• Two exciting new Carpenters releases are now available. The new book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy can be ordered here. A big thanks to the authors and Richard Carpenter for their tremendous effort in compiling this book! Also, the new solo piano album Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook is available for ordering here.

Other Female Drummers!

Sue

Today on BBC breakfast news there was an article about our most famous 12 year old female drummer. There's been a lot of publicity this year about drummers, particularly linked to Taylor Hawkins.
Every news article makes me think of Karen and wonde if the young female drummers of today have ever heard of Karen Carpenter the drummer! I will try and share the link to this mornings article.
Definitely worth a look. Taylor's 16 year old son is amazing as well but
Nandi Bushell @ 12yrs is just amazing!
Just made me wonder if KC had been given this publicity as a drummer, would she ever have come out from behind that drum kit!

Someone said somewhere, what Adele is to now is what Karen was to the 70's. Adele singing "Hello" on Carpool Karaoke with James Corden at about 2:10 She tells him she was playing drums on "Hello." She does have a drums credit on the album. Have no idea what her skill level is compared to Karen's.

From Canada's longest running radio documentary series: The Ongoing History of New Music, Episode 959: The History of Female Drummers. Airdate: July 2022 or a few days ago? The host, Alan Cross, starts by describing when he first learned there were female drummers when he saw Karen on the Carpenters first TV special. KC still being recognized as a drummer in 2022. I think she would be happy.

(The one general criticism of female drummers that was mentioned was the "not enough strength" line. Made me think about the issue of replacing KC with Hal Blaine for "Close to You" and onward.)

Podcast can be found easier on the following website. Scroll down about 25 episodes in the list to find it.

Last edited:

Carrie Underwood, serious drummer or just for show?

Wideopencountry.com news article covering opening night (Oct. 15, 2022) of Carrie Underwood's 43-city Denim & Rhinestones Tour at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, S.C. ---

"While performing "Poor Everybody Else," Underwood showed a different side of her musical talent via an epic drum solo. Underwood's crowd-thrilling move was reminiscent of both that famous video of The Carpenters' Karen Carpenter demonstrating her virtuosic drumming skills and country music outsider Margo Price's regular live detours to the drum kit."

Top Bottom