One&Done @ A&M: Brewer & Shipley / Down In L.A. — SP 4154

JOv2

• Comments, questions, conjectures and stories are welcomed.
  • Released in 1968
B-S-1.jpg

B-S-2jpg.jpg

Another album from that era that missed the opportunity to appear on a sampler. I only bought Ochs, Merry-Go-Round and the first CTi's because they appeared on Family Portrait. I may have been more open to these acts had they gotten the "A&M SP 19xxx treatment."Another one I have been actively seeking for a while now...

--Mr Bill

Brewer & Shipley went to Kama Sutra Records in 1970 (division of Buddah Records) & the album "Tarkio" (which has the controverisal song "One Toke Over The Line" which was a Top 10 song peaking at # 10 (with the late Jerry Garcia on steel guitar) in March of 1971. The song "Seems Like A Long Time" was also covered by Rod Stewart on 1971 "Every Picture Tells A Story".

I picked this up about a year ago. I like it very much and it has grown on me all the more...

The album has the feel of that unique transition between mid-'60s folk rock and early'70s singer-songwriter. All songs are originals and all are pretty good -- with a couple quite good at that. The constant 2-part harmonizing is memorable as they definitely have "a sound" that is not derivative of any contemporary bands (which is important as a vocal duo...just ask Peter & Gordon, Simon & Garfunkel or Chad & Jeremy). As I recall from the Now Sounds liner, it appears they weren't too keen on the whole Southern California music scene so they left...Brewer states when the LP was released (OCT68) they had already left LA.

DSC01925.png

Back
Top Bottom