Other Female Singers

I'm listening to her ethereal "Songbird" now. There's no comparison. I know that all our lives must end at some point, but Christine McVie was my favorite of the various Fleetwood Mac incarnations. She was just so genuine and down to earth. And now she has passed on. A huge talent. I'm glad we could appreciate her talents for the time she was given. I wish she had been given more time. Not for us, but for those who loved her. Same as with Karen.

Last edited:
Been listening to some Jo Stafford again today. Discovered and started to explore her music from ca. 1993...

Greg
I've been a big fan since maybe 1953...right after hearing "You Belong to Me" on the radio - still listen to her albums now and then. I would like to think that the young Karen listened to her often in their basement while growing up and absorbed some of her style: the simple, easy delivery; the clear enunciation; the high respect for the lyricist's work and the artful expression of the song's emotional content...i.e., all of the elements of a master vocalist.

I am sad about Christine McVie. But her music will live on forever, and if you ever go anywhere with me you'll likely hear her voice at some point on my stereo. She's my favorite female singer (basically a tie with Lani Hall, although I must say that Lani has done more music that I "don't like" than Christine did).

In the '90s, a group of friends and I drove from here to Fargo, North Dakota to see Fleetwood Mac. The show was really good, and at the end Christine came out to do "Songbird" as an encore, which was by now pretty much customary. She said "We've heard that a lot of people came a long way to be here tonight, so I'd like to do this one especially for you." It felt like she was singing it just for our little group. It was one of my favorite concert moments.

The real sad thing about Christine is all the songs she did before Fleetwood Mac hit the big time that will never see an audience. Great stuff like "Remember Me," "Just Crazy Love," "Why," "Morning Rain," "Show Me a Smile," "Prove Your Love," "Spare Me a Little," "Heroes are Hard to Find," and others.

She also did a lot of great songs in Mac's post heyday, like "Love Shines," "Behind the Mask," "Nights in Estoril," and my most recent favorite, a tune called "Carnival Begin," the song that closed out her last album (with Lindsey Buckingham).

To me Christine was the Karen Carpenter of female rock singers; a totally unique voice (on top of being an amazing songwriter) who will never be duplicated.

I don’t know anything about this artist but this song played during a Christmas Movie I watched recently on the Hallmark Channel, called The Christmas Ornament from 2013. I searched but this artist never made an official video. (there’s a video out there but it’s not the artist)

Carly Rae Jepsen
Mittens

I am sad about Christine McVie. But her music will live on forever, and if you ever go anywhere with me you'll likely hear her voice at some point on my stereo. She's my favorite female singer (basically a tie with Lani Hall, although I must say that Lani has done more music that I "don't like" than Christine did).

In the '90s, a group of friends and I drove from here to Fargo, North Dakota to see Fleetwood Mac. The show was really good, and at the end Christine came out to do "Songbird" as an encore, which was by now pretty much customary. She said "We've heard that a lot of people came a long way to be here tonight, so I'd like to do this one especially for you." It felt like she was singing it just for our little group. It was one of my favorite concert moments.

The real sad thing about Christine is all the songs she did before Fleetwood Mac hit the big time that will never see an audience. Great stuff like "Remember Me," "Just Crazy Love," "Why," "Morning Rain," "Show Me a Smile," "Prove Your Love," "Spare Me a Little," "Heroes are Hard to Find," and others.

She also did a lot of great songs in Mac's post heyday, like "Love Shines," "Behind the Mask," "Nights in Estoril," and my most recent favorite, a tune called "Carnival Begin," the song that closed out her last album (with Lindsey Buckingham).

To me Christine was the Karen Carpenter of female rock singers; a totally unique voice (on top of being an amazing songwriter) who will never be duplicated.
Mike B., decades ago one of my cousins had all the pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac albums, so I listened to them. You're right, there are so many great, little-known songs on those albums. I'm tempted to buy them now, in appreciation of Christine McVie.

Her music had such an earthy warmth. Always relatable, never pretentious, yet brilliantly written. I love her soulful voice and bluesy piano playing. She really grounded the band. When she left for a while, I missed her. Say You Will was a brilliant album, really Buckingham Nicks Redux. But, without Christine McVie's songs unifying the two extremes of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, the album lacked coherence. I was so happy when she rejoined the band. I don't think there were any new Fleetwood Mac studio albums, though she did record an album with Lindsey Buckingham that, as I recall, paved the way for her re-entry into Fleetwood Mac.

Such a sad loss for her family, friends, bandmates and all who knew and loved her. At least we will always have her music.

I don’t know anything about this artist but this song played during a Christmas Movie I watched recently on the Hallmark Channel, called The Christmas Ornament from 2013. I searched but this artist never made an official video. (there’s a video out there but it’s not the artist)

Carly Rae Jepsen
Mittens
Carly Rae Jepsen had a huge hit with "Call Me, Maybe".

This lady, Weyes Blood, is getting some huge Karen comparisons online right now - very nice mellow tone - though has more of a husky Rita Coolidge vibe to my ears ...

This lady, Weyes Blood, is getting some huge Karen comparisons online right now - very nice mellow tone - though has more of a husky Rita Coolidge vibe to my ears ...
I hear Joni Mitchell in her. She’s kind of like Rumer in not liking comparisons with Karen. A recent quote about being compared to Karen went, “I found the idea embarrassing but I did go back and watch videos of Karen playing the drums and singing. She was amazing, just not very cool to me!” For PR purposes, she should’ve stopped at “amazing”…..

... She’s kind of like Rumer in not liking comparisons with Karen. A recent quote about being compared to Karen went, “I found the idea embarrassing but I did go back and watch videos of Karen playing the drums and singing. She was amazing, just not very cool to me!” For PR purposes, she should’ve stopped at “amazing”…..
"...not very cool to me..." Translation: didn't drink to excess, didn't smoke, didn't do drugs, didn't whore around, didn't have dozens of body piercings in a lot of personal places, didn't have gross, vulgar tattoos all over her body, didn't rant about left wing liberal causes, didn't believe in more than two genders, didn't have any idea what LGBTQ+ stood for, etc. In other words: if you can't match them artistically, crush them personally...

Last edited:
I know, I saw those comments too. There is nothing more tedious than an artist with a predictable, reductive sense of 'cool' - can you imagine being upset with a Karen Carpenter comparison? Basic, to say the least.

I know, I saw those comments too. There is nothing more tedious than an artist with a predictable, reductive sense of 'cool' - can you imagine being upset with a Karen Carpenter comparison? Basic, to say the least.
The comparison was all about her vocal range and a little about her vocal tone - I sure as hell hope that Rumer wasn't under the serious delusion that anyone would be intellectually or artistically challenged enough to actually attempt to compare her talent level to Karen's - now that would definitely be embarrassing for her - imagine having to try to live up to that impossible standard and having to explain why she just couldn't meet it...

I love those early '70s F.M. recordings! Got 4 LPs, 1 for each year (Kiln House through Penguin) plus the 45 Hypnotized/For Your Love. In recent years, I played these more often than the post-1974 ones. Still need to explore the post-1987 albums as well some time.

Besides her pretty solo vocals, Christine's voice blended so well with both Buckingham/Nicks and Kirwan/Welch.

As happy as I was finally getting to see the band live in concert in 2013, I would really love to have seen them with Christine, oh well....
Great to know that there are still many of the band's early '70s concerts online to be listened to. Even rehearsals where Christine sang some of Stevie's songs :) These, among others, sure helped me through the lockdowns during the pandemic.

She'll be greatly missed...

Greg

I've been a big fan since maybe 1953...right after hearing "You Belong to Me" on the radio - still listen to her albums now and then. I would like to think that the young Karen listened to her often in their basement while growing up and absorbed some of her style: the simple, easy delivery; the clear enunciation; the high respect for the lyricist's work and the artful expression of the song's emotional content...i.e., all of the elements of a master vocalist.
I would like to think the same thing about young Karen, John :)

She even mentioned Jo in concert (15:44) :

The Andrea Corr Christmas Album

It will include the four songs from her prior EP. The song "Begin Again" was exceptional, IMHO.

1665772792277.png

The EP years ago was very hard to obtain.
I see her new full album is available on iTunes $9.99 (pre-order) and Amazon as a digital download only for pre-order.
(at least it’s available this time)

I also see that Amazon UK is offering the physical CD and vinyl and they are shipping to the US.
This is great news for those that want a physical CD.
They are offering the CD 2 ways, one signed by Andrea and one without, interesting that they are the same price.

For the US, it works out to be $11.16 for the CD and $12.34 for s/h total $23.50 (you pick signed or not signed by her)
That is not a bad deal $23.50 if my calculations are correct?

Oh and I also noticed the cover has been tweaked, the new album has mountains in the background and new font red lettering.
My autographed copy arrived today. At first, I opened the cardboard mailer and saw only a shrink-wrapped CD. There was no autograph on the outer cover at all. How would she autograph a shrink-wrapped CD I pondered as I tore open the cellophane.

Nothing inside the gatefold. Nothing on the CD face. Ah, here it is! A special card insert held with the booklet, just like in the picture above!

Last edited:
Doris Day started her singing career as a Big Band singer in the 40s and had some hit singles in the 50s before gaining popularity in romantic comedy movies - her voice was always soft and sweet and listenable and had a warm, appealing quality - this is her take on this lovely Christmas song that I've enjoyed for years, but have never heard anyone else sing - would love to have heard Karen's version though...

I hear Joni Mitchell in her. She’s kind of like Rumer in not liking comparisons with Karen. A recent quote about being compared to Karen went, “I found the idea embarrassing but I did go back and watch videos of Karen playing the drums and singing. She was amazing, just not very cool to me!” For PR purposes, she should’ve stopped at “amazing”…..
"...not very cool to me..." Translation: didn't drink to excess, didn't smoke, didn't do drugs, didn't whore around, didn't have dozens of body piercings in a lot of personal places, didn't have gross, vulgar tattoos all over her body, didn't rant about left wing liberal causes, didn't believe in more than two genders, didn't have any idea what LGBTQ+ stood for, etc. In other words: if you can't match them artistically, crush them personally...
The comparison was all about her vocal range and a little about her vocal tone - I sure as hell hope that Rumer wasn't under the serious delusion that anyone would be intellectually or artistically challenged enough to actually attempt to compare her talent level to Karen's - now that would definitely be embarrassing for her - imagine having to try to live up to that impossible standard and having to explain why she just couldn't meet it...

Sorry guys, I saw this thread last week, decided to say nothing, but it niggled me so I'm commenting.

First of all, I've read and seen quite a few interviews with Rumer, and she's always seemed flattered and respectful about comparisons with Karen. Her song 'Thankful' is about the things that make her glad to be alive, one of which is the radio's playing 'Superstar.' I'm not sure what 1969 has seen or read, though I'm prepared to believe that Rumer's tried to shut down that comparison in something I haven't seen. However, Rumer's been a well-known singer (at least in the UK) for about 12 years now and I can imagine that after all this time she's getting a bit sick of being 'the girl who sounds like Karen Carpenter'. Wouldn't you be? I don't think that's necessarily true anyway. She's a female singer who sings easy listening songs and has a 'basement' in her range but, as John FB has unflatteringly pointed out, there are as many differences as similarities, so it's a lazy comparison anyway.

The 'not very cool to me' quotation comes from Weyes Blood, not Rumer, and I agree it's bratty, reductive, and disrespectful, but I also found that to be true of your 'translation,' John. You're entitled to your opinion, but other people may feel differently, and some of these things you regard as negative may be positives for others in the forum. In addition, some members may be smokers, or trying to work through alcohol or drug dependency, and this comment may make them feel excluded. We might not agree with others' choices, but none of us are so perfect we can 'cast the first stone.'

Remember this forum is for fans of Carpenters rather than for people who are exactly like us. Lets keep it that way. If we want to discuss what we regard as bad habits, addiction, body modification, party politics or sexual politics, I'm sure there are many other places we can do it.

Sorry guys, I saw this thread last week, decided to say nothing, but it niggled me so I'm commenting.

The 'not very cool to me' quotation comes from Weyes Blood, not Rumer, and I agree it's bratty, reductive, and disrespectful, but I also found that to be true of your 'translation,' John. You're entitled to your opinion, but other people may feel differently, and some of these things you regard as negative may be positives for others in the forum. In addition, some members may be smokers, or trying to work through alcohol or drug dependency, and this comment may make them feel excluded. We might not agree with others' choices, but none of us are so perfect we can 'cast the first stone.'
Tom - my "translation" was educated speculation about the very likely reasons some (many?) musical artists (and others) today might not find Karen personally "cool" - these were exactly some of the same reasons some artists and critics and music lovers in her own time didn't find her cool half a century ago - she was just too "clean cut and goody two shoes" - these appear to be some of the traits or characteristics that some artists and many others actually do find to be cool and practice, now and then, and would thus, logically criticize her personally for not having engaged in or practiced - this is simply the way it was and is in the real world - I did not intend to express an opinion or pass judgement on any of them...

Lately I have been hearing Jackie DeShannon on the radio. I have a cd with many songs from her years with Imperial Records and earlier recordings.
She never got the recognition that she truly deserved.

Canadian singer songwriter Shirley Eikhard has died at 67 years old. She wrote "It Takes Time" for Anne Murray in 1971, "Something To Talk About" for Bonnie Raitt in 1991 & also did the remake of the Fleetwood Mac 1975 song "Say You Love Me" in 1976. Shirley Eikhard - Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom