One&Done @ A&M: Spirits & Worm / (s/t) -- SP 4229

JOv2

• Comments, questions, conjectures and stories are welcomed.
  • Released in 1969
spirit-a.jpg

spirit-b.jpg

It's not anything like I imagined, considering it's storied past. It sounds like a typical rock album of the day - nothing frightening, or even satanic. All in all, not terrible.

I would wager Black Sabbath's first album was a lot "heavier." And it's not all that frightening either.

A New Jersey collector I corresponded with in the early '90s explained the original LP was pulled from distribution because of the "satanic" goat and tombstone cover art. Only 15 or 20 copies were sold, all in the NYC area, before the purge. Fortunately there were several LP reissues and finally a CD on the Akarma label. Band member Tommy Parris remains active in music. I recall seeing a video of him doing an oldies show for an audience of senior citizens.

JB

It looks like only one A&M copy has sold through Discogs, for $1,000.

As @LPJim mentions, the other versions were released on vinyl starting in 1994 on Sweet Herb Records, Water Serpent Records, and then a tandem release on vinyl and CD on the Akarma label from Italy in 2001. There are still some of these available right now on Discogs.

Back
Top Bottom