Other Female Singers

In the Reader's Digest album box set "Close To You" (from 1974), Shelby Flint does with the Perry Botkin, Jr. Orchestra "It's Too Late" (Carole King 1971 song), "Make It With You" (Bread 1970 song) & "Rainy Days And Mondays" (The Carpenters 1971 song). Both Amazon & EBay do not have the album box set though. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Just some additional info. The pirate movie was a bomb for Kristy, the movie was never released until recently on DVD. The movie soundtrack has never been released on CD to this day. There are about 4 or 5 songs from both Kristy and Christopher. I think there pretty cool songs. The only way to get those songs is on vinyl. The vinyl goes for big bucks and is hard to find. I was in a local record store recently and stumbled upon a mint copy of the vinyl and both it for $10.00

The Pirate Movie reminds me in a way how Xanadu was handled. It took forever for them to finally released Xanadu on CD. In the US it wasn't until 1998 I believe when the CD came out when the movie was originally released in 1980. The Pirate Movie has never had a CD soundtrack. The album version of the songs from The Pirate Movie are different than the movie versions. Both movies became cult classics for the fans.

Back to the 90's and three talented singer songwriters. Beverley Craven's 'Love Scenes', Tasmin Archer's 'Sleeping Satellite' and a Cathy Dennis/Ray 'The Kinks' Davis collaboration on The Date.

I personally don't think that Linda Ronstadt's voice is that great, but she has had a lot of iconic hits. The 70s and early 80s wouldn't have been the same without her. I do have a couple of her compilations and five or six of her studio albums on CD, so she must have a certain amount of appeal for me, despite my misgivings. I collected three of her singles as a teen - 'Blue Bayou', 'Alison' and 'Mister Sandman', (with Emmy-Lou Harris and Dolly Parton). My favourite track by her would be Elvis Costello's 'Alison'. Albums that I have listened to the most would be 'Heart Like a Wheel' and 'Simple Dreams'. I'm impressed by Andrew Gold's contribution to 'Heart Like a Wheel'.

Was it about her voice that you don't like?

Was it about her voice that you don't like?

Love Linda Ronstadt's voice. So many iconic hit songs, from her "Stone Poneys" days, through the decades. As with all of us at some point, her age has gotten to her, with Parkinson's. Read a while ago that she "cannot sing a single note" anymore :sad: .

I never viewed her voice as unique as Karen's is, nor ultimately an intimate. But what a set of pipes. Amazing range and can belt with the best of them, then quiet down with a soft falsetto (ignoring the controversy of whether women indeed have a "falsetto"; I claim they do :wink: ).

Love Linda Ronstadt's voice. So many iconic hit songs, from her "Stone Poneys" days, through the decades. As with all of us at some point, her age has gotten to her, with Parkinson's. Read a while ago that she "cannot sing a single note" anymore :sad: .

I never viewed her voice as unique as Karen's is, nor ultimately an intimate. But what a set of pipes. Amazing range and can belt with the best of them, then quiet down with a soft falsetto (ignoring the controversy of whether women indeed have a "falsetto"; I claim they do :wink: ).

Like Karen, Linda's voice has an innate combination of great warmth and a melancholy/yearning, though never as deeply mournful as Karen's because of her higher vocal range. Karen had the capability to belt like Linda but their toned down sound and Richard's arrangements called for Karen to reign it in, which resulted in her calm, restrained signature style (listen to her in the 1966 choir and tell me Karen couldn't belt with power - God, just imagine if she could do that at 16, then think about how rich it would be in her 20s). As Karen herself said, she's an "easy going singer" but she had other dimensions that went underused.

I often think that Linda's standard trilogy with Nelson Riddle could have been something much like Karen would do and sound similar too, of course with a lower range. A combination of powerful vocals and soft, wistful tones swirling around lush instrumentals - it could have been an amazing way for Karen to demonstrate her vocal range and show that she was capable of much more.

We saw Linda live at Universal Amphitheater when she was touring to promote What's New. She was incredible.

Like Karen, Linda's voice has an innate combination of great warmth and a melancholy/yearning, though never as deeply mournful as Karen's because of her higher vocal range. Karen had the capability to belt like Linda but their toned down sound and Richard's arrangements called for Karen to reign it in, which resulted in her calm, restrained signature style (listen to her in the 1966 choir and tell me Karen couldn't belt with power - God, just imagine if she could do that at 16, then think about how rich it would be in her 20s). As Karen herself said, she's an "easy going singer" but she had other dimensions that went underused.

I often think that Linda's standard trilogy with Nelson Riddle could have been something much like Karen would do and sound similar too, of course with a lower range. A combination of powerful vocals and soft, wistful tones swirling around lush instrumentals - it could have been an amazing way for Karen to demonstrate her vocal range and show that she was capable of much more.

Yes, Karen could, and did, belt - although it seems Karen made the decision to tone down her belting, as she felt it was often "over-singing" (her words, if memory serves).

Yes I can hear the 1980's filled with Karen duets, perhaps. Ahh, the what-might-have-been's.

Yes, Karen could, and did, belt - although it seems Karen made the decision to tone down her belting, as she felt it was often "over-singing" (her words, if memory serves).

Yes I can hear the 1980's filled with Karen duets, perhaps. Ahh, the what-might-have-been's.

It seems that after 1975 her style changed a lot, partially by choice I'm sure, and became even more restrained, focusing more on the lyric than primarily just focusing on the emotional, yearning element conveyed. Karen never over-sung, I don't agree with her at all. When she belted in those early days it was still done with a refinement and total emotional commitment to the lyric, it never became about her showing off what her voice could do technically. I wish she didn't equate belting with over-singing because they are totally different things. As she said, she maybe wouldn't be as loud as the near-operatic Streisand was, but who cares even if she couldn't? She had the technical power, technique and emotional connection that I don't think she would ever over-sing. Sometimes not having the loudest voice is a huge asset as it keeps a singer from forgetting why they are singing in the first place. Also, contralto belters are much easier on the ears usually.

We saw Linda live at Universal Amphitheater when she was touring to promote What's New. She was incredible.

I've seen some of those live clips online, she looked gorgeous and visually put herself right into that era that she slid into vocally. I love how they recreated it all from the music/promotional videos made for the album at the time.

For any other Basia fans, her new album Butterfly comes out the 18th of this month.

Mysite
If the link doesn't work, it's on the Basiasongs website.

The only singer, to me, who comes close to Karen's warmth and sensitiveness in her voice is the Belgian singer Maurane, who just died this week at 57.

Back
Top Bottom