Oh No, It's Back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Smoooooooth jazz has returned to Austin radio, unfortunately, this time on a low-watt station. A friend had told me he had heard it the other day, and the first tune he heard was by Boney James - not a good start. I listened to it on the way home from work, and it was a myriad of high-squawking saxes and smoothy guitar riffs. At least I didn't hear that Kenny guy. Time to put some Sonny Rollins in the changer....

Capt. Bacardi

Cap'n-You mean you aren't saving your hard earned dough for ULTIMATE KENNY G,a 19 track hits collection available June 10th,replacing the original GH package? A new track,"Everlasting" plus a couple of rareties-unfortunately,none of them are the Sound of Silence...or a reworking of his most popular album BREATHE LESS,oops, I guess that should be BREATHLESS. Mac

jimac51 said:
-unfortunately,none of them are the Sound of Silence...or a reworking of his most popular album BREATHE LESS,oops, I guess that should be BREATHLESS. Mac

Oh gosh, we could only hope! :wink:

Our Smooooothie station must be doing poorly--they're now playing soft rock in their mix. Hall & Oates, Phil Collins, and others that don't even remotely fit the format. Usually such drastic changes predate a format change, or so it has gone here in Detroit. It's a little different from what they did to our classic rock station--they tuned it up and improved it, dumped the soft rock crap and actually started playing Led Zep again.

Listening to Solid Gold Oldies on Music Choice right now--at least they know how to program Oldies, not tired Motown stuff 24 hours a day like all our local oldies stations. :sad: "Secret Agent Man" is on right now, and "Get A Job" (Silhouettes) just finished. :D

A friend of mine is involved in the smooth jazz format. She tells me that the oldies are there simply to attract oldies and adult contemporary listeners when they tune away from their favorite stations....and admits that apart from that (attracting an audience that otherwise wouldn't listen) they have no place in terms of concept or flow.

But let's not be too hard on Smooth Jazz...I don't know about your town, but here in Phoenix, it's the only station that played Steely Dan's last CD, or that offers any hope of playing the new one.

---Michael Hagerty

jimac51 said:
Cap'n-You mean you aren't saving your hard earned dough for ULTIMATE KENNY G,a 19 track hits collection available June 10th,replacing the original GH package?

Well, that's mighty tempting, but I think I could put my money to better use, such as donating to some skanky hooker with no teeth. :freak: I'd probably be better off...

jimac51 said:
I guess that should be BREATHLESS.

Or maybe WORTHLESS! :D

Capt. Bacardi

Rudy said:
Our Smooooothie station must be doing poorly--they're now playing soft rock in their mix. Hall & Oates, Phil Collins, and others that don't even remotely fit the format.

Yeah, I heard this new station doing some of Eric Clapton's acoustic MTV thing this afternoon. It's not even remotely close to jazz. I mean, I like Clapton as a rocker and bluesman, but jazz he ain't! :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Miles Davis - Seven Steps To Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom