One&Done @ A&M: Nick De Caro / Happy Heart -- SP 4176

JOv2

In this area, the latter three got far more airplay than the former three .Lee Michaels-1 song ever played, Procol Harum-2 songs ever played, Melvin Van Peebles-0 songs played.
Claudine-several songs played, Brasil'66-over 2 dozen songs played, Sandpipers-several songs played.
I'm not sure what all that means in a quantitative sense, but there's no denying that by the early '70s Claudine and the Sandpipers quickly fell into the margins of pop while Procol Harum (and to lesser extent Lee Michaels) emerged into significant artist on several fronts; so while Herb may have won a short-term battle or two, Jerry obviously won the war.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Going from memory, I think Procol Harum was a licensing deal--"A Whiter Shade of Pale" was an early single by the group released on the Deram label around the world in 1967, but it did not get an A&M release until 1972.

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
I'm not sure what all that means in a quantitative sense, but there's no denying that by the early '70s Claudine and the Sandpipers quickly fell into the margins of pop while Procol Harum (and to lesser extent Lee Michaels) emerged into significant artist on several fronts; so while Herb may have won a short-term battle or two, Jerry obviously won the war.
Jerry and Herb picked the worst year to make their bet. The label had one big single in 1969—“Black Pearl” by Sonny Charles & Checkmates, LTD.—-and that only made it to #13, and one big album—-JOE COCKER!—-which could only get to #11, but at least went Gold.

Top Bottom