Steve again -- who'da thunk it?, online...

I think this bolsters what I've heard some folks saying, that the copyright on the Horizon recordings must not have been properly renewed and have somehow slipped into the public domain. Now everyone and his brother is going hog wild repackaging it as a "new" CD. :shock:

Not 100% certain, but didn't the current international copyright treaty go into effect in 1978, and every artist and author was given a limited time to renew under the 50-year posthumous protection period? I believe the old treaty protected works for 26 years, but you could renew at the end of the those years for another 26. (1975 + 26 = 2001) But...didn't Radio Years start showing up earlier than 2001? Maybe I have the old protection period wrong.

Still, I'm hoping this is nothing more than another rumor. Would be nice if Universal or whoever were lawfully able to crack down on these Horzon clones. Love Me Forever...:rolleyes: Yet if it's true, how come "We've Only Just Begun", "A Song For You", "Superstar", and "Sing" showed up on this latest one?:twitchy:

thinking up some unprintable expletives for bootleggers, OL....:),

testerguy35 said:
Foolishly, I ordered this CD via CDNOW. Boy was I disappointed. I thought it was a new release with remixes by Richard! What was I thinking. The sound quality was horrible, and I returned it. Luckily, CDNOW refunded my order.
Steve

I wonder if it's possible to get someone like Richard or the record label (if they even care) involved? If the online music stores find out it's a bootleg, they wouldn't want to carry it. It's legal hot water for them to carry 'unlicensed' product. (But if it is indeed properly licensed but a shoddy production, all we can say is "buyer beware.")

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom