Olivia Newton-John Remasters Project

Olivia's remake of the late George Harrison's "What Is Life" from 1972 is the only song that is missing from "Gold" (2 CD set)!!

Olivia's remake of the late George Harrison's "What Is Life" from 1972 is the only song that is missing from "Gold" (2 CD set)!!
Very true, but then again, I guess the Gold set was more aimed at the North American market or Long Live Love should have been included, too :wink: Olivia might have objected to that though haha. On the other hand, I heard somewhere that she pleaded for inclusion of Fool/Country, because the fans wanted that one on CD (by way of online voting maybe??)

Nevertheless, I was very happy to hear her sing "What Is Life" live during her UK tour in 2013 :love:

Nana had a huge hit here in Holland with "Only love" in 1986, you may have heard it (or maybe not)

I've actually been thinking about collecting Olivia's mono 45s. I once thought it would be interesting to have a monomix by the Carpenters and then when I visited Amoeba in Hollywood, I found so many of them (well, about a handful anyway), that I took all I could get my hands on : -D

Are there any surprises in Olivia's monomixes? Maybe certain instruments or vocals that sound different?
Not really that different, just her vocals are much more to the front of the mix creating a closer presence to her vocal. It makes her vocals really pop out more and provides for a more clean and crisp sound overall. I wished she had more in mono like more of her hits but after 76 they pretty much stopped except for the grease tracks. Unlike the Carpenters who issued monos up to the early 80's.

Another cool track that gives Olivia credit as a performer but without her vocals is the song "Music Makes My Day" it appears on the Hank Marvin and John Farrar CD from 1973 on the BGO Records label. It took me a while to find this UK original CD. I really love John Farrar's vocals and this CD showcases a lot of him. A great collection of songs from Hank and John. Olivia is mentioned quite a lot in the inner booklet and is credited as playing the recorder solo on "Music Makes My Day" Interestingly enough Olivia recorded her own version of this song with lead vocals on the Australian CD Let Me Be There and also appears on the Original 48 tracks 2 CD set. It would be a great track to show she was not only a lead singer but also could play and perform as well in the early days of her career.

Not really that different, just her vocals are much more to the front of the mix creating a closer presence to her vocal. It makes her vocals really pop out more and provides for a more clean and crisp sound overall. I wished she had more in mono like more of her hits but after 76 they pretty much stopped except for the grease tracks. Unlike the Carpenters who issued monos up to the early 80's.

Another cool track that gives Olivia credit as a performer but without her vocals is the song "Music Makes My Day" it appears on the Hank Marvin and John Farrar CD from 1973 on the BGO Records label. It took me a while to find this UK original CD. I really love John Farrar's vocals and this CD showcases a lot of him. A great collection of songs from Hank and John. Olivia is mentioned quite a lot in the inner booklet and is credited as playing the recorder solo on "Music Makes My Day" Interestingly enough Olivia recorded her own version of this song with lead vocals on the Australian CD Let Me Be There and also appears on the Original 48 tracks 2 CD set. It would be a great track to show she was not only a lead singer but also could play and perform as well in the early days of her career.
Closer vocal presence sounds like a good reason to start collecting a few 🤓

Yes, great vocals and harmonies on the Marvin & Farrar album, other favorite tracks on that one are "Skin deep", their version of "I'm a small and lonely light" and the wacky a cappella final track. You may already have John Farrar's solo album from 1980 as well? I love "Reckless" on that, as well as "It'll be me babe", "Falling" and "Recovery" (done by Olivia, too in '76 and '81). Did you know John wrote/produced tracks for Irene Cara ("Say goodnight Irene", 1987) and Cher ("I paralyze", 1982) and did the backing vocals on them as well?

That was a big surprise, hearing Olivia play the recorder! Another link to The Shadows of course is their 1967 version of "The day I met Marie", in which Olivia sings one line, second time on record since the debut single for Decca (1966). As far as Olivia's non-vocal musical talents go, I think her playing the piano and guitar should be showcased in the boxset as well, like the beautiful "Can I trust your arms" from 2005 and songs from Sordid Lives and Wilde Girls, or even "Click go the shears" from the Down Under special 🤩

Closer vocal presence sounds like a good reason to start collecting a few 🤓

Yes, great vocals and harmonies on the Marvin & Farrar album, other favorite tracks on that one are "Skin deep", their version of "I'm a small and lonely light" and the wacky a cappella final track. You may already have John Farrar's solo album from 1980 as well? I love "Reckless" on that, as well as "It'll be me babe", "Falling" and "Recovery" (done by Olivia, too in '76 and '81). Did you know John wrote/produced tracks for Irene Cara ("Say goodnight Irene", 1987) and Cher ("I paralyze", 1982) and did the backing vocals on them as well?

That was a big surprise, hearing Olivia play the recorder! Another link to The Shadows of course is their 1967 version of "The day I met Marie", in which Olivia sings one line, second time on record since the debut single for Decca (1966). As far as Olivia's non-vocal musical talents go, I think her playing the piano and guitar should be showcased in the boxset as well, like the beautiful "Can I trust your arms" from 2005 and songs from Sordid Lives and Wilde Girls, or even "Click go the shears" from the Down Under special 🤩
I actually like all the songs from that Marvin/Farrar CD except for Galadriel (Spirit Of Starlight) still has not grown on me lol. Yeah that last track crazy however I do like hearing John go up into his higher voice. I think my favorites are So Hard To Live With, Music Makes My Day, Skin Deep, Love Oh Love and Help Me Onto Your Wagon and Small and Lonely Light. I need to pick up the vinyl but it's rather pricey.

Yes I have John Farrar's solo CD on the See For Miles label, it sounds incredible and it's mastered very well. I also have his solo album on vinyl, it's a white label promo and came with a large promo photo and a press release insert about the release. It says on the press release that he started to write the songs for his solo album in March 1979 but was soon shelved when he was asked to write 5 songs for Xanadu. It says he returned to finish his solo album in the summer of 1980. I wasn't aware that info but cool to read. I really like his solo album and his vocals. I also really like hearing him backing Olivia especially on the Physical album. Their voices blend so well together.

Have you ever heard of a 7" single released from Australia in 71 from John Farrar called "With Rainnie on my Mind" b/w "John and Mary (an instrumental)" it's on a label called Fable which I've never heard. I'd love to hear this, I'm sure not many were pressed.

I actually like all the songs from that Marvin/Farrar CD except for Galadriel (Spirit Of Starlight) still has not grown on me lol. Yeah that last track crazy however I do like hearing John go up into his higher voice. I think my favorites are So Hard To Live With, Music Makes My Day, Skin Deep, Love Oh Love and Help Me Onto Your Wagon and Small and Lonely Light. I need to pick up the vinyl but it's rather pricey.

Yes I have John Farrar's solo CD on the See For Miles label, it sounds incredible and it's mastered very well. I also have his solo album on vinyl, it's a white label promo and came with a large promo photo and a press release insert about the release. It says on the press release that he started to write the songs for his solo album in March 1979 but was soon shelved when he was asked to write 5 songs for Xanadu. It says he returned to finish his solo album in the summer of 1980. I wasn't aware that info but cool to read. I really like his solo album and his vocals. I also really like hearing him backing Olivia especially on the Physical album. Their voices blend so well together.

Have you ever heard of a 7" single released from Australia in 71 from John Farrar called "With Rainnie on my Mind" b/w "John and Mary (an instrumental)" it's on a label called Fable which I've never heard. I'd love to hear this, I'm sure not many were pressed.
Funny, I was listening to the Marvin/Farrar album today and felt the same way about Galadriel : p

Really awesome to have such a promocopy of John Farrar's 1980 LP with a press release included, sounds like a real rarity d:)b I agree on how their voices blend so perfectly (which struck me again as I listened to Tied Up today). "A Thousand Conversations - The Best of Marvin, Welch & Farrar" is a compilation CD I can recommend, full of awesome harmonies. It has many songs from their two albums from 1971 and a few from the duo from 1973 and even includes Bruce Welch's "Please Mr Please" from 1974.

John Farrar was a member of British group The Shadows from 1973-1977. Now you may have heard of the Eurovision Songcontest. Olivia represented the UK in '74 and in the national pre-selection sang 6 songs from which the British TV audience could choose the one she would take to Eurovision (Long Live Love). Cliff Richard did the same thing in '73 and in 1975 it was The Shadows' turn. And this is one of the 6 songs that the people in the UK could choose from (all of which ended up on their album "Specs Appeal") :

Funny, I was listening to the Marvin/Farrar album today and felt the same way about Galadriel : p

Really awesome to have such a promocopy of John Farrar's 1980 LP with a press release included, sounds like a real rarity d:)b I agree on how their voices blend so perfectly (which struck me again as I listened to Tied Up today). "A Thousand Conversations - The Best of Marvin, Welch & Farrar" is a compilation CD I can recommend, full of awesome harmonies. It has many songs from their two albums from 1971 and a few from the duo from 1973 and even includes Bruce Welch's "Please Mr Please" from 1974.

John Farrar was a member of British group The Shadows from 1973-1977. Now you may have heard of the Eurovision Songcontest. Olivia represented the UK in '74 and in the national pre-selection sang 6 songs from which the British TV audience could choose the one she would take to Eurovision (Long Live Love). Cliff Richard did the same thing in '73 and in 1975 it was The Shadows' turn. And this is one of the 6 songs that the people in the UK could choose from (all of which ended up on their album "Specs Appeal") :

I remember seeing that video, "Don't Throw It All Away" but it's been awhile. I like it but of course Olivia's version is so much better. Seems so weird to hear it being sung by a male lead when all I've know is Olivia's. Do you have that CD, "A Thousand Conversations" I'm wondering does John sing or provide any backing vocals on Silvery Rain, A Thousand Conversations or Please Mr. Please? He is not credited on that Discogs link. I wish he had recorded one more album with Olivia as full producer and backing vocals 10-15 yrs ago but I guess it was never to be.

It's nice that he did a couple songs on Back With A Heart but the album overall was just not up to par in my opinion. I feel the main problem with the album is there were too many hands in the pot meaning too many producers, producing different songs. It makes for a in-cohesive album. I feel she never got that magic back that she had with John who knew how to record her and what songs brought out the best in her career. Sounds a little bit like how Richard knew what would work for Karen's vocals, huh?

I've always wondered if the track Reckless from Olivia's duet CD A Celebration of Song was a re-record of John's vocals or were his vocals used from his solo CD on that remake. Olivia's obviously are new there but to me his sound like the same vocals from his solo CD but I don't know for sure.

I'm really interested about the duets album. Just heard a podcast and the guy mentioned tv specials. Heartache Tonight might be possible. Huge Olivia fan here. She even did Close to you in 71/72 on cliff's show and tour.

I remember seeing that video, "Don't Throw It All Away" but it's been awhile. I like it but of course Olivia's version is so much better. Seems so weird to hear it being sung by a male lead when all I've know is Olivia's. Do you have that CD, "A Thousand Conversations" I'm wondering does John sing or provide any backing vocals on Silvery Rain, A Thousand Conversations or Please Mr. Please? He is not credited on that Discogs link. I wish he had recorded one more album with Olivia as full producer and backing vocals 10-15 yrs ago but I guess it was never to be.

It's nice that he did a couple songs on Back With A Heart but the album overall was just not up to par in my opinion. I feel the main problem with the album is there were too many hands in the pot meaning too many producers, producing different songs. It makes for a in-cohesive album. I feel she never got that magic back that she had with John who knew how to record her and what songs brought out the best in her career. Sounds a little bit like how Richard knew what would work for Karen's vocals, huh?

I've always wondered if the track Reckless from Olivia's duet CD A Celebration of Song was a re-record of John's vocals or were his vocals used from his solo CD on that remake. Olivia's obviously are new there but to me his sound like the same vocals from his solo CD but I don't know for sure.
I do have that MWF CD and all songs on the Discogs link are by the threesome (either lead or backing vocals) except the ones that say "Hank Marvin & John Farrar", those are from the duo album from '73 (the one with Galadriel). "Please Mr Please" is a Bruce Welch solo recording with a different backing vocal group. I had always liked Olivia's version, it sounded so sweet and easy and I never really paid attention to the words, but when I heard Bruce's version, I could actually feel the heartache... You could of course have a listen to some of the songs first on YouTube or maybe on Amazon too, I'm not sure. And yes, there are songs on it with John Farrar's lead vocals. Here's one of them:

I wish that BBC TV special "Getaway with Cliff" from 1971 was still up on YouTube. It had Marvin Welch & Farrar on it, and of course Olivia, plus this fun segment, which shows them at elderly people (little did they know that they'd sing "Suddenly" once more 44 years later, aged 75 and 67 🧓👵 :D )

Back With A Heart was an album I had to get used to just a little, voicewise. A bit lower voice, richer, but when I heard Olivia's live performance on the Today Show in NYC, I was a bit shocked at the raspiness in her voice when she sang the title track there. Luckily her voice came back strongly in the following years. That album has the only track where for one second I thought I heard Karen's voice. It's on "Closer to me", during the line "...if your heart won't let her...". It's also one of my favorites on the album, besides songs like "Don't say that", "Precious love", "Under my skin" and "I don't wanna say goodnight". The ending of the latter where Olivia sort of plays around with the electric guitarlines (or was it a steelguitar?) reminded me a bit of the very ending of "Coolin'down" :love:
I agree on John knowing best what musical "frame" (if you like), would make Olivia's voice really shine, the way Richard knew about Karen's voice.

I'm not sure about the Reckless track. Maybe Olivia wanted to have new vocals by John as well, but who knows, perhaps he said "Livvy, my voice isn't what it used to be 30 years ago, maybe it's better to use my vocals from the 1980 tape". Anyway, just guessing...

I wish I had heard that Australian 7-inch from '71, but like you, I had only heard OF it. Hopefully it'll see the light on YouTube someday :cool:

I'm really interested about the duets album. Just heard a podcast and the guy mentioned tv specials. Heartache Tonight might be possible. Huge Olivia fan here. She even did Close to you in 71/72 on cliff's show and tour.
That sounds great! I don't think I've ever heard Olivia's version of Close To You from the early 70s... I should still get that duets album, the only one I have is the Australian one from 2002. I remember really looking forward to that one, her first studio album since Back With A Heart :)

Good "Olivia" discussion here!

I don't have anything to add or dispute, but enjoying it. :)

LOVE that special! And to think that most of it was recorded within walking distance of Karen's condo in Century City. But Karen of course must have stepped into her Jag for the few minutes drive to get there 🏎️ :cool:

Okay, having just watched a bit of an Instagram Live session with Chloe & Olivia, I now understand that you meant the upcoming duets album : o I guess I was just too excited when I was reading Stephen's initial post to register in my mind that a duets album will be Vinny's & Olivia's project to work on. Very excited and curious about which ones they will pick. I really do hope there will be a Pat & Olivia duet on it :love: And the one with Barry Gibb from 1984 (Face To Face). I think I'm going to make a list of 10 to 20 duets I hope will be on the new album... 🤓

So happy I got the Japan Cd Love Songs from 2004. It contains the rare track, Face to Face. I really like that song. When it was originally released, I called into the radio station to ask them to play it and I recorded myself on a cassette tape in hopes I’d get through and I did lol I sound like a dork. I still have the tape lol. I felt famous though they played it for me. I was in heaven. I love that song.

So happy I got the Japan Cd Love Songs from 2004. It contains the rare track, Face to Face. I really like that song. When it was originally released, I called into the radio station to ask them to play it and I recorded myself on a cassette tape in hopes I’d get through and I did lol I sound like a dork. I still have the tape lol. I felt famous though they played it for me. I was in heaven. I love that song.
That is such a cool little success story, Rick! Would love to hear that tape 😉 Did you sing both voices?

I *like* Face To Face but I always thought that Olivia's duets with Andy Gibb sounded much more organic, less contrived.
That said, I'd still want it in commercial digital format!

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned it, but Olivia’s version of You Made Me Love You from Xanadu hasn’t been released on CD or digitally has it? The Xanadu soundtrack deserves a reissue, adding that song and Fool Country and also ELO’s Drum Dreams.

Fable Records was well known in Australia when they had a number of hit records, mainly in the early 70s, but also a few beyond that. It was an indie record label.

In 1970, Australia’s population was only about 12 million, so even a big hit wouldn’t have sold that many copies. However, John Farrar’s ‘With Rainnie On my Mind’ only reached Number 90 nationally, so I think you’re right in supposing that not many copies were pressed, Rick. Funnily enough, I’ve got a feeling that I knew the song, but can’t place it.

If you used to listen to the radio in Australia in the early 70s, you would recognise some of their big hits - ‘Knock, knock, who’s There?’by Liv Maessen, a woman with an incredibly deep voice whose songs I’ve posted on this site, ‘In the Summertime’ and ‘The Pushbike Song’ by The Mixtures and ‘Yellow River’, by Autumn, etc.

If you’re overseas and recognise the titles of these songs but not the artists, that’s because Australian radio placed a ban on playing product from major record companies at this time, as those companies were demanding a big jump in royalties for airplay. Therefore, the originals by Mary Hopkin and Mungo Jerry, etc., weren’t initially played.

John Farrar’s group, The Strangers, had a national Top 10 hit on Fable with ‘My Melanie Makes Me Smile’, the best-known version of the song in Australia.

However, there were also many original hits by singer / songwriters on Fable, such as Hans Poulsen, (‘Boom Sha La La Lo’ and ‘Light Across the Valley’) and John Williamson, (‘Old Man Emu’).

A great songwriter and recording artist who sprung from this label and continued on its subsidiary, Bootleg, was Brian Cadd, who was a staple on radio and in the public’s record collections throughout the early to mid 70s. He had Top 20 hits with great songs like ‘Show Me the Way’, ‘Ginger Man’, ‘Let Go’ and ‘Your Mama Don’t Dance’, (a remake of the Loggins and Messina song, which wasn’t a big hit here).

A few members of The Little River Band, as Mississippi, also had Top 20 hits on Bootleg with ‘Kings of the World’, (Number 7), and ‘Will I?’.

If you were a music-loving teen or pre-teen in the early to mid 70s, these songs, and other Fable or Bootleg hits, are etched deep in your psyche.

Incidentally, Brian Cadd later formed Blazing Salads with Glenn Shorrock, after Shorrock left The Little River Band.

Brian Cadd also wrote and produced the magnificent Top 5 hit on Fable, ‘Marshall’s Portable Music Machine’, by Robin Jolley. He later wrote for The Pointer Sisters, Little River Band and John Farnham.

One of Fable’s biggest hits was ‘Up There, Cazaly’, by Two-Man Band, which sold over 250,000 singles in Australia in the late 70s.

John Farrar’s The Strangers have a few songs included on the CD series, ‘Australian Pop of the 60s’ and ‘Australian Pop of the 70s’ and there are many other Fable artists on this series. I’m quite sure The Strangers have their own compilation CDs, as well.

I was wondering whether John Farrar’s ‘With Rainnie On my Mind’ was on this series, but I can’t find it. I think I have seen it on CD, somewhere.

I’ve enjoyed re-visiting just how important Fable was to Australian popular music in the 70s and just how much its releases meant to me, growing up.

Fable Records was well known in Australia when they had a number of hit records, mainly in the early 70s, but also a few beyond that. It was an indie record label.

In 1970, Australia’s population was only about 12 million, so even a big hit wouldn’t have sold that many copies. However, John Farrar’s ‘With Rainnie On my Mind’ only reached Number 90 nationally, so I think you’re right in supposing that not many copies were pressed, Rick. Funnily enough, I’ve got a feeling that I knew the song, but can’t place it.

If you used to listen to the radio in Australia in the early 70s, you would recognise some of their big hits - ‘Knock, knock, who’s There?’by Liv Maessen, a woman with an incredibly deep voice whose songs I’ve posted on this site, ‘In the Summertime’ and ‘The Pushbike Song’ by The Mixtures and ‘Yellow River’, by Autumn, etc.

If you’re overseas and recognise the titles of these songs but not the artists, that’s because Australian radio placed a ban on playing product from major record companies at this time, as those companies were demanding a big jump in royalties for airplay. Therefore, the originals by Mary Hopkin and Mungo Jerry, etc., weren’t initially played.

John Farrar’s group, The Strangers, had a national Top 10 hit on Fable with ‘My Melanie Makes Me Smile’, the best-known version of the song in Australia.

However, there were also many original hits by singer / songwriters on Fable, such as Hans Poulsen, (‘Boom Sha La La Lo’ and ‘Light Across the Valley’) and John Williamson, (‘Old Man Emu’).

A great songwriter and recording artist who sprung from this label and continued on its subsidiary, Bootleg, was Brian Cadd, who was a staple on radio and in the public’s record collections throughout the early to mid 70s. He had Top 20 hits with great songs like ‘Show Me the Way’, ‘Ginger Man’, ‘Let Go’ and ‘Your Mama Don’t Dance’, (a remake of the Loggins and Messina song, which wasn’t a big hit here).

A few members of The Little River Band, as Mississippi, also had Top 20 hits on Bootleg with ‘Kings of the World’, (Number 7), and ‘Will I?’.

If you were a music-loving teen or pre-teen in the early to mid 70s, these songs, and other Fable or Bootleg hits, are etched deep in your psyche.

Incidentally, Brian Cadd later formed Blazing Salads with Glenn Shorrock, after Shorrock left The Little River Band.

Brian Cadd also wrote and produced the magnificent Top 5 hit on Fable, ‘Marshall’s Portable Music Machine’, by Robin Jolley. He later wrote for The Pointer Sisters, Little River Band and John Farnham.

One of Fable’s biggest hits was ‘Up There, Cazaly’, by Two-Man Band, which sold over 250,000 singles in Australia in the late 70s.

John Farrar’s The Strangers have a few songs included on the CD series, ‘Australian Pop of the 60s’ and ‘Australian Pop of the 70s’ and there are many other Fable artists on this series. I’m quite sure The Strangers have their own compilation CDs, as well.

I was wondering whether John Farrar’s ‘With Rainnie On my Mind’ was on this series, but I can’t find it. I think I have seen it on CD, somewhere.

I’ve enjoyed re-visiting just how important Fable was to Australian popular music in the 70s and just how much its releases meant to me, growing up.
Thanks for the details...I enjoyed reading that since I had no idea about this label.

Regarding John Farrar's 45 single "With Rainnie On My Mind" b/w "John and Mary" Discogs says that John and Mary was an instrumental. It appears we may have an idea what that instrumental sounded like from a track called "Years Away" taken from The Shadows album called Rockin' With Curly Leads. The person who posted this shows on the video that Years Away started as John and Mary the flip side to his single. Check out this track and info at about 31 seconds in.

I really like this guitar instrumental. It really shows how gifted John Farrar was on guitar this was in 1973.
It reminds me of his incredible guitar full instrumentals of the songs "Had To Be" that appears on the CD single Cliff Richard Olivia Newton-John Part 2 and his instrumental of "Misunderstood Man" that appears on Cliff's CD single of the same name.

Last edited:
It would be nice if Vinny Vero ever decides to release a box set of Olivia's early career to include a track showing how she got started with Cliff. Pat & Olivia with Cliff singing Walk on By/Look of Love. Jump to 58:30 for the live version.

Cliff has this released on cd as live in Japan 72 but the shadows set is sadly missing. The cd starts off with Back Scratcher by the shadows tho. A fan did mention that olivia had her own little set during these shows which included I'm A Small and Lonely Light live!! Shame that didn't make the lp or cd.

I’d like to see these make it to a box set if she recorded studio versions. Advance Australia Fair and Waltzing Matilda. She performed the latter on the 84 Olympics in Australia which had to be studio version. She also performed it live too.

I was happy to get the 2 cd Australian set of Olivia The Singles which contains the rare track “Its Always Australia For Me” I found it in the import section of Circuit City, remember that store?

Back
Top Bottom