One&Done @ A&M: Shango / (s/t) SP 4195

JOv2

• Comments, questions, conjectures and stories are welcomed.
  • Released in 1969
Shango-a.jpg

Shango-b.jpg

This is a recent purchase brought on by our discussion of "Hey Jude". It's a fun listen with all the steel-drum songs. Back in the day - never heard of it.

"Day After Day" was a BIG hit here in California (no surprise, given the subject matter). It was #7 at KHJ in Los Angeles. I was surprised a few years later to learn that it stiffed at #57 in Billboard.

Santana named an album called "Shango" in the Summer of 1982. The remake of Jr. Walker & The All-Stars 1969 song "What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)" & the remake of Canadian singer Ian Thomas 1981 song "Hold On" (their last Top 40 song until "Smooth" in September 1999) are the highlights.

I've had it since it was released. It is a fun listen. I think DAY AFTER DAY was used in Chevy Truck ads. As I recall, It got a Japanese CD release.

Santana named an album called "Shango" in the Summer of 1982. The remake of Jr. Walker & The All-Stars 1969 song "What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)" & the remake of Canadian singer Ian Thomas 1981 song "Hold On" (their last Top 40 song until "Smooth" in September 1999) are the highlights.
Carlos is deeply spiritua, so I think it’s safe to assume this was Santana’s Shango:

Three labels in three years. They recorded a single as Renaissance for GNP Crescendo records in 1968, went to A&M as Shango in 1969, for this LP, got dumped after every single stiffed, then went to ABC Dunhill in 1970 for a final album, produced by Steve Barri, which also stiffed.

They then broke up, but keyboardist/percussionist Tommy Reynolds stayed with Barri and ABC Dunhill and formed Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds. He left after a year and one big hit (“Don’t Pull Your Love”), but the band continued using the name for four more years.

The late Dan Hamilton did a solo song on Dunhill ABC in 1973 but it did not chart. The song was called "Don't Wait Up For Me Tonight". Saw Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds on "Solid Gold" TV show either in 1983 or 1984 which they did "Don't Pull Your Love" (lip syncing) BUT that was their last performance on TV.

Day After Day got a lot of airplay on one station here in eastern Virginia. I saw the album listed in the color catalog and looked for it at the stores but never found it.

I personally LOVE this album and have the A&M vinyl, as well as the Japanese CD I picked up when I was stationed there.

One of my favorite stories to tell... Around 1994 I was working at a small production company in Culver City and I mentioned to the front office staff that in my record collection I have at least one song for every girl's name. The night receptionist was from Russia and said, "No. You don't have my name on a song." I said, "Oh, yes I do!" "Prove it!" she replied. The next day she was shocked when I brought in the album and showed her the track "Ljuba Ljuba" and played the cassette I brought (since there was no turntable at the facility)... And, yes, Her name was Ljuba. She was highly amused and wanted to go to dinner with me. (I declined, naturally, as I was already married to Mrs. Bill).

--Mr Bill

It got a lot of airplay here in Bakersfield too. The whole hysteria about the massive earthquake on the San Andreas Fault that never happened back then. San Francisco breaking away from the rest of the state as a result of such a huge disaster.

Back
Top Bottom