Olivia Newton-John's Memoir Book Mentions Karen

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

In case anyone doesn't know, Olivia just released a memoir book titled Don't Stop Believin' in Australia. There are lots of photos through out the book yet only one with Karen. In Chapter 5 she talks about her friend Karen Carpenter in great detail. I won't mention it all but it left me teary eyed because you could sense how much Olivia really misses Karen even today. So many nice things she says about Karen.

Olivia mentions she was to meet Karen the day after she passed away. I think we all knew that from previous information over the years. Something new from her book that I didn't know was that she mentions the last time she saw Karen was at the Drake Hotel in New York and says they were both staying there. I did a quick search of the Drake Hotel in NY and it says it's near Rego Park in NY. It doesn't mention the date. Olivia mentions that Karen had gained weight and looked so much better and was bouncing back.

We know from Randy's book, Little Girl Blue that Karen visited Olivia on her Physical tour. Olivia's tour was mostly in 1982. I'm assuming that since Olivia mentions Karen had gained weight this was after she gained artificial weight from being in the hospital Sept 1982 in NY. I could be wrong about this date but it seems possible. I know Olivia was touring very heavily with her Physical tour with 3 stops in NY in August & September of 1982. But by Oct 1982 Olivia was touring in CA and I think Karen was heading back to CA in Nov 1982.

There is a nice photo she includes of her and Karen further back in the book but it's been seen many times before and I think it was from 1979 with the Bee Gees backstage. The photo's been edited and kinda poor quality like it was taken from the internet (we know the actual photo has Richard and Robin Gibb too) The caption from the photo is very sweet of what Olivia wrote.

Here are some pics from my book that arrived today and the small photo inside of Karen.
I was hoping for a new photo of Karen but the mention is sweet in any case.

VJkq2i6.jpg

shhA3ka.jpg

9L0cTZ5.jpg

Olivia is such an inspiring woman. I didn't know until after Karen's passing that Olivia and Karen had been such great friends. I find it comforting and pleasing to learn.

I love Olivia's music as well. I had the pleasure of seeing her in concert a few years ago, and she was just as engaging, beautiful, and talented --- still with a beautiful voice. That she titled her book, "Don't Stop Believin'" is, of course, appropriate, but this particular song is one of my favorites of Olivia's. A good friend recommended Olivia's 2006 CD, Grace and Gratitude, a healing-themed project, filled with beautiful ballads interspersed with New Age instrumentals --- I listen to it frequently. A later release (2016) is just as compelling: Liv On, again a healing-themed venture that includes incredible harmony in collaboration with Amy Sky and Beth Nielsen Chapman. And then, of course, there is Olivia's entire output of great songs...

In case anyone doesn't know, Olivia just released a memoir book titled Don't Stop Believin' in Australia. There are lots of photos through out the book yet only one with Karen. In Chapter 5 she talks about her friend Karen Carpenter in great detail. I won't mention it all but it left me teary eyed because you could sense how much Olivia really misses Karen even today. So many nice things she says about Karen.

Olivia mentions she was to meet Karen the day after she passed away. I think we all knew that from previous information over the years. Something new from her book that I didn't know was that she mentions the last time she saw Karen was at the Drake Hotel in New York and says they were both staying there. I did a quick search of the Drake Hotel in NY and it says it's near Rego Park in NY. It doesn't mention the date. Olivia mentions that Karen had gained weight and looked so much better and was bouncing back.

We know from Randy's book, Little Girl Blue that Karen visited Olivia on her Physical tour. Olivia's tour was mostly in 1982. I'm assuming that since Olivia mentions Karen had gained weight this was after she gained artificial weight from being in the hospital Sept 1982 in NY. I could be wrong about this date but it seems possible. I know Olivia was touring very heavily with her Physical tour with 3 stops in NY in August & September of 1982. But by Oct 1982 Olivia was touring in CA and I think Karen was heading back to CA in Nov 1982.

There is a nice photo she includes of her and Karen further back in the book but it's been seen many times before and I think it was from 1979 with the Bee Gees backstage. The photo's been edited and kinda poor quality like it was taken from the internet (we know the actual photo has Richard and Robin Gibb too) The caption from the photo is very sweet of what Olivia wrote.

Here are some pics from my book that arrived today and the small photo inside of Karen.
I was hoping for a new photo of Karen but the mention is sweet in any case.

VJkq2i6.jpg

shhA3ka.jpg

9L0cTZ5.jpg
I like the way ONJ always seems to give a little "tribute" to Karen. Karen seemed to leave a tremendous impression on Olivia, and it's obvious that Karen felt the same way towards Olivia. It is so cool that they were friends. Great photo Rick, TY.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom