Other Female Singers

For me, a good example of how music is a universal language that transcends all nationalities.
Absolutely! And I like your "find". That's a good song and performed really well. I can understand why it's so popular on YouTube.

I've latched onto bunches of songs in other languages that I haven't a clue about what's being sung. It doesn't matter - for me it's the sound of the song and the way it's performed. It can grab me in any language.

I still recall sitting in a little restaurant in Switzerland and hearing this unfamiliar music that had a familiar "feel" to it. The singer sounded to me like Andrea Corr, but this was all in Italian. I asked our waitress if she knew who it was and she informed me that she was an Italian singer named Laura Pausini. The very next record store we encountered on the trip was in Salzburg, Austria, and I found a couple of Laura Pausini discs and one of them was indeed the one I'd heard in the restaurant.

Here's one of the songs that sounded very "Corrs-like" to me, with the overdubbed harmonies on the chorus, "Cosi Importante"

And there are others I've latched onto, largely Spanish or Portuguese-speaking artists: Lunna, Maria Conchita Alonso, Jeanette Dimech, Gracinha Leporace, Wanda De Sa, Astrud Gilberto, and the many vocalists with Sergio Mendes including native American Lani Hall. Oh, and let's not forget Quebec's Veronique Beliveau - I've got one of her French albums.

As I play some of those songs again and again, I begin to get the feel of the lyrics without understanding a word, and can even sing along phonetically.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this song. I don’t know anything about the singer but she has a rich voice like Karen’s. I don’t know what she’s singing other than someone in the comments typed out the English translation. I can’t get the melody out of my head and I keep humming it. It has over 7 million views.

For me, a good example of how music is a universal language that transcends all nationalities.
Doing a little Discogs detective-work, it appears that song is from her 2007 CD and is probably track #5:

Coven (MGM version) that went to # 73 (Hot 100) in January of 1974 BUT recorded in late 1971.

Actually the MGM version went to # 79 in June of 1973. My mistake. The Warner Bros. reissue of the late 1971 song went to # 73 in January of 1974.

I've latched onto bunches of songs in other languages that I haven't a clue about what's being sung. It doesn't matter - for me it's the sound of the song and the way it's performed. It can grab me in any language.
I found this video, from a Russian group named "Serebro". The song, "Opium", has a Corrs "In Blue" era vibe to it:

There's so much good music out there, from all over the world, just waiting for us to discover it!

Doing a little Discogs detective-work, it appears that song is from her 2007 CD and is probably track #5:

I ended up finding the song on iTunes and bought it. I agree with you, it’s like I don’t know what’s she singing but I can be humming along and almost feel what the words could be. It’s strange like that huh? Sometimes lyrics are not needed to appreciate why you like a song so much, other factors come into play, vocals, key changes, bass, drums, guitars.

I had a similar experience, many years ago I was dining in an Italian restaurant and I heard this song playing over there sound system. I couldn’t make out any of the words but I said to myself I love this song. By the time I got enough nerve to ask someone the song ended. That moment still haunts me that I didn’t ask. Rarely does a song I’ve never heard grab at my heartstrings.

Last edited:
I am a fan of Dionne Warwick (one of Karen's close friends), who in my opinion had even more talent than her cousin Whitney Houston. My second favorite female singer (behind Karen, of course) might be Carly Simon. I also like Dolly Parton and her country style of music. She not only has a good voice, but is also a great songwriter.

Oh, and Siedah Garrett too, mainly because of "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," which is my favorite Michael Jackson song.

Still, none of them can touch Karen's talent. :D

The female trio Rock Flowers debut album from 1971. Former singer & actress Debra Clinger was also in Kaptain Kool & The Kongs on Sid & Marty Krofft's "The Krofft Supershow" (1976 - 1977) & made an album for Epic Records in 1978 & also in the 1980 movie "Midnight Madness" which also starred Michael J. Fox in his debut role. The song "Number Wonderful" went to # 95 (Hot 100) in February of 1972 & their only charted single. (all 11 songs) Also found on Apple iTunes.

By the way, the first song from Rock Flowers is almost similar to the late Mama Cass Elliott 1969 song "Make Your Own Kind Of Music".

Also Rock Flowers had 9 more songs that came with the Mattell Dolls that were released as singles including the song "Put A Little Love Away" (also done by The Four Tops as well as Sergio Mendes & Brazil '77 also in 1972). Those bonus songs are NOT on Apple iTunes.

Andrea Corr, TheChristmas Album, is being released on 12/2/2022. A must buy for me, and a few others on here I’m sure. On a different note Humble Pie A&M Rarities 1970-1975 the same day.

It will include the four songs from her prior EP. The song "Begin Again" was exceptional, IMHO.

1665772792277.png
The EP years ago was very hard to obtain.
I see her new full album is available on iTunes $9.99 (pre-order) and Amazon as a digital download only for pre-order.
(at least it’s available this time)

I also see that Amazon UK is offering the physical CD and vinyl and they are shipping to the US.
This is great news for those that want a physical CD.
They are offering the CD 2 ways, one signed by Andrea and one without, interesting that they are the same price.

For the US, it works out to be $11.16 for the CD and $12.34 for s/h total $23.50 (you pick signed or not signed by her)
That is not a bad deal $23.50 if my calculations are correct?

Oh and I also noticed the cover has been tweaked, the new album has mountains in the background and new font red lettering.

Been listening to some Jo Stafford again today. Discovered and started to explore her music from ca. 1993 and was very happy to have been sent personalized signed photos by Jo and her amazing arranging/orchestrating husband Paul Weston. 🤩 Love Jo's husky kind of dark voice. Especially love her jazzy timing and the way she can bend those notes at times <3 And Karen even referred to her before singing "Jambalaya" in concert :)

Here's a bluesy ballady one:

And for a bit more of an up-tempo one... I also have fun version on a 78 by two Crosby men, Bing and his son Gary.
But this one is by Jo and vocal group The Starlighters:

(Secretly still hoping to one day hear the Carpenter Family's version of it 😍)

Greg

Here a couple of songs by 2 European ladies with nice soft voices:

The first lady is Slovak songstress Eva Kostolániyová. To be honest, I don't really know her (sadly she only lived to be 32), but the tune (from 1973) seems to ring a bell 😉

And then there's Italy's Gina Lollobrigida, whom I actually only knew as an actress, with yet another tune (from 1971) that sounds familiar 😉😉

There is also a filmed version of it (but the sound gets out of sync)

In the Sid & Marty Krofft's "The Bugaloos" late 1970 episode "The Love Bugaloos", Sparky the firefly (played by the late Billy Barty) has a crush on the other female puppet Gina Lottawattage!! (laughs)

Announced today, Nov 26, 2022, "Flashdance" and "Fame" singer Irene Cara dies at 63 years of age. So young... :sad: I just remember "Flashdance" came out just only a month or so after Karen passed. (Of course, Karen Ramone had a track on the album as well) I gotta go listen to Flashdance... What a Feeling a couple of times now.

RIP Christine McVie, of Fleetwood Mac, who passed away at 79 years of age today Nov 30, 2022, after a short illness. Her family announced it on Facebook. Strange I was just listening to ”Say You Love Me” a couple of days ago for the first time in eons (like how I am with all things Carpenters). 2022 is closing out so sad.

Back
Top Bottom