Oral History Of The 1994 Carpenters Tribute Album, 'If I Were A Carpenter'

GaryAlan

Thanks Matt for posting the original link.

Paul Williams: "Her vocals were kept front and center so you could experience the emotion they carried and the elegance of her voice that was such a hybrid of melancholy, sensuality and sadness. "
David Lowery (Cracker): "They were one of my guilty pleasures that weren't exactly in vogue in the early '90s."

Yesterday Once More (Twice Over): An Oral History Of The 1994 Carpenters Tribute Album,
'If I Were A Carpenter'

25 years after the release of Carpenters tribute album 'If I Were A Carpenter', the Recording Academy speaks to those involved about the project's legacy
WILL HODGE.

SEPTEMBER 13, 2019
Excerpts:
"With its roster of 1990s alternative music rabble-rousers celebrating the 1970s clean-cut, musical prodigy duo The Carpenters, the left-of-center tribute album If I Were A Carpenter wonderfully delivers on these concepts in spades. This month marks 25 years since the release of If I Were A Carpenter, providing a nice echo of its origins, as the tribute album was initially conceived as a commemoration of the 25th anniversary of The Carpenters' debut album, Offering. "
"It was a labor of love hatched by two longtime friends, Matt Wallace and Dave Konjoyan, who bonded over their love of the exemplary music crafted by the sibling duo of Karen and Richard Carpenter
."
-- the Recording Academy conducted an oral history featuring the album's co-producers Matt Wallace and Dave Konjoyan, legendary songwriter (and Carpenters collaborator) Paul Williams, and many of the artists involved, including Matthew Sweet, Johnette Napolitano, Grant-Lee Phillips, members of The Cranberries, Cracker, Dishwalla and more. --
Oral History: 'If I Were A Carpenter' Turns 25

Read all about it,
then discuss !

Growing up (so-to-speak) in the 1990's, as a teen I really admired this project. It was like a sign, the Carpenters music is "cool." (???)
I listened to a lot of the artists on this tribute. When reading the above article the word "juxtapose" was used a couple of times. It really does apply to the music of the Carpenters, but I don't recall that word being used in other articles.

A recent review:
"The only reason why you’ll remember this album is for the somewhat off-putting Sonic Youth
cover of “Superstar” that was later used in Juno. But much like DGC Rarities, I was pleasantly surprised by the rest of the tracks on this compilation. The album is the brainchild of producer Matt Wallace (who had produced the Replacements, and was currently producing bands like Faith No More) and David Konjoyan, and it really seems odd to me, even today. If you were going to combine the adult contemporary-leaning ’70s pop of the Carpenters with piano-based bands like Keane would be one thing, but to make this album in the mid-’90s with grunge bands when the Carpenters were firmly considered “my parents music”? I would’ve never come up with this."
"But you know what? It’s really good. It was really fun to hear a lot of the lead singers hit proper notes instead of growling.
You can tell a lot of these folks have better singing chops than the grunge lifestyle allows them to show off.
The best blends of grunge plus Carpenters came in the tracks by Dishwalla (It’s Going to Take Some time), Shonen Knife (Top of the World) and Johnette Napolitano with Mark Moreland (Hurting Each Other). Cracker went minimalist on “Rainy Days and Mondays,” Sheryl Crow went dramatic and appropriately stark on “Solitaire,and Matthew Sweet went country slide guitar and clean precise vocals on “Let Me Be the One.” 4 Non Blondes put their sound all over “Bless the Beasts and Children,” and Grant Lee Buffalo went really close to the original on “We’ve Only Just Begun.” The Cranberries went incredibly endearing and sweet on “(They Long to Be) Close To You,” which was a favorite highlight of mine, as was the inclusion of Bettie Serveert (“For All We Know”). I didn’t find Bettie Serveert until their album Log 22, so hearing them pop up ten years earlier with their signature sound was a real treat. Come for Sonic Youth, but make sure you check out the rest."
Source:
September 1994: ReBoot, Party of Five, Blues Traveler's Four and More

I wouldn't mind another version of this for the 50th anniversary!
I take though that some forum residents don't like their songs done by other people, or changes to the structures of the songs? I respect that, but personally feel any publicity is good publicity in regards to getting the word out about the magic of the Carpenters catalog. I don't think the 1994 tribute album did any disservice to Karen and Richard and the Carpenters legacy. "If I were a Carpenter" I would feel quite honored! :wink:

I'll be waiting for the 2019 version...........(Except if it's Rap. Sorry!)

I like Stone Temple Pilots, I really wish they had made it onto this tribute album.
Here is a recent article: Stone Temple Pilots—Long Way Home:
" I used to go to the Garden State Arts Center—the PNC now—and that’s where I saw my first concert.
I saw the Carpenters there when I was five. So that was really special."
and,
"What an amazing show. Karen Carpenter, front and center."

Articles:
Stone Temple Pilots—Long Way Home | The Aquarian
Stone Temple Pilot's Robert DeLeo Shares His '70s Childhood Memories, Photos (EXCLUSIVE)

Last edited:
That sure would have been something had Stone Temple Pilots and the Smashing Pumpkins made it onto the album.
Also, reading about how others got to see Carpenters in concert leaves me kind of dumbfounded. 'Karen Carpenter, front and center' - Amazing, indeed.

Read all about it,
then discuss !

GaryAlan, so glad you brought this to our attention! All I ever read previously about this tribute CD was the fawning treatment given in Entertainment Weekly, including Richard's thoughts on the performances.

So reading this "oral history" is illuminating and satisfying. Learning that there were other artists who were interested (e.g., Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins) but were unable to be involved is also rewarding. Further, it's fun to read these artists' thoughts on what they considered to be the best performances from this tribute CD. I always liked the project as a whole, as there were some brilliant moments. People can gush all they want about Sonic Youth's "Superstar" and Shonen Knife's "Top of the World," and with good reason. Yet I still maintain that "It's Going to Take Some Time" by Dishwalla was the standout, going in not only a different direction but also elevating the arrangement to something even more special.

Yet I still maintain that "It's Going to Take Some Time" by Dishwalla was the standout, going in not only a different direction but also elevating the arrangement to something even more special.

I quite agree. Cranberries Close to You is nice, too, as is Let Me Be The One; however, mostly because the material is too good to screw up, probably. But It's Going to Take Some Time is the stand out here.

I quite agree. Cranberries Close to You is nice, too, as is Let Me Be The One; however, mostly because the material is too good to screw up, probably. But It's Going to Take Some Time is the stand out here.

Geographer, thanks a million for your feedback, here and elsewhere! I also agree with you on the songs you mentioned. Richard backing up Matthew Sweet on "Let Me Be the One" was genius, a comfort, a natural!

Geographer, thanks a million for your feedback, here and elsewhere! I also agree with you on the songs you mentioned. Richard backing up Matthew Sweet on "Let Me Be the One" was genius, a comfort, a natural!

While we are on the subject of IIWAC....the other songs I bothered to download (from the CD to my iPod) and listen to regularly (besides It's Going to Take Some Time, Close To You, and Let Me Be the One) are Top of the World and Bless the Beasts and the Children. These five are the only ones that "work" in my opinion. The rest I don't enjoy nearly as much as the originals. I know a lot has been said for Superstar...and I TRY to like it; however, I just can't get there. I'm accustomed to the song, but just can't get it in the "like" column. I know Richard has said he hates it.

The rest of the album is a throw-away to me.

I wish there would be another "tribute" album of various artist; however, this time, use more time-tested "serious" artists. How about KD Lang doing "Superstar;" or Manhattan Transfer doing "Yesterday Once More." Could you imagine the harmonies on that? I think that would make a fantastic album!

"It's Going to Take Some Time" by Dishwalla was the standout, going in not only a different direction but also elevating the arrangement to something even more special.
But It's Going to Take Some Time is the stand out here.

This is where my "love affair" with this band started, as I was never that taken with Carole's or the Carpenters version of this song.

Cashbox, December 31, 1994:
"The strangest tribute of the year, and most hyped because of it,
was A&M’s If I Was A Carpenter, which featured alternative darlings covering the pop schmaltz of Richard and Karen Carpenter.
Unfortunately, the sales didn’t follow the critical hype, but it was one of the year’s better records—period." (page 9)

What a great article! I missed this post originally. I loved this album when it came out, a truly fascinating musical curio from the time - and a massive shame Stone Temple Pilots and Smashing Pumkins never made it. I must say in the UK we have a huge alternative music scene and i've rarely met anyone from that scene, from punks to metalheads and all in between, who do not have a healthy Capenters appreciation - or at the very least a respect for Karen's voice.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to get a whole new tribute album all these years later that reflected the current music scene? Something more electronic, urban, r&b centric ... Beyonce, Adele, The Weeknd, Billie Eilish, FKA Twigs, Sevdaliza - the list goes on .... maybe i'm just thinking out loud, but it would be so lovely to have a whole new wave of appreciation from the current crop of talent.

Back in the 90’s I kind of wondered why more popular, mainstream artists were not asked to contribute a song. Like Michael Bolton or Whitney Houston. Really the only mainstream artist on the album were the Cranberries.

Back in the 90’s I kind of wondered why more popular, mainstream artists were not asked to contribute a song. Like Michael Bolton or Whitney Houston. Really the only mainstream artist on the album were the Cranberries.

I think it was meant to be "alternate" or maybe even "grunge" rock artists and not mainstream "pop" artists of the day. Which is why I thought it odd that Sheryl Crow was on there. I thought of her as more a mainstream artist at that time.

Returning to 1994 and another snide remark....
"PAUL FINN, Alt. Show Producer, WABN, Tri Cities, SONIC YOUTH Superstar (A&M) -
"It's frightening that The Carpenters are back and that it's on Alternative, but if it's going to be, it might as well be Sonic Youth."
Source:

Then again, we get this...
"GARY SCHOENWETTER, MD, WEQX, Manchester SONIC YOUTH Superstar (A&M) -
"Any way we can play The Carpenters is a good way. Surprisingly little negative reaction. Great positive phones."
Source:

People who've decided to hate Sonic Youth's "Superstar" for being off-putting may not understanding what they were doing. Even Richard totally missed it. He thought they were making fun of Carpenters...and they weren't. Sonic Youth found a "stalker" tune beneath the song...and nailed it. It's all kinds of disturbing just like it was supposed to be. The production is just brilliant. Love the backwards tapes and the effects.

There were other things on the record that were clearly lampooning the Carpenters (Babes in Toyland was clearly...um...uninvested). Sonic Youth absolutely was; they just weren't being reverential and they found something new in the song. That's what artists should do.

Ed

Here is a short review of this release.
Hi Fi News & Record Review
Nov 1994
4jUPWmw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom