Original Brasil 66 line up (Shouts of encouragement)

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody can answer this question ? On the first three albums, Herb Alpert Presents, Equinox and Look Around.
Which of the male members of Brasil 66, was responsible for the occasional encouragement shout on tracks such as The Joker, Berimbau, Chove Chuva etc during the recording of these albums.

Thanks

Povilas1954

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody can answer this question ? On the first three albums, Herb Alpert Presents, Equinox and Look Around.
Which of the male members of Brasil 66, was responsible for the occasional encouragement shout on tracks such as The Joker, Berimbau, Chove Chuva etc during the recording of these albums.

Thanks

Povilas1954

I am 100% positive that you are hearing the voice of Jose Soares shouting out encouragement to the band. The proof can be heard when Jose transitioned over to the musical group Carnival in 1969. On the track Canto de Carnival from the album "Carnival" you will also hear the same voice shouting out "come on, come on," "ah ha," "whoop," and "yeah," as you also hear on the above Brasil 66 songs. I really like the way he does that. It personalizes the performances and makes you feel like you are right there. And of course, Jose was a masterful percussionist.

What I loved about the first three Brasil 66 albums were vocal call and respond segments between Lani and Janis and Sergio, Jose and Bob. These five vocalists gave the group a full and unique vocal sound missing in later Brasil 66 albums, where Sergio was the only male vocalist.

I am 100% positive that you are hearing the voice of Jose Soares shouting out encouragement to the band. The proof can be heard when Jose transitioned over to the musical group Carnival in 1969. On the track Canto de Carnival from the album "Carnival" you will also hear the same voice shouting out "come on, come on," "ah ha," "whoop," and "yeah," as you also hear on the above Brasil 66 songs. I really like the way he does that. It personalizes the performances and makes you feel like you are right there. And of course, Jose was a masterful percussionist.

What I loved about the first three Brasil 66 albums were vocal call and respond segments between Lani and Janis and Sergio, Jose and Bob. These five vocalists gave the group a full and unique vocal sound missing in later Brasil 66 albums, where Sergio was the only male vocalist.

Many thanks for your reply, I have followed Sergio Mendes and his various groups for more years than i care to mention ?
I agree with you entirely, for me this will always be the best lineup.

I liked the second lineup also (incredibly talented and highly regarded), but Grusin's overbearing orchestrations ruin some of the songs.

Too bad Universal barbecued all their masters. They could have released "Unstringed" remixes of those records.

There is also a very faint "Haa!" male voice at the very beginning of "Chelsea Morning," from Stillness.

I also hear a loud "Haaaa" just when Norweigan wood from Ye-me-Le starts really going after the slow opening solo by Lani

I was wrong based on the following video--it was bassist Bob Matthews with shouts of encouragement from the first three Brasil 66 albums--not Jose Soares. Case in point is this live performance of "Day Tripper" with Eartha Kitt. Go to 1:22 of the video when Jose and Eartha start dancing. Jose is just dancing without his lips moving. Clearly the shouts of encouragement are coming from the rear from Bob Matthews on bass--the same voice shouting out on the aforementioned albums. You will recognize that same voice--Bob's--on Carnival's "Canto de Carnival." Bob was briefly with Carnival in its early days and then left to work with the likes of the Willie Bobo band, Sammy Davis Jr., etc.

Back
Top Bottom