• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Other Female Singers

Murray

I've been on an Atomic Kitten binge lately. :catwalk: It's such a shame that they broke up in 2004, after recording only three albums. One of the best girl groups ever... I absolutely LOVE this song! :love:

John M

A Biopic of Helen Reddy is ready-to-go (though, not yet picked-up by USA):
"Following its premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in September, the film will be released in Australia on 21 May next year (2020)."
I Am Woman tells the story of the Melbourne-born singer who "arrived in New York in 1966, virtually broke and a single mother of a toddler, before she went on to become one of the most successful recording artists of her generation. She wrote and sang the song I Am Woman that became the anthem for the women's movement in the 1970s".
Look here:
https://themusic.com.au/news/helen-reddy-i-am-woman-first-look-trailer/qIqwur28v74/02-12-19/
Hi Gary: I hope all is well. Been a huge Carpenters fan since 1970, when I first heard Close To You on a family vacation. But specifically wanted to thank you here for mentioning Helen Reddy who, in my opinion, has been severely under-rated through the years. Thank you!

John M

Hi Gary: I hope all is well. Been a huge Carpenters fan since 1970, when I first heard Close To You on a family vacation. But specifically wanted to thank you here for mentioning Helen Reddy who, in my opinion, has been severely under-rated through the years. Thank you!

GaryAlan

^^Totally agree...Helen Reddy is vastly underrated as vocalist.
As with Karen Carpenter, if only "the hits" are known,
then the general public misses the most important, significant, songs.
You're My World is a fine example of her soaring vocals.
Candle On the Water
is beautifully performed.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
One of my favorite Helen Reddy recordings is "Best Friend" from her I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LOVE HIM album. She also performed it in the AIRPORT '75 movie.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I gave in to temptation, and ordered the CD. It says on Harriet's website that this album is not going to be released digitally, so the only way to hear it is to buy the CD.
Which makes me wonder why is she still offering physical CDs when people are not buying them now. I wonder if downloads across different countries and continents creates more issues than just offering it on physical media. Does issuing a physical CD make it more exclusive in today’s world of music?

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Does issuing a physical CD make it more exclusive in today’s world of music?
I wouldn’t have thought so. Not unless the CD comes with some sort of exclusive insert or booklet you don’t get with downloads or streaming. A lot of CDs are now released straight to “deluxe edition” anyway, including bonus tracks that you only used to get as downloads.

I'm a huge fan of Judy Garland, I've been listening to her music since I was a kid. I prefer her recordings from the 1940s and 1950s - especially from her movies, studio albums, and radio broadcasts. Her cuts for Decca are a mixed bag, so I don't listen to them often. My favorite Judy album is Judy in Love, it has these great jazz arrangements (Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart, especially) and the production is fabulous. I'm surprised it didn't chart . . . I still haven't listened to the entire Judy at Carnegie Hall album yet, but that's on my to-do list!

Here's a fantastic performance of Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart on a 1943 Command Performance program. Judy was only 20 here!

One of my favorite performances from the Carnegie Hall album:

Rachel

Someone said that time would ease the pain...
Hope you have a chance to listen to the Carnegie album soon. My favorite is this one; but you really can't go wrong with anything from that concert.

Top Bottom