Olivia Newton-john

Status
Not open for further replies.

350hunny

Livvy is touring in Japan now. Tomorrow she's in Tokyo.
Here's the song list.

I Honestly Love You (Intro)
Have You Never Been Mellow
Xanadu
Magic
Love You Crazy
Sam
Medley:
If Not For You
Banks Of The Ohio
Let Me Be There
Please Mr. Please
Jolene
Physical
I'll Come Running
Not Gonna Give Into It
Don't Cut Me Down
Somewhere Over The Rainbow (Duet with Chloe)
Reason To Cry (Duet with Chloe)
It Takes Two (Duet with Chloe)
Medley:
Take Me Home Country Roads
Close To You :) :) :)
Don't Stop Believin'
Suddenly
You're The One That I Wnat
Hopelessly Devoted To You
Summer Nights
(Encore)
Come On Over
I Honestly Love You

Just can't wait to hear how she sings CTY and talks about Karen.

Since Oliva & Karen were good friends, Olivia started doing a segment in her shows a few years ago about friends she had lost. She speaks about John Denver, her duet partner on "Fly Away", and Karen. She used to speak about missing them, and she did a short version of "Close to you" with only piano.

It was a nice tribute to both John & Karen.

Jeff

Interesting , Glad O N-J Still Remembers Carpenters With Classic Songs :)

Shame Richard has not Written / Arranged / Produced Some Tracks with Olivia , Perhaps their Relationship is Still So-So...After Karen's Loss and
Coleman's Comments on Karen's Solo Sessions :sad:

Olivia Guest Performing on Carpenters Specials or Karen / Olivia Duet in 1970's would have been Interesting To Listen To :o

Peter

Thanks to Jeff and PJ for your input.
To tell you the truth, this was the first time I saw Olivia at her concert.
She was and is GORGEOUS! I've fallen in love with her.Of course before Karen there's no one else for me. And to think it could have been Karen, it makes my heart ache.
She started singing Take Me Home Country Roads and then Close To You,
mentioning both these two acts are famous in Japan and they were good friends of hers , for whom she would like to sing them.

She didn't mention either John nor Karen but maybe it was unnecessary.
And she changed the words WALK BY to PASS BY.
Her phrasing seemed to be made to sound like Karen's, which was pleasant to me.

Other serendipity was two pictures of Karen and Livvy in the concert program, one being the same as that Chris bears with his name on this board and the other even
with Richard and Robin Gibb, perhaps a shot from her Hollywood Nights show.

I have an ooooold laserdisc of Olivia's Physical album, where she's pumping iron and dressed in the typical 80's-era exercise gear. OH MY GOODNESS!!! :D Also have a live concert around the same era, where she sings all the hits. Very easy on the eyes. :)

Olivia's concert in Japan was videotaped and will be shown on Japanese TV on June 7th(Tonight! It is 7th today at JST). NHK-TV says that the medley from Grease and CLOSE TO YOU will be on air(BS Dijital). How I wish I could watch the concert again! I'm sorry that I have no BS Dijital nor BS.

Sakura

Hi Sakura,

Oh how I wish I could also see this. This is a very rare thing too. ONJ has never released any kind of live material here in the US for very very long time at least video. So this is very special for Japan. You should ask some of your friends there, maybe someone has this dijital thing & can tape for you.

Good luck. Let me know if you hear of anyone that saw it, id be curious, was your show actually taped? Maybe it's your concert. Ha Ha

I went to Livvy's concert in Tokyo and there was no photos of Karen shown during the Close To You segment.
But they showed the photo of Karen in a white sweat shirt holding her knees shown in the concerts at Osaka and Fukuoka.
So I missed the half of the excitement of the moment!
I don't know why but maybe something went wrong with the pix.
I'm afraid NHK will air the concert in Tokyo.

350 hunny,

They showed a pic of Karen on the big screen? During the song? I didn't know this. Will this be on the concert tape today on tv? Let me know, thanks.

Hi Chris,

Maybe it's me
Maybe it's just......

Yes, my concert!
Olivia started the concert at 7:12pm and she finished singing at 9:10. TV program is for 90 minutes.

If you go to Only Olivia's message board, you will find a Olivia fan who says that he can have copy made for you.

Sakura

Hi, Chris. In fact I don't have such equipment as to see the show.
But a friend of mine let me know that she heard me shouting "Beautiful" at Olivia. So this TV show doesn't provide you with a chance to see the photos of the deceased artists that Olivia dedicated their songs to.

That's what I've been talking about.
Yes, some say they showed Karen sqatting on a sofa on the big screen during the song.
You can locate this photo if you have Essential Collection and see the booklet to it. Ciao!

On Olivia's TV program of NHK, they say that they show the opening photos on a big screen. In concert we saw many Olivia's photos with her friends. I would like to know how many Karen's photos were on TV. They say that Olivia was beautiful. But someone, who watched the program on Cable TV, says that sound is not so good.

Merv Griffin Show September the 1st, 1981

Merv(to Karen): You and Olivia have been friends for a long time.
Olivia: Long Time! were so old.
Karen: What't it been now 9 years?
Olivia: It's a long time.
Richard: 10 years, we met in Annabelles in London.
Olivia: In London, we met in London before I even came over here.

And Karen talked about Olivia, Karen said that LIVVY wants......
Did Karen always call Olivia Livvy?

I asked in another topic. I do again.
What song did Karen and Richard play on Merv Griffin Show?
Did Olivia sing?

Sakura

I saw Olivia in concert in Oakland, Ca. in 1973, she was great, so energetic. I still like her today and wish she would record some new songs. I doubt this will interest you guys, but Olivia had great influence on young women in those days, they copied her hair styles ( and there were many) her clothes and her makeup. When she did the "Physical" video you suddenly saw girls wearing sweatbands and leg warmers all around the country, and I suppose the world. And best of all she is a breast cancer survivor!

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Oh how I wish I could also see this. This is a very rare thing too. ONJ has never released any kind of live material here in the US for very very long time at least video.

The last thing I remember seeing is a live concert that was recorded just after her Physical album...it was one of the first laserdiscs I bought. Haven't followed her very much, other than her greatest hits packages.

Rudy said:
The last thing I remember seeing is a live concert that was recorded just after her Physical album...it was one of the first laserdiscs I bought. Haven't followed her very much, other than her greatest hits packages.

The very first item of 'Home Video' that I ever saw was an early LaserDisc copy of Xanadu playing in a local Macy's. It was quite a thrill to hear a stereo soundtrack emanating from a TV/audio setup.

Harry
NP: Everything Must Go, Steely Dan

I actually bought a LaserDisc player just so I could play the OLIVIA LaserDisc that came out in 1980. It was her 1978 TV special with Andy Gibb and ABBA, and it was only issued on LaserDisc, not on videotape.

I've always been glad I bought that LaserDisc player; it allowed me to have superb picture and stereo sound for LDs such as PHYSICAL, OLIVIA IN CONCERT, TWIST OF FATE, OLIVIA DOWN UNDER, etc. Of course, I was also glad to get YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, INTERPRETATIONS and LIVE AT BUDOKAN on LD -- all of which are now available on DVD, unlike any of the Olivia material (except for a bootleg edition of OLIVIA IN CONCERT from Korea).

David

For all of you Olivia fans, check out Jim Brickman's DVD. She guests on two songs, and she looks and sings incredible. The audio quality is excellent!

Craig

I actually saw this show on TV a while ago! It was just a wonderful show that I wished I had taped at the time. Thanks, Craig, for the info on the DVD. I didn't know one was available.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom