"Offering" Album Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycem

I have been wondering for years why Karen and Rich aren't on the front cover of the Offering album? Anyone shed some light on that for me?

Bryce

K&R are indeed on the cover of the original 1969 Offering sleeve:

offering.jpg

They also appeared when it was re-released in 1971 as 'Ticket To Ride', on the famous sailing boat picture at Lake Tahoe.

tickettoride.jpg

Not sure whether you have some sort of later budget release or something, which does not feature them.

Stephen

I also think that Richard & Karen the Offering cover look very much Unlike "how we usually recognize" Richard & Karen, too... The headband on Karen, if y'all don't mind me saying, well, kind'a makes her look like she's wearing a "habit"--like a "Nun"...! :shock: And Richard looks very "clergy-like", as well; maybe people had them lamped as "Christian Rock"? :o

Maybe that's why The Carpenters first LP was reissued--new photo, new title and all... (though the flowers Karen is holding look nice) :angel:

Ticket To Ride just seemed to go better with the contents inside compared to what my impression of Offering would be... (and has been, as I, too, once had "the original"--though for A Buck and not in the best of shape)

Dave

Dave said:
The headband on Karen, if y'all don't mind me saying, well, kind'a makes her look like she's wearing a "habit"--like a "Nun"...! :shock:

To Richard, she'll always be "Sister Karen"!

:laugh:

Harry

Thanks for clearing this up guys.... With album covers like that and Close to You, poor Karen and Richard didn't stand a chance as far as image was concerned. A&M what were you thinking!! Makes me wonder that if they had a better image then maybe Karen would of thought as much of herself as the rest of us do and avoided going through what she did... One can only wonder about these things though...

Bryce

Harry said:
I have a feeling that Bryce is of the opinion that the people on the OFFERING cover look very little like Karen and Richard Carpenter.

Well, it really IS them. Here's the photographer, Jim McCrary's page mentioning the shoot:

http://www.jimmccrary.com/pages/page2/pages/carps30.htm

Harry

About 3 years ago I wrote Jim an email asking where the 'Offering' picture was taken. He told me it was at the intersection of Highland and Franklin Ave in Hollywood. The original spot that Karen and Richard are standing on has been renovated. Today, there is a building on that spot.

GOODY4SHOES said:
Rudy said:
I remember Richard himself saying how horrible that cover shot was. He said "I look Asian!" :laugh:

Thats exactly what I thought. no wonder I never got a reply when I emailed Richards PA and asked why are there two weird asian people on the Offering album cover :oops: whoops!! Hope I didn't cause offence....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom