Olivia Newton-John 73 passed away

I bet a state funeral will be offered, if Olivia is buried in Australia. (Might be buried in the US). A nine-minute tribute was on the news this evening.
The media is reporting a state funeral has been offered and accepted by ONJ's family.

Monday evening (European time), I came here to read more posts after a long absence, but then spotted this one on top and my heart almost stopped, I just couldn't believe it, couldn't even open it to read, just too sad... Been a fan since seeing Grease as a 6-year old in '78. Nine years later Karen & Richard's music entered my life (big time, I may say!) and when learning of Karen's & Olivia's friendship, it's been Olivia & Carpenters happily way up there for me ever since.

I just learned about how bad the pain had become for Olivia these last few weeks, so I'm glad for her that she is freed from that now. We lost a beautiful soul, but I'm thankful for the joy and inspiration she gave...

Greg 💔

Monday evening (European time), I came here to read more posts after a long absence, but then spotted this one on top and my heart almost stopped, I just couldn't believe it, couldn't even open it to read, just too sad...

Similar experience for me. I was just casually looking through YouTube on Monday evening and saw a video with the title “John Travolta pays tribute to Olivia Newton-John” and my heart sank. I had an awful feeling late 2020/early 2021 when I read she had put her properties in California and Australia up for sale and even sold off the leather pants from Grease, all to raise money for her charity foundation. That awful feeling that she was getting her affairs in order. We now know that’s when she was told her condition had progressed to stage 4.

I’ve been keeping an eye on what Vinny Vero may do now with the deluxe album reissue series but I’ve a feeling he will continue. Olivia trusted him and he has overall control of the project. It would be nice to think that the royalties from future deluxe reissues might, at least in part, go towards supporting her foundation. I’m sure she has that all “tied up”.

And what did that photo remind me of instantly?

chair.jpg

I’d been expecting this news any day for quite a while, so when I finally heard it on Monday evening (UK time), it wasn’t a shock. As with Karen Carpenter, she’ll live on through her work that she’s left us with.

When the reissue campaign was announced, it mentioned that it would take many years and I knew Olivia herself wouldn’t live to see much of it through. I love how she got all her affairs in order, including future re-releases of her albums.

Making A Good Thing Better from 1977 was the first of her albums that I listened to after she died. I’ve always sensed a relaxed, summery feel to that album. It didn’t do too well but to me it’s one of her best.

So lovely to read and see so many tributes coming in for Olivia, she really touched the lives of so many people. The more I read just confirms what a special person she was not only as a singer but as an individual. She helped and will continue to help so many through her cancer wellness and research centre.

I was moved to tears watching several tributes from her close friend, Jane Seymour. It was hard reading from her niece how much pain Olivia was in toward the end of her life. We find comfort in knowing she is free of this pain but so hard to lose one you love.

I grew up with Olivia as my favorite singer (even more so than Carpenters) and she’s always been there for me. I’ve been lucky to have seen her in concert many times and even got backstage once to meet her in person. Those things will always be there in my mind.

So wonderful to see Johnny Carson’s archive official you tube account, upload her first appearance in such great quality a few days ago. The last song so moving and heartfelt. She was destined to be a star.

I saw this video posted on another forum something I didn’t even know she did. Another reason I love her so much. This was during the height of her career during Grease and her recording for her album Totally Hot in 1978 that she would accept this invitation in a town called Olivia.

Had been anticipating this news with much sadness. Sympathies to all. My first Olivia purchase was the "Have You Never Been Mellow" single after watching her perform it on, I believe, a Smothers Brothers television show. I was hooked from there. Personal favorite album is "The Rumour", and song, "Walk Through Fire" -- that one hit me right in the heart and has never left. Always suspected she had much greater strength and intelligence than she was ever given credit for...the price for being so gorgeous, I suppose. Her less public years proved that so. Will miss you very much, ONJ.

All I know is what’s been published on an online retailer (rough trade) for pre order that it will be “If Not For You” deluxe edition 2 CD’s. Disc 2 will contain 17 bonus tracks with 2 unreleased recordings. It will feature her first work with John Farrar.

There is also an LP being released but that’s all I know. It’s not been officially announced by her team so I’m not sure where this retailer is getting it’s info. The street date says 9-9-2022 but all this may be postponed due to what’s happened.

It’s heartbreaking she won’t be here to announce all her re-releases like she was able to do from home on a video she made to announce the Physical deluxe edition.

I miss her so much already. 💕

All I know is what’s been published on an online retailer (rough trade) for pre order that it will be “If Not For You” deluxe edition 2 CD’s. Disc 2 will contain 17 bonus tracks with 2 unreleased recordings. It will feature her first work with John Farrar.

There is also an LP being released but that’s all I know. It’s not been officially announced by her team so I’m not sure where this retailer is getting it’s info. The street date says 9-9-2022 but all this may be postponed due to what’s happened.

It’s heartbreaking she won’t be here to announce all her re-releases like she was able to do from home on a video she made to announce the Physical deluxe edition.

I miss her so much already. 💕
Thank you, Rick! You’re our go to source for all things Olivia- if you don’t mind.

I loved Olivia Newton-John's music almost as much as Karen and Richard's. One of my favorites is "The Best of Me," a wonderful duet by Olivia and David Foster. As for Olivia solo, it's a tie between "Sam" and "Hopelessly Devoted to You."

Regarding her up-tempo numbers, I'm quite fond of "Magic," "Xanadu" and especially "Make a Move on Me."

Honorable mention goes to "Take A Chance." Loved seeing her and John Travolta do one more song together.

I also loved her cameo in "The Carpenters' First Television Special" where she gives Richard a kiss for winning an auto race. How I wish that had been me!

You've always had an angelic voice, Olivia. Now you've got your wings, too!

Someone who worked on her next deluxe edition said it due to be announced very shortly and will be released next month. Other retailers are already posting the pre orders. I see one of the bonus tracks is a never before released mono single of “The Biggest Clown” only previously available on 45 rpm. So happy to get this rare song on CD soon.

The following ONJ clips / songs were broadcast last night, (Friday 12th August), on national TV in Australia. My guess is that most or all of them were already available on YouTube or DVD - I don’t think there’s anything rare here with the possible exception of the GTK interview. By the way, before Olivia, there were a lot of Judith Durham / The Seekers clips.

12:30am​

• JUDITH DURHAM, RUSSELL HITCHCOCK I Am Australian ft. MANDAWUY YUNUPINGU (EMI)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN and JOHN TRAVOLTA Grease Megamix (Polydor)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Sam (MCA)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN A Little More Love (EMI)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Magic (Live On Countdown, 1980) (Jet Records)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Xanadu (Live On Countdown, 1980) (Jet Records)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN and CLIFF RICHARD Suddenly (Jet Records)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Deeper Than The Night (Independent)

1:00am​

• ANDY GIBB and OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN I Can't Help It (RSO Records)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Physical (Fest/Mush)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Heart Attack (MCA)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Make A Move On Me (MCA)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Landslide (Fest/Mush)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Twist of Fate (EMI)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Tied-Up (MCA)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Livin' In Desperate Times (EMI)
  • JOHN TRAVOLTA and OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Take A Chance (EMI)

1:30am​

• OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Soul Kiss (Interfusion)
  • DAVID FOSTER and OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Best Of Me (Atlantic)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN The Rumour (Festival)
  • OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Reach Out For Me (Festival)
This morning, Saturday 13th, the following was screened, with a number of the above songs repeated. Tonight, (Saturday), the above film clips will be repeated but the GTK 1977 interview won’t be re-screened:-

GTK, 1977 - OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Interview With Olivia Newton-John (ABC)y (The Above date is likely to be incorrect as GTK ceased to be produced in 1975).

Someone who worked on her next deluxe edition said it due to be announced very shortly and will be released next month. Other retailers are already posting the pre orders. I see one of the bonus tracks is a never before released mono single of “The Biggest Clown” only previously available on 45 rpm. So happy to get this rare song on CD soon.
Here is the tracklisting (this is from a post on another forum). There are two versions of The Biggest Clown and three of Would You Follow Me (alternate vocals apparently):

If Not For You
Album originally released 1 November 1971
Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London
Produced by John Farrar, Bruce Welch

Disc 1
1 Me And Bobby McGee
2 If
3 Banks Of The Ohio
4 In A Station
5 Love Song
6 Help Me Make It Through The Night
7 If Not For You
8 Where Are You Going To My Love?
9 Lullaby
10 If You Could Read My Mind
11 If I Gotta Leave
12 No Regrets

Disc 2
1 Till You Say You’ll Be Mine
2 For Ever
3 The Biggest Clown
4 It’s So Hard To Say Goodbye
5 Would You Follow Me
6 Walkin’ On Air
7 Goin’ Back
8 I Could Never Live Without Your Love
9 Roll Like The River
10 Don’t Move Away
11 Would You Follow Me
12 Round And Round
13 The Biggest Clown
14 Game Of Love
15 Would You Follow Me
16 Unten Am Fluß, Der Ohio Heißt [Remastered 2022]
17 Unten Am Fluß, Der Ohio Heißt

It appears this is the cover, faithful to the original and font, this looks so nice.

I have 2 original LP’s of this title and one of them cost me a pretty penny in a used record store.
It’s a mint cover which is hard to find and it has a texture embossing to the LP cover.

pWtL3fy.jpg

The below news story is a bit old.... from the morning of Wednesday 10th of August.

Olivia Newton-John's family indicates it would accept state memorial for Grease star.​

The family of Australian icon Olivia Newton-John is still in talks with the Victorian government about how the state will honour the late singer.

Newton-John, best known for her role as Sandy in the 1978 classic Grease, died on Monday, local time, at her ranch in southern California.

She had been diagnosed with cancer.

When asked during a press conference on Tuesday whether he would consider offering the family a state funeral, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said he wanted to speak with them, citing Newton-John's "amazing" contributions.

"I was honoured to meet Olivia Newton-John on many different occasions, particularly in connection with the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre," Mr Andrews said.

"An absolutely supreme talent, a person of grace, a person of such energy and vitality.

"She took her cancer journey and used that to save lives and change lives."

On Wednesday a spokesperson for the Premier said they were still talking to the family and no formal offer of a service had been made yet.

Newton-John's niece Totti Goldsmith told Nine's A Current Affair program on Tuesday the family would accept an offer of a state funeral.
"I think Australia needs it," Goldsmith said.

"She's so loved."

Goldsmith later clarified to Channel 9 that Newton-John would be laid to rest on her ranch in the US, but that the family was interested in a state memorial service.

"She'll be with her horses and her dogs and her chickens and her daughter and her husband," she said.

Landmarks turn pink for Newton-John.​

Born in the UK, Newton-John moved to the Victorian capital as a child.

The performer was a tireless campaigner for breast cancer research during her lifetime, having been diagnosed with the disease herself.

The Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness and Research Centre continues to operate at the Austin Hospital in Melbourne's east.

Last night, landmarks including Flinders Street Station and the Melbourne Cricket Ground turned pink in honour of Newton-John's legacy.

ABC News Australia.

Back
Top Bottom