• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Offering

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Considering it was released 6 years after her passing and to all intents and purposes is a compilation of unknown tracks, it’s impressive that Lovelines sold almost half a million copies in the US. It wasn’t released until ten months after the TV movie, so that can’t have propelled its sales either.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (2018) (2020) 100,000

Silver = 60,000
Gold = 100,000
Richard was presented with a Silver award on The One Show when he was in the UK to promote the album. Does this mean that the album has since officially gone Gold in the UK?

Simon KC1950

Hi
Great info.Have you got Australia,Canada ,Hong Kong.Etc.Sales/Data.?
The sales I have for Australia and Canada are not certified or official but here goes:

-Ticket To Ride
Canada: 75,000
Australia: 75,000

-Close To You
Canada: 325,000
Australia: 100,000

-Carpenters
Canada: 400,000
Australia: 100,000

-A Song For You
Canada: 300,000
Australia: 150,000

-Greatest Hits of the Carpenters Vol.1
Australia: 200,000

-The Singles 1969-1973
Canada: 800,000

-Now & Then
Canada: 275,000
Australia: 200,000

-Greatest Hits of the Carpenters Vol. 2
Australia: 75,000

-Horizon
Canada: 200,000
Australia: 60,000

-A Kind Of Hush
Canada: 75,000
Australia: 20,000

-Live At The Palladium
Canada: 30,000

-Passage
Canada: 50,000
Australia: 35,000

-Christmas Portrait
Canada: 300,000

-Made In America
Australia: 25,000

-The Very Best of Carpenters
Australia: 150,000

-Voice of the Heart
Australia: 30,000

-Only Yesterday
Australia: 300,000

Simon KC1950

Hong Kong is a really interesting one because the Carpenters were reportedly huge there (they even performed concerts in Hong Kong in 1972). I cannot find sales or many chart positions for the Carpenters in Hong Kong so if anyone can find any, it would be much appreciated.

Here are the chart peaks I have been able to gather for Hong Kong:

• Hurting Each Other #7
  • It's Going To Take Some Time #4
  • Goodbye To Love #1
  • Sing #1
  • Yesterday Once More #1
  • I Won't Last A Day Without You #1
  • Calling Occupants #11
Clearly many are missing, but I also have a couple of official certifications from the IFPI Hong Kong:

• Carpenters Classics Gold (1980)
  • Yesterday Once More Platinum (1990).
This quote is taken from the Splashing Rocks article Karen Carpenter's Posthumous Conquest of China:
"As documented in Billboard magazine's periodic listing of international pop charts, no less than three Carpenters' singles reached No. 1 on the Hong Kong hit parade in 1973: I Won't Last a Day Without You (No. 1 for 6 weeks!); Sing; and Yesterday Once More. At that time, Hong Kong was still a British Crown Colony and thus not part of Chinese sovereignty. Nonetheless, its population was overwhelmingly Chinese. It is fair to say that the Carpenters' early success in Hong Kong presaged their subsequent popularity in Mainland China years later."

GaryAlan

May 30, 1972 is the Hong Kong Concert date: "... sell-out concert there..." (CFCN #16, August 1972).
Billboard (March 18) has that same concert date listed as May 29th:
"A & M' s Carpenters For 6 -Wk Tour
NEW YORK - Karen and Richard Carpenter, A & M Records artists, have been set for a six -week
tour through the Far East, Australia and Japan. The tour will open May 8 in Sydney, Australia,
with subsequent dates in Adelaide, Melbourne, and Brisbane. Following a May 29 date in
Hong Kong, the Carpenters will tour Japan in a series of one- nighters starting in Tokyo on
June 1 and following with dates in Osaka, Nagoya and Kyoto.
"

Goodby To Love was #3 on Hong Kong chart 10/14/72 (Billboard).

adam

Hong Kong is a really interesting one because the Carpenters were reportedly huge there (they even performed concerts in Hong Kong in 1972). I cannot find sales or many chart positions for the Carpenters in Hong Kong so if anyone can find any, it would be much appreciated.

Here are the chart peaks I have been able to gather for Hong Kong:

• Hurting Each Other #7
  • It's Going To Take Some Time #4
  • Goodbye To Love #1
  • Sing #1
  • Yesterday Once More #1
  • I Won't Last A Day Without You #1
  • Calling Occupants #11
Clearly many are missing, but I also have a couple of official certifications from the IFPI Hong Kong:

• Carpenters Classics Gold (1980)
  • Yesterday Once More Platinum (1990).
This quote is taken from the Splashing Rocks article Karen Carpenter's Posthumous Conquest of China:
"As documented in Billboard magazine's periodic listing of international pop charts, no less than three Carpenters' singles reached No. 1 on the Hong Kong hit parade in 1973: I Won't Last a Day Without You (No. 1 for 6 weeks!); Sing; and Yesterday Once More. At that time, Hong Kong was still a British Crown Colony and thus not part of Chinese sovereignty. Nonetheless, its population was overwhelmingly Chinese. It is fair to say that the Carpenters' early success in Hong Kong presaged their subsequent popularity in Mainland China years later."
Hi
Any information on Chart positions for Top of the world,Please Mr Postman,Only Yesterday.etc on Hong kong.Malaysia,Singapore charts?

Top Bottom