One&Done @ A&M: Jimmy Cliff / Wonderful World, Beautiful People -- SP 4251

JOv2

• Comments, questions, conjectures and stories are welcomed.
  • Released in 1970
  • Cliff's "tenure" at A&M (via Island) seems complicated -- from a released LP standpoint; however, I believe he qualifies for One&Done status given the timeliness of his releases.
cliff-a.jpg

cliff-b.jpg

I've only ever heard the title track. It's on two multi-artist compilations I have: one is A&M FORGET ME NOTS, the other is that rare Japanese A&M HISTORY 100.

His other material from this time frame either came out on Island label overseas or was spread around on various artist compilations. Proposed domestic albums for A&M were SP 4286 WILD WORLD -- the title tune being a Cat Stevens cover --, SP 4318 ANOTHER CYCLE and self-titled SP 4334. Cliff appears on REGGAE SPECTACULAR, a double LP with other artists. Apparently the single disc REGGAE CHARTBUSTERS (SP 4256) was cancelled in favor of the expanded set.

JB

Last edited:
The title song got a tremendous amount of airplay back in its day. This is one of the few One and Done albums that I actually did see in a store but did not buy it.

Here too. His big breakthrough was 2 years later with the soundtrack to his kind of fun, but strange movie The Harder They Come. I just watched it again last summer on TCM. I saw it in 1976 while in college in Chico, Ca. We had a small art theater that catered to the college students, only $1.00 to get in on Thursdays. Most of the soundtrack is his music.

I've long believed (and LP Jim may agree) that the other Jimmy Cliff LPs found on A&M lists and never released, were likely scheduled, but by the time they were to have come out, Island finally had their own US presence. I don't have my reference material in front of me, but I seem to recall a couple other Island artists had A&M releases scheduled but ultimately ended up on Island US proper.

Quite true, and the best example is 'BOB AND MARCIA' slated to be SP 4331. A single "Pied Piper" (reggae cover of a '60s oldie) was a popular single in the U.K. Some of their material appeared on the A&M REGGAE SPECTACULAR double album. Many years later a 'Best of' CD compilation came out. There's an LP on Trojan label titled 'PIED PIPER' and another, 'YOUNG, GIFTED & BLACK,' with a title song later covered by Aretha Franklin.

JB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom