One&Done @ A&M: Steve Young / Rock Salt and Nails -- SP 4177

JOv2

• Comments, questions, conjectures and stories are welcomed.
  • Released in 1969
steve-a.jpg

steve-b.jpg

Steve Young is best known for writing "Seven Bridges Road," a huge hit for the Eagles. His own version is featured on SP 4177. The album is part of the very earliest country-rock fusion movement, along with A&M artists the Flying Burrito Brothers, Dillard & Clark and John Braden. This work was quite innovative and ahead of its time. Young also wrote "Lonesome On'ry and Mean" for Waylon Jennings (another early A&M artist).

ROCK SALT & NAILS was reissued on CD in 1986 by Edsel Records. It's well worth seeking out for its historic importance.

In 1994 he played at a local songwriter showcase event with Lucinda Williams.

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_142056_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210911_142056_hdr.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Not bad. Not bad at all. In fact, I just ordered it up. Thanks, LPJim, for the background information. (Along with Brewer & Shipley, this is another fine release from the classic era.)

I first became aware of Seven Bridges Road when it was recorded by Joan Baez on her album One Day At A Time. This was back about 1970 or 1971. I saw this in the catalog but as usual, I never saw Young's album in this market. I think if she released it as a single it might have drawn some attention to Steve Young and his album.

Back
Top Bottom