One&Done @ A&M: The Merry-Go-Round / (self-titled) SP/LP 4132

JOv2

• Comments, questions, conjectures and stories are welcomed.
  • Released SEP1967
merry.jpg

This one will no doubt get some discussion so I’ll start.

During 1968, the group continued to record and release singles, but chart action was elusive. In early 1969, Emitt Rhodes, the leader and songwriter, disbanded the group. He continued to record for A&M throughout 1969: no singles were issued, but as a contractual obligation, A&M assembled some non-LP Merry-Go-Round recordings from 1967-68 along with the newer 1969 recordings and issued a "solo" LP in Emitt Rhodes’ name in APR1970, titled The American Dream.

emmit.jpg

Rhodes had no involvement regarding LP preparation. Meanwhile, over at Dunhill, Rhodes released his "official" debut LP, NOV1970. The self-titled LP charted quite well (it’s a pretty good LP — being a one-man-band outing like Paul McCartney / McCartney (’69)— just much better). In response, A&M saw fit to re-issue the 1970 release (with one song change and different cover art) in FEB1971.

emmit-re.jpg

Got the complete Merry Go Round on CD which adds a hidden bonus track at the end of the CD, the remake of The Beach Boys "California Girls" (with Herb Alpert on trumpet)!!

Something else to consider: Emitt was born, FEB1950 -- which meant he was 16 or 17 when he was signed to A&M. I conjecture that he may have wanted out in '69 to move to Dunhill to do a record "his way", yet his was locked into the A&M contract that his parents may not have wanted him to break -- so he cut all those sides to be done with A&M.

he remake of The Beach Boys "California Girls" (with Herb Alpert on trumpet)!!
I have that too; I think that's the only way to get at that Herb recording.

One of my favorites... I was pretty bummed out to read "late" Emitt Rhodes... I hadn't heard of his passing (A&M Matt must've missed it)...

--Mr Bill

One of my favorites... I was pretty bummed out to read "late" Emitt Rhodes... I hadn't heard of his passing (A&M Matt must've missed it)...

--Mr Bill
Yeah, he passed in July last year. Came up in my news feed at the time. Surprised but also, not surprised, unfortunately.

I was at a used record and bookstore today and they had this album in stereo for $30.00. That is a bit out of my price range but they actually had two copies.

$30 is probably an average price for VG+/NM condition on an original A&M pressing. It sort of has a cult following. Sundazed reissued this on vinyl at some point, but it's probably out of print by now. I found a Sundazed copy on Discogs for $28 including shipping, still sealed.

That's a fair price considering the age & rarity of the original album. I have a mono LP 132 white label promo. For the best value if the music (rather than being a collector) is your objective the double CD containing both SP 4132 & 4254 is your best bet.

JB

I was going to recommend the Rev-Ola CD, but that too is out of print and commanding higher prices.

The Rev-Ola CD is around $50, shipped, but considering it contains two albums which are rare and difficult to find in clean condition on vinyl, the price really isn't that bad if you really want the music.

Hip-O Select also released a collection, The Emitt Rhodes Recordings (1969-1973), that apparently covers his four post-Merry-Go-Round albums and throws in the 1973 single "Tame the Lion." Don't know if it's still available on CD, but it's available as a download, as well as the original Merry-Go-Round album.

So the music's out there if you really want it. 🙂

I was actually at the record store to look for Sergio Mendes and Brasil'66 Fool On The Hill in mono. I happen to see The Merry Go Round in the bin and was surprised to see it as the vast majority of "One and Done" lp's I have never seen in this area.

Back
Top Bottom