One&Done @ A&M: Gayle Caldwell / Celebration Of Life SP 4196

JOv2

• Comments, questions, conjectures and stories are welcomed.
  • Released in 1969
CALD-A.jpg

CALD-B.jpg

Unfortunately, at this time, I can only locate one selection from the album on YouTube.

According to Discogs, neither a CD reissue of the LP or any comprehensive / retrospective compilation has been issued to date. She did write Cycles and Wandering -- both of which were successfully covered by Frank on his Cycles LP in 1968. I believe Cycles was also a 45, so -- if her contract was written in fair order -- the residuals should have been notable.

"Celebration Of Life" is NOT available to download on Apple iTunes. The 2008 album "All Is One" (including the remake of "Cycles") is available.

This is another that I only know of from the color catalog but I do remember hearing Frank Sinatra's version of Cycles many times on the radio.

A good biography and tribute:

JB

A good biography and tribute:

JB
Curiously, the bio doesn't yield anything about the 1970s -- particularly her musical career following the LP release. She's definitely kindred spirit with numerous artists who escaped the fast and fury pop world for the Pacific Northwest. I used lived in Arcata in the '80s and '90s and on occasion I fielded a couple phone calls from Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefhart) who used to buy records from the shop where I worked (we'd mail them to his house, which was up the road in Trinidad). Art Tripp, retired from music at the time, was also living in nearby McKinleyville making a living as a chiropractor. I had driven through Mendocino / Ft. Bragg many times and it makes me wonder just who else from the '60s ended up in the area...

Looking at the cover photo was Gayle pregnant??
--Probably the life she's celebrating!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom