Other Female Singers

Laufey...... When this new 24 year old 2024 Grammy winner for Best Traditional Pop Vocal album gets described as a "Gen Z Karen Carpenter" who's going to be huge, a "jazz-inflected Karen Carpenter," or jazz's answer to Taylor Swift, I had to take a look at who this Laufey is. I have to admit I liked what I heard, but is this what Karen might have sounded like if she had transitioned to jazz and had more "swing" as was mentioned in another thread?

https://archive.ph/XBlLV (Daily Telegraph review article without paywall)

2024 Grammy performance -

Wow- I liked it too! And all those background vocals. Really nice...

Lena Zavaroni!

Loved her - she was a child star in the UK when I was a child and even at that young age, I remember watching her on TV and thinking she had one hell of a voice. Like Karen, she developed an eating disorder, but her life took a very sad turn of events when she decided to opt for surgery in her 30s (if you can believe it, akin to a partial lobotomy), in an attempt to cure her addiction. Quite why this barbaric treatment was ever condoned in the UK as late as 1999 is beyond me, but she died from complications of her surgery three weeks later.

Dina Carroll. Loved her from first hear and still do now. This was my favourite of all the singles she released.

Lena Zavaroni!
I only know of Lena from an episode of "Are You Being Served?" and the reference was that the record was the only way of Mrs. Slocombe's cat going out in the rain by playing the record. To me it seems that Lena was not very good, hence the quip. I did see an album of hers in a local thrift stone so somebody here in the USA bought at least one copy!

I am not sure if she has been mentioned in earlier postings but one of my favorite female artists is Buffy Sainte-Marie. I first heard her single I'm Gonna Be A Country Girl Again on the radio back in 1968. I really liked it a lot. The first album I got was her Best Of, probably in 1971 when I joined the Record Club of America. I picked that album as a free selection for joining, based on that one song. I was never very enamored of the "Ballerina" album next released so I no longer have it. I have nearly all the Vanguard releases either on lp or cd. My favorite overall is Illuminations. That cd gets the most play of the albums that I have by her.

Back
Top Bottom