One&Done @ A&M: Sea Train / (self-titled) -- SP4171

JOv2

• Comments, questions, conjectures and stories are welcomed.
  • Released in 1968
sea-1.jpg

sea-2.jpg

Notwithstanding that the group issued back-to-back self-titled LPs (getting a jump on Peter Gabriel) and that the CD release sported a different cover, I do believe the following is the correct music from the subject LP.

According to Wiki, for what that's worth, their first album was called SEA TRAIN, and the second SEATRAIN.

The 2nd self - titled album is on Capitol Records which has the song "13 Questions" in early 1971. Their 3rd for Capitol was "Marblehead Messenger" in late 1971.

There was a non-LP single, A&M 1106, "Caroline, Caroline" with "Suite for Almond."

JB

I listened to the LP for the first time and like it. The first selection comes on a bit strong but then the LP settles into some good melodies and thoughtful ensemble arrangements. The ensemble interplay is not unlike a toned down, accoustic Mothers. The 3/4 instrumental number featuring flute calls to mind Tull which, in 1968, was just beginning to pick up steam. I didn't spend too much time with lyric content (oh yeah, the wordzzz...), but a few snippets seemed a idiosyncratic, which was part of the '68 progressive break, I suppose. The Edsel CD does not include the non-LP single. A used CD it's quite pricy, which suggests there's a cult following to some degree.

They are definitely a very good band and I'm sure Herb must have appreciated the solid musicianship. Don't know what the circumstances were with their time at A&M; but that Capitol would release their second LP with the same title was peculiar to say the least. This must have drove the record shops mad (along with the one-stops) when it came to ordering "the Sea Train LP" that a couple customers asked about...

A&M single # 994 has two album titles, "Let the Dutchess No" and "As I Lay Losing." The first song is the LP version but the second is instrumental while the album version has vocals.

JB

Back
Top Bottom