Olivia Newton-John 73 passed away

Then from the morning of Thursday 11th of August:-

Victoria confirms state service for Olivia Newton-John as husband pens moving tribute to Grease star.​

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed on Thursday that Newton-John's family had accepted the government's offer of a state service.

Mr Andrews announced on Thursday that Newton-John's niece, Tottie Goldsmith, had accepted his offer of a state service on behalf of the family.

"This would be much more of a concert than a funeral," he said.

"It will be an appropriate celebration of such a rich and generous life."

He said he would talk to the family about how to appropriately celebrate the star.

From ABC News Australia.

It’s strange to me to read the words, “Newton-John, best known for her role as Sandy in the 1978 classic, Grease.....”, in the news story, above.

To me, Grease was just one of many things that Olivia did and not necessarily the biggest / greatest thing.

Interestingly, I think that the above news stories were written for younger readers who got to know Olivia through revivals of ‘Grease’ later on..... or, more likely, by a younger reporter in their 30s or early forties who got to know Olivia by re-runs of Grease and wasn’t really aware of her earlier / later work and achievements.

It appears this is the cover, faithful to the original and font, this looks so nice.

pWtL3fy.jpg
Well, to the US edition anyway. In the UK it was issued simply as “Olivia Newton-John” with a cropped version of that cover photo. Different fonts were used around the world.

Last edited:
Here’s an interview from 2018 when news broke of her 3rd return of cancer. It almost runs as a tribute from so many celebrities. There are so many close ups of Olivia and her responses so personal of her cancer return.

Olivia, just a remarkable woman. I’m going to miss her so much. It’s been a tough week.

Here’s an interview from 2018 when news broke of her 3rd return of cancer. It almost runs as a tribute from so many celebrities. There are so many close ups of Olivia and her responses so personal of her cancer return.

Olivia, just a remarkable woman. I’m going to miss her so much. It’s been a tough week.

Thank you for that YT link, Rick, I had only seen smaller portions of that program.

Let's just keep on celebrating Olivia's rich life and let her ever positive and strong spirit be something to learn from.
Having a sip of Aussie wine right now in Olivia's honor 🍷 #cheerz

Greg

I’d been expecting this news any day for quite a while, so when I finally heard it on Monday evening (UK time), it wasn’t a shock. As with Karen Carpenter, she’ll live on through her work that she’s left us with.

When the reissue campaign was announced, it mentioned that it would take many years and I knew Olivia herself wouldn’t live to see much of it through. I love how she got all her affairs in order, including future re-releases of her albums.

Making A Good Thing Better from 1977 was the first of her albums that I listened to after she died. I’ve always sensed a relaxed, summery feel to that album. It didn’t do too well but to me it’s one of her best.
You may be pleased then to read this review from exactly 45 years ago this month, Alan :)

Clipping from the Birmingham Evening Mail, August 1977 (MAGTB)

Olivia’s Greatest Hits release in 1977 is being re-issued as a Deluxe CD Edition. Pre orders are up on Amazon. So nice to see the original cover being used. Beautiful!!

Amazon product ASIN B0BBB5SX2S
We know Olivia has a huge following in Japan just like Carpenters. Japan has also announced her Greatest Hits being re released as a Deluxe CD Edition exclusive to Japan you get a personal note from Olivia to Japanese fans and a poster inside.

This item is a beauty. Exclusive to Target in the US.

Olivia Newton John - Greatest Hits 1971-1982 (2LP)
  • Olivia Newton-John’s Greatest Hits 1971-1982 (remastered) features her biggest international hits in a deluxe 2-LP package. It contains Olivia’s US Top 40 hits from her Greatest Hits 1 and 2 collections including the #1 singles “I Honestly Love You,” “Physical,” and “Hopelessly Devoted To You.”
  • This Target-exclusive tracklist represents a time when Olivia saw major success on the musical charts as well as at the box office.
  • The 2-disc set includes Vol. 1 on blue vinyl and Vol. 2 on pink vinyl.
  • Only at Target.
Disc 1

Side A
1. If Not For You
2. Changes
3. Let Me Be There
4. If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
5. I Honestly Love You
6. Have You Never Been Mellow

Side B
1. Please Mr. Please
2. Something Better To Do
3. Let It Shine
4. Come On Over
5. Don’t Stop Believin’
6. Sam

Disc 2

Side A

1. Heart Attack
2. Magic
3. Physical
4. Hopelessly Devoted To You
5. Make A Move On Me

Side B
1. A Little More Love
2. You're The One That I Want
3. Tied Up
4. Suddenly
5. Xanadu

GUEST_13d71a89-075d-4b4d-983c-fe30a9939852

Last edited:
There are just a few issues I have with that Target LP set. The last 2 photos are flipped. You know how we see Carpenters photos of Richard and Karen and the photos are flipped the wrong way and it bugs you? Well that’s the case with those last 2 photos and the last one they actually photoshopped the logo off her shirt which says Newton-John. There are so many great photos of her why go through all that and then flip it too. The other issue is this a Ume release and based on past issues from Carpenters vinyl from Ume. I will stay clear of that Target purchase.

I have ordered the Japan Deluxe CD of Greatest Hits which contains a bonus poster inside and based on notes from their website includes a note from Olivia just before she passed away to her fans in Japan. I know this will be very emotional for me to read and get this release in my hands.

I’m also looking forward to the Primary Wave release on Sept 9 of “If Not For You” Deluxe Edition. Supposedly the cover front and back has been shown online and it looks to be an excellent track list. I’m really looking forward to this release as well.

It’s going to be hard not seeing Olivia from home release a video of her to announce these releases like she did for the Physical Deluxe set last year.
She is going to be missed by so many....all around the world. She left a legacy for us to treasure. 💕

Got "Have You Never Been Mellow" (1975 on CD), "Gold" (2 CD set), "Christmas Wish" (CD from 2007), "Christmas Collection" (CD from 2010),"This Christmas " (with John Travolta from 2012 on CD), "Friends For Christmas" (with John Farnham from 2016 on CD) & "Back With A Heart" (1998 on CD) but that is it.

Don't know if this has been posted already in the forums somewhere (please delete if it has) ----

Olivia Newton-John State Funeral Date Set for Sunday, Feb 26, 2023 @ Hamer Hall, Arts Centre Melbourne, at 4:00pm.
Tickets are free with registration starting Feb 10, 2023. Event to be live-streamed. Details @ official site below:

On my Facebook timeline today, I received a post from Olivia Newton-John's Facebook page showing a video of her creating a duet of the song Jolene with Dolly Parton. They both sang their parts from what looked like their home recording studios. It was a bittersweet performance. People commented that evidently this is a new video posting.

The video has been officially released, it’s available to purchase on iTunes and it’s been uploaded to official vevo. This track will appear on her much awaited duets album to be released May 5 2023 on CD, Vinyl and digital download. Just The Two of Us: The Duets Collection Volume I
The full track listings can be found here:

I have been told Olivia recorded her duet “Jolene" with Dolly in Fall 2021
Olivia’s originally recorded Jolene on her 1976 album, Come On Over.

Last edited:
It’s very possible this was her last recording, we would lose her approximately 10 months later and she could still hit those high notes at the end.

I read somewhere yesterday that this was the last thing she ever recorded in the studio.

On a related note, a friend tipped me off about a series of videos on YouTube channel Oliviology than fans are raving about. I watched the one about the album Totally Hot and really enjoyed it. Lots of archive footage from the album’s photoshoot, plus extracts from rare TV appearances including one hilarious moment with Australian DJ Molly Meldrum :)

RIP Olivia. :sad: Thanks for all the music and the memories... we honestly loved you...

I imagine that, in Rock and Roll Heaven, KC is hosting the most epic welcome party for her bestie !!
The old song said: "If there's a Rock & Roll Heaven they must have a helluva band." With a couple of super lead singers....maybe doing a trio with Elvis...

I read somewhere yesterday that this was the last thing she ever recorded in the studio.

On a related note, a friend tipped me off about a series of videos on YouTube channel Oliviology than fans are raving about. I watched the one about the album Totally Hot and really enjoyed it. Lots of archive footage from the album’s photoshoot, plus extracts from rare TV appearances including one hilarious moment with Australian DJ Molly Meldrum :)

These are so great and much work went into editing all this together, very professional. I’m only up to 3rd video. I hope this person continues but they haven’t uploaded for 6 months. I’d love to see something like this for Carpenters.

Back
Top Bottom