Old TJB Videos, Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I must admit I must have a foggy memory. It was over 30 years ago that I saw the TV special for Beat Of The Brass. I finally acquired a cheap copy of it a couple of months ago.

All I can say is, "interesting artifact." :confused: It's interesting to see all of the Brass, and I do remember a couple of the skits very vaguely (like "Talk To The Animals"). But at this late date, I can fully understand why a lot of this footage never has (and likely never will) see the light of day on modern video. There really isn't much appeal for this type of video to any but the most rabid of Alpert admirers (that's us :D ), watching Herb and the band pose, mug and lip synch for the TV audience. It's definitely cornball, in a quaint 60's sort of way (not to mention slightly embarassing in a couple of moments). A nice hour-long video of highlights from these 60's shows would be more than enough for me...or as part of something like a two-hour career retrospective video.

Yes, these are of interest to some TV watchers, but if you haven't seen this video yet, you're not missing much. :| If you can get it at a fire sale price, go for it...just don't hock the farm for it. :confused:

-= N =-

Hi! Where did you get the video? I always thought that the TJB was cornyer on TV than on the recordings, although I never saw the original group in person. Later...Jay

I don't know what you're talking about Rudy. As far as variety specials go, it's better than ones that are currently available like Movin' with Nancy. Hell, if Rhino can release Pink Lady and Jeff on video, then there is certainly a demand for the TJB specials. Don't under estimate the power of the TJB. I bet there are a lot of people that would pick the specials up. I bet there are a lot of people who would buy TJB videos but not cds. And Jay, all of the specials have been listed on eBay at one time or another. The prices have ranged between $15 and $500. I agree with Rudy that you should not pay high prices for them but mainly because there are a million copies floating around now so none of them are that rare. Not because they aren't worth the time to watch them. It's always worth watching the TJB ride dune buggies in tuxedos.
Olé,
Kenny

I fall somewhere in between these two views. I was thrilled to finally get the video (LaserDisc) program put together by Lani Hall in 1990 of THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT. That package rather seemlessly put the really good stuff together in a watchable and failrly entertaining fashion. It's a shame that the US was ignored at release time though.

I've also gotten one of those "circulated" copies of the first TV special (SINGER PRESENTS), and can see where Rudy is coming from on the matter. There are times when it's a bit kitschy. I haven't seen BEAT OF THE BRASS in years (save for the excerpts on the VERY BEST OF), and can only vaguely remember the video parts of the BRASS ARE COMIN', since I've had access to my own old reel-to-reel audio copy all these years.

At the time these specials were made, Herb and the boys were flying high on the charts and could do virtually no wrong. In those days before MTV and cable channels, shows like this were the only way to get "up close and personal" with our favorite musical artists, and as such were very popular with fans, myself included. Those telecasts were VERY special in our household, and were quite the *event.*

Given the choice of acquiring the old videos by seeking out bootlegged copies and suffereing through poor quality video and audio, I'm content to wait it out, even if that wait turns out to be fruitless. Having the LaserDisc of the best stuff helps keep me content, yet if the three specials (or one, or two) ever made it onto official DVDs, I'll be first in line on release day.

Harry
...who might use the word "kitschy" in yet another post, online...

I doubt I would even be close to "first in line" to get any of these early videos (more like "buy it used" or "wait for cutout")...outside of fans like us, the general public will probably just chuckle at it in the DVD rack and buy something better. If these were all on one DVD for a low price ($19.99 or less), then maybe. From a musical and artistic standpoint, there's nothing new here. Musically we're just lip synching. Artistically we're just mugging and hamming...so there's no real acting here either. IMHO, after waiting all these years to see one of these specials again, it sure has been a letdown! Certainly took away any urge I had to see the others, other than the Coney Island special which featured The Muppets.

A good collection (like the long-forgotten Laserdisc) is the way to go, highlighting the good moments from each show. (The spot with Louis Armstrong, for instance, is priceless.) And even from a commercial standpoint, a "best of" is always an easier sell than the individual shows. There's just no huge following of TJB fans like there was in the 60's...and with todays mega-corporations running music and video, chances are slim for any small niche project.

-= N =-

I liked The Beat Of The Brass for the most part, although there is some cornball stuff in it, like the "California Girls" segment. But I enjoyed the bit at the Preservation Hall, and the sports scenes associated with "Slick". Now, if you want TRUE corniness, then the Brass Are Comin' video is where it's at! :D It almost had a Monkees look to it. On the other hand, it does have the live performance at the end of the show, so it's worthwhile just for that.

I think we need to remember what TV was like in the 60's. There was still an air of innocence at the time, and variety shows were somewhat similar to the TJB specials. I just happened to play the first three specials last weekend, and I had a good laugh at the commercials for the Singer Presents... special, where they advertised what looked like a 19" TV for $385 (which would go for about $120 today).

I'm still hoping to land the Kraft Music show sometime. It would be neat to see the entire show where Herb jams with Louis Armstrong. I have the audio, but I don't remember much about the video. One of these days...

Capt. Bacardi

Unfortunately I don't keep track of TV specials by the sponsors. And the video I have doesn't have any commercials. (It has "INSERT COMMERCIAL HERE" at the appropriate places.) If the Kraft special was earlier (pre-Beat Of The Brass), I may have seen it online at one point.

The Coney Island special is the one I remember the most. I watched it a couple of times when it was on TV, but also taped it onto cassette, and played the tape dozens of times.

-= N =-

Again, I have to respectfully disagree with Rudy. I think if the day ever came where the TJB specials became available on DVD, you would see middle age men and silver foxes all over the world lining up at the stores to buy copies. It would be TJB mania. Seriously though, it's hard to say what the demand for Tijuana Brass product is seeing how THERE ISN'T ANYTHING WORTH BUYING! Definitive Hits? Why would anyone buy that? If that hasn't sold well, I can understand it. But what the hell do I know. I do think they could easily package all four specials on one disc and sell it for $19.99. FYI, the Kraft Show the Captain was referring to wasn't a one off special. It was the long running variety show called the Kraft Music Hall.
Kenny

I teach band in an elementary school and it's interesting that every kid knows, has heard or likes "Spanish Flea". If Herb Alpert were to do a 2002 version and video for MTV he would be popular with another generation. The last generation he hit was the "Rise" folk in 1979. But then again why should Herb listen to me. "Baile Buffet" sales have not been stellar. :cry: Later amigos...Jay

Noted-I understand that a video was issued in 1991 in connection with the issuing of the very best cd.Do you know where i can get a copy please

Joe Carey

Joe, the video of THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT was released around 1991 in both the UK and Japan. The UK version was in PAL and the Japanese version was NTSC with a few Japanese subtitles under the spoken parts. It was never released in the United States. The copy I picked up was a rare entity indeed, a Japanese LaserDisc, but I was thrilled to find it on eBay. That's pretty much where you'll have to go to find one these days -- online auctions where prior owners might be selling one off. I recall seeing one listed there just a week or so ago, in VHS format (NTSC, I believe) being sold by someone in the Carolinas of the US.

One other nice thing about THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT on video is the inclusion of one new song that Herb never put on any album, "Ode To The Sun" which is used to both open and close the program. It's a plaintive trumpet melody played to Michel Colombier's keyboard work -- nicely done.

Harry
...lucky owner of the Japanese LaserDisc, online...

:D My life is complete so to speak now that I have all 3 TJB videos. I am the ultimate TJB fan & find all 3 specials as cool today as when I saw them as a kid in the 60's. My 13 year old , my 16 year old and all the friends & relatives I subject the TV specials to ;think they are great. Sure they are corny sure they are imaginative & funny but they contain some of the greatest music ever.I'm postive if they were released today they would still be a demand. I have even been contacted by fans looking for theres videos. I always share, great music must be shared!
I've said it before & I'll say it again ...there is nothing more thrilling for me as in the last segment of The Brass are comin... when the "on air" light comes on you hear the intro to The Lonely Bull L I V E !!!!!That live arrangement of that song just blows me away.....off in tjb land, Marty Covais

Hey! I have been longing for quite some time to see the Herb Alpert & TJB TV special I saw as a kid in 1968. I would love to get a good quality copy, either DVD or VHS. Does anyone know where I could aquire one? I have read the posts here but am still clueless as to where to get one. Also, I have no expectations about this show being one of the great moments in TV history....it just brings back such happy memories for me of a time when I thought Herb Alpert was the end all be all!
:D
Still a FAN!
Jewels

Don't know which TJB show or special it was on, but my most vivid memory was Herb's performance of "This Guy's In Love With You" to his then-wife, Sharon (I think). Maybe because I thought it a bit on the mushy side, like some of the previous comments about TJB's videos, or maybe due to the irony that it wasn't sung to Lani Hall...?

Tim: that was on the video that I have, for the Beat Of The Brass album. Definitely cornball in a 60's sort of way! :D The only scene I really remember was the section for "Talk To The Animals". Beyond that, I can't remember that far back! (I had to be 3 or 4 years old around that time.)

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom