Other Female Singers

I'm not at all religious, like many Australians, so havent prayers to offer, but I do hope that Olivia Newton-John makes a full recovery. She seems to be a good person, from what is put out there about her. I think she can be proud that she's used her celebrity for the good of humankind and the natural world.

I've definitely been listening to Evanescene a lot in recent months. This is one of my favorites:

Yes one of many I like, this from their 2nd album.

Obviously, they are goth rock/metal, so an ocean away from what the C's did, but I'm fairly eclectic in my musical tastes and I adore her voice. She's also a classically trained pianist, harpist, lyricist and song-writer, an extremely talented woman. From all the interviews I've seen/read with/about Amy, I doubt she'd like the C's - she has that "commercial pop = crap" mentality, it seems. Ahh well, I forgive her :uhhuh:

^^^
Whoa, Amy Lee has a powerful voice! How the heck did I not hear of her before now? I'm hopelessly out of touch. :laugh:

Speaking of powerful voices, here's a really cheesy '80's video from my favourite metal singer, Lee Aaron...

The song "First Chance I Get" by Ron Sexsmith (from his 1995 self -titled second CD) reminds me of Dwight Yoakam. The song "Secret Heart" (also from his self - titled) was also covered by Rod Stewart (from 1998 "When We Were The New Boys"). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I love Karen's interpretation of "Goodnight".....
I very much enjoy Linda Ronstadt's version, too.....

Speaking of Linda Ronstadt...As much as I love Karen and her version of Desperado, there is just something about Linda's performance that edges out Karen's IMHO :hide:.

Not to continually beat the drum for Linda Ronstadt, but I would've loved to hear Karen do a version of this (I just love beautiful, doe-eyed, dark-haired females with spectacular voices!)

HAHA!! Murray you kill me!:laugh:
You know what really kills me? Knowing that Karen recorded "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", but we'll probably never get to hear it! Here's Linda's version for those who might not be familiar with the song...

:love:

Last edited:
You know what really kills me? Knowing that Karen recorded "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", but we'll probably never get to hear it

Had it ever been confirmed by Richard that there's a complete lead vocal for it? If there is then there must be something Richard is dissatisfied with because it would be crazy to leave a song like that unreleased. I can't imagine Karen having the vocal prowess in 1980 to match Linda's definitive version, maybe that's why it's remained unreleased.

Here's a thread about it from 2011:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Last edited:
I personally don't think that Linda Ronstadt's voice is that great, but she has had a lot of iconic hits. The 70s and early 80s wouldn't have been the same without her. I do have a couple of her compilations and five or six of her studio albums on CD, so she must have a certain amount of appeal for me, despite my misgivings. I collected three of her singles as a teen - 'Blue Bayou', 'Alison' and 'Mister Sandman', (with Emmy-Lou Harris and Dolly Parton). My favourite track by her would be Elvis Costello's 'Alison'. Albums that I have listened to the most would be 'Heart Like a Wheel' and 'Simple Dreams'. I'm impressed by Andrew Gold's contribution to 'Heart Like a Wheel'.

Do you feel that Bev Bivens, the original vocalist for the 60s folk rock group We Five, was a forerunner of Karen I'm terms of how her vocals sounded?

Bev's vocal timbre and enunciation seem to foreshadow what the world would hear from Karen a few years later.

Do you feel that Bev Bivens, the original vocalist for the 60s folk rock group We Five, was a forerunner of Karen I'm terms of how her vocals sounded?

Bev's vocal timbre and enunciation seem to foreshadow what the world would hear from Karen a few years later.

LOVE this. Thanks for sharing. :)

There are certainly similarities, especially in that Bev Bivens sings in a lower register here. She doesn't appear to have the vocal control that Karen had, though, just judging from this song. (I just watched two different versions on YouTube).

I do remember this song, but I'm not sure whether from We Five's version or other versions.

I think I would be interested in exploring more of We Five's music. They have not been on my radar at all.

From this recording, it doesn't look as if Bev Bivens would have been any threat to Karen in the 'Best Vocalist' stakes but she has an interesting tone.

I like a lot of female voices with rich lower registers - Karen, Anne Murray, Ella Fitzgerald, Tanita Tikaram, Deni Hines, Carly Simon, Liv Maessen - but I like the voices of Kate Bush, Lisa Mitchell, (when she sings soprano on her overdubbed background vocals - not so much her chest voice), and Maire Brennan, too!

I like this 'You Were On My Mind' song.

Last edited:
I always thought the lead vocalist was a man!
Lol. On some of the clips of this song on YouTube, one of the male members of We Five is sharing lead vocals. He's singing along with Bev Bivens and his voice is overpowering hers, in sections.

Back
Top Bottom