Olivia Newton-John 73 passed away

I just watched the service for Olivia via the livestream from 0400 here in the UK. Lots of music and memories shown and heard. There were a few photos shown of Olivia with Karen including Karens wedding also.

Olivia Newton-John state memorial remembers an Australian icon with 'a little bit of magic'.​

Life with Dame Olivia Newton-John was, her husband John Easterling says, "a little bit of magic" every day.

Months after her passing, some of that magic was still felt at Melbourne's Hamer Hall on Sunday afternoon as friends, family and fans gathered to say goodbye.

The singer, actor and health advocate died in August last year, after a long battle with cancer.

Speaking to a star-studded state memorial service, Easterling recalled the pair knowing "how lucky we were to have found each other, how in love we were and how much happiness we were experiencing".

"In an order of magnitude where we thought maybe we should feel guilty because we were so happy," he said.

"But we decided we'd feel gratitude and just let the happiness run at full throttle."

Newton-John's happiness and strength was a theme throughout her life, from her birth in the UK to her childhood in Australia and her career in the US.

While the entertainer lived in the public eye, filled with accolades and awards, Easterling said "what made her most happy was being on the ranch, with the horses, chickens, cats, sitting in the courtyard, just listening to bird songs".

Choking back tears, her daughter Chloe Lattanzi remembered just how much she enjoyed those moments with her "mama".

"My mum could find the beauty in everything," she said.

"My favourite thing to do was watch her watching the birds and the flowers, smelling her roses.

"And the joy it brought to her face was a thing of beauty."

Supported on stage by her partner, Lattanzi said her heart was "broken in two".

"I feel like a little girl lost without her mother," she said.

"She was my safe space, my guide, my biggest fan and the earth beneath my feet."

She said her mother's presence was with her — and that Newton-John would want everyone to know how grateful she was.

But on Sunday, it was those whose lives were touched by the entertainer who wanted to share their gratitude.

Newton-John remembered for 'the life and light she brought into the world'​

In a video tribute from stars across the globe, Dolly Parton thanked the singer for "shining your light on us".

Sir Elton John said the entertainer was "kind, she was warm and she was talented", and her bravery and optimism would stay with him forever.

Entertainers such as Hugh Jackman, RuPaul Charles, Pink, Mariah Carey, The Bee Gees' Sir Barry Gibb, Nicole Kidman and Sir Cliff Richard spoke of their enduring love and respect for the star.

Addressing the room on behalf of the entertainment industry, Richard Wilkins said it was "a community that Olivia loved and respected so much and vice versa".

"At the end of the day, Olivia will not only be remembered for the wonderful music, the fabulous films and all those awards," he said.

"The record sales, chart positions, box office receipts but for the life and light she brought into the world and received in return."

No more clearly was Newton-John's life and light felt than in the charities she worked with over the years.

Newton-John was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992.

In the decades since, she worked tirelessly to help others having similar experiences.

Cancer researcher Matthias Ernst from the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Research Institute said she "generously donated her time and personally shared her passion" with many of the laboratory staff.

"It was Olivia's warmth and her easygoing personality, her authenticity that reinforced their conviction to dedicate their careers to one of the most destructive health challenges of our time," Professor Ernst said.

Debbie Shiell from the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre said Newton-John was a "visionary" who knew what the centre needed to deliver holistic care for patients.

She said critically ill patients were left "beaming" when they got to interact with her.

"Not because she's a superstar but because of the understanding that comes from a shared human experience," she said.

Singing along to a medley of hits performed by Delta Goodrem, the audience at Hamer Hall were connected to the star one more time through song.

It was a reminder of the story John Easterling shared about the first time he heard Newton-John sing.

"It hit me like a laser beam in the chest," he said.

"Olivia was a healer."

February 26th, 2023, ABC News, (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).

Back
Top Bottom