Other Female Singers

ABBA's Frida "You Know What I Mean" (from late 1982 "Something Goin' On") Remake of the Phil Collins 1981 song. (performance video)

ABBA Manager Stig Andersson tried to get a Benny/Bjorn song on that album and they did record a demo in 1982 but ultimately Frida wanted this to be her own project, without any influence from the group. Neither this nor Agnetha’s solo albums made any huge impact on any charts outside of Sweden (though they did reach the top 20 in the UK) but the lead single from Frida’s 1982 album did reach #16 on the top 100 in the US. Stig had declared at the album launch - in front of the rest of the group and various record company associates and friends - that the album didn’t contain a single hit. So she must have felt somewhat vindicated when that turned out not to be the case.

So many of us have remarked, over the years, about the "chill factor" that we experience when listening to Karen sing. I'm not certain what it is exactly, perhaps certain frequencies stimulate our nervous systems, or certain lyrics cause an emotional response? Of all the Carpenters recordings, I get the biggest "chills" from "You're the One". This phenomena of experiencing chills is, for me anyway, not only limited to the Carpenters catalogue. Some other songs that have that "chill factor" for me, include Melissa Manchester's recording of " Through The Eyes of Love (Theme from Ice Castles)", Celine Dion's "The Colour of My Love", Agnetha Faltskog's "Maybe It Was Magic", and this song from German singer Vanessa Mai, "In all deinen Farben" ...

What songs by female singers, other than Karen Carpenter, give you "chills"?

I haven’t got chills from a song for many, many years, as far as I remember. Maybe I’m jaded.

A recording I remember getting major chills from first time I heard it in 1975 and for many decades after, every time I heard it, was Carpenters’ Solitaire’.

ABBA's Frida "You Know What I Mean" (from late 1982 "Something Goin' On") Remake of the Phil Collins 1981 song. (performance video)

Was listening to Frida’s ‘Something Going On’ album only last week.

The album version of the above is a fine performance.

Last edited:
ABBA Manager Stig Andersson tried to get a Benny/Bjorn song on that album and they did record a demo in 1982 but ultimately Frida wanted this to be her own project, without any influence from the group. Neither this nor Agnetha’s solo albums made any huge impact on any charts outside of Sweden (though they did reach the top 20 in the UK) but the lead single from Frida’s 1982 album did reach #16 on the top 100 in the US. Stig had declared at the album launch - in front of the rest of the group and various record company associates and friends - that the album didn’t contain a single hit. So she must have felt somewhat vindicated when that turned out not to be the case.
This was a strong album that could have been a lot more successful.

One thing that might have complicated things was that New Wave and New Romantic were the latest thing and this album was at odds with those trends.

Another thing was that ABBA were viewed as tired, washed up and boring, by this time.

However, Frida, with the help of Phil Collins, etc., then delivered this fresh, upbeat, energetic, exciting album. Frida handled the rock edge of the album convincingly.

I think that a number of ABBA’s public found it hard to transition from the idea of a foursome to solo projects.

Love those Patti Austin songs. She's such a great talent and it seems she never quite gets the credit or attention she deserves in the world of female vocalists. Such a smooth, yet powerful voice.

Here's another favorite. As you all said, I too wish that Karen would've had the opportunity to go further into the smooth jazz type songs.

‘Every Night’ by Phoebe Snow was a hit in my territory in 1978. I was one who rushed out and bought it. I hadn’t heard Phoebe Snow before ‘Every Night’ took up high rotation on the radio, as far as I remember.

From there, I bought Phoebe’s singles, ‘Games’ and ‘Mercy, Mercy, Mercy’ as soon as they came out and eventually got to own all of her albums.

Of course, Phoebe has a connection to Carpenters, having had the same producer as Karen, for the Karen Carpenter album, (and having met / known Karen).

Another single that Phoebe Snow released around the same time as ‘Every Night’ was Patti Austin’s song, ‘In My Life’. I loved Phoebe Snow’s ‘In My Life’ and was surprised that it didn’t make any impressions on the charts at all, especially given that ‘Every Night’ had been a hit.

One reason might have been that a great Australian singer, Doug Parkinson, released ‘in My Life’ on single at the same time as Phoebe. Doug had just had a hit with a remake of The Spinners’ song, ‘I’ll Be Around’.

However, unfathomably, Doug’s version wasn’t a hit, either.

I think that, by rights, both Phoebe Snow’s and Doug Parkinson’s versions of ‘In My Life’ should have been hits, back in 1978. At any rate, they are both enjoyable versions.

Last edited:
‘Every Night’ by Phoebe Snow was a hit in my territory in 1978. I was one who rushed out and bought it. I hadn’t heard Phoebe Snow before ‘Every Night’ took up high rotation on the radio, as far as I remember.

From there, I bought Phoebe’s singles, ‘Games’ and ‘Mercy, Mercy, Mercy’ as soon as they came out and eventually got to own all of her albums.

Of course, Phoebe has a connection to Carpenters, having had the same producer as Karen, for the Karen Carpenter album, (and having met / known Karen).

Another single that Phoebe Snow released around the same time as ‘Every Night’ was Patti Austin’s song, ‘In My Life’. I loved Phoebe Snow’s ‘In My Life’ and was surprised that it didn’t make any impressions on the charts at all, especially given that ‘Every Night’ had been a hit.

One reason might have been that a great Australian singer, Doug Parkinson, released ‘in My Life’ on single at the same time as Phoebe. Doug had just had a hit with a remake of The Spinners’ song, ‘I’ll Be Around’.

However, unfathomably, Doug’s version wasn’t a hit, either.

I think that, by rights, both Phoebe Snow’s and Doug Parkinson’s versions of ‘In My Life’ should have been hits, back in 1978. At any rate, they are both enjoyable versions.

This is the album version, btw, not the single edit.

So many of us have remarked, over the years, about the "chill factor" that we experience when listening to Karen sing. I'm not certain what it is exactly, perhaps certain frequencies stimulate our nervous systems, or certain lyrics cause an emotional response? Of all the Carpenters recordings, I get the biggest "chills" from "You're the One". This phenomena of experiencing chills is, for me anyway, not only limited to the Carpenters catalogue. Some other songs that have that "chill factor" for me, include Melissa Manchester's recording of " Through The Eyes of Love (Theme from Ice Castles)", Celine Dion's "The Colour of My Love", Agnetha Faltskog's "Maybe It Was Magic", and this song from German singer Vanessa Mai, "In all deinen Farben" ...

What songs by female singers, other than Karen Carpenter, give you "chills"?
YOU'RE THE ONE is the one - absolutely a "chill factor" song, one of her very best vocals - others are A SONG FOR YOU, RAINY DAYS & MONDAYS, FOR ALL WE KNOW and the gorgeous but underrated ONE MORE TIME. But, nothing stops me in my tracks and generates chills like the verses of WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE? where she sings extended lines of those awesomely resonant low notes that were unique and iconic with her, especially the 2nd half of the 2nd verse which goes:

And I need you now
I need to feel you in the night
I need your smile so warm and bright
I wish my mind could let you go.

Other chill inducing songs/artists are Marilyn McCoo's IF I COULD REACH YOU and Melissa Manchester's COME IN FROM THE RAIN...

And this haunting song from the awesomely talented Alison Krauss:

Has anyone posted anything by Elkie Brooks before?

Elkie recorded with A&M for a while. Here's her version of 'Superstar', which was released on her A&M album, 'Pearls', and on a single, in 1981.

'Pearls' contained remakes of tracks which Elkie felt were influential, as the title of the album suggests.

I only know Elkie Brooks from this 1969 duet recording (as Elki, Owen and the Rim Ram Band) on a reel-to-reel mixtape in my parents' music collection:

Btw, the lady on the picture sleeve is not Elkie Brooks, but a model.

I had heard this version of "Groovy kind of love " since I was a little kid in the 1970s, so when Phil Collins released his version in the late 1980s, it sounded like a completely different song to me. So quiet and melancholy, but it did fit the music video in which he got nostalgic watching scenes from the "Buster" movie from a 35mm film projector... 📽️

Canadian singer Sarah Slean (duet with Jim Cuddy, lead singer of Canadian group Blue Rodeo) "If You Could Read My Mind". Remake of the late Gordon Lightfoot 1971 song from the Juno Awards on March 27, 2011.

Enya is pretty good. I like the atmospheric feel of her music and I’ve found it’s also good to listen to in bed. Not sure if anyone has mentioned her yet, I haven’t looked through all 61 pages of this thread. Enya’s song “Only Time” appears a lot in pop culture today and the full song is very nice to listen to. “Caribbean Blue” is another good one.

Enya is pretty good. I like the atmospheric feel of her music and I’ve found it’s also good to listen to in bed. Not sure if anyone has mentioned her yet, I haven’t looked through all 61 pages of this thread. Enya’s song “Only Time” appears a lot in pop culture today and the full song is very nice to listen to. “Caribbean Blue” is another good one.

‘Orinoco Flow’ was the one I remember from my teenage years, your post reminded me of that song and I’ve not heard it in years.

I always loved Kiki Dee, who was the female vocalist on Elton John’s “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart”. Elton signed her to his label for the album that spawned this hit single in the UK, which was also the theme tune to the popular TV talent show New Faces. I always thought she was an underrated talent.

I pretty much have every album and or cd she’s recorded. Love her music from the Rocket Records years on. Amorouse is my favorite song by her.
She was married to Davey Johnstone, Elton John’s lead guitar player, for a few years.

This is the album version, btw, not the single edit.

Phoebe Snows "If I Can Just Get Through The Night" is a stunning vocal of an addict which begins with a whisper and throughout the song gets stronger and stronger as she tries to convince herself otherwise. It's like potato chips for me. I cannot play it only once.

Phoebe Snows "If I Can Just Get Through The Night" is a stunning vocal of an addict which begins with a whisper and throughout the song gets stronger and stronger as she tries to convince herself otherwise. It's like potato chips for me. I cannot play it only once.
Yes, I love that song too, goodjeans! That’s from ‘Something Real’, isn’t it? There are so many good songs on that album, including the title track. In fact, every track is really good. Maybe I don’t like her remake of The Emotions’ ‘Best Of My Love’ as much as the other tracks….. but it’s still fairly good. ‘Mr. Wondering’ is excellent, along with several others.

I'd maybe go with Olivia Newton-John, Joan Baez, Agnetha Fälkstog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad (ABBA).
Gotta listen to more female voices!

The Karen Wyman self-titled album from 1973 on Columbia is out on Apple iTunes. The remake of Ruby & The Romantics 1969 "Hurting Each Other" (later done by The Carpenters in early 1972).

Also Kristy & Jimmy McNichol 1978 RCA Victor album is finally out on Apple iTunes. (all 10 songs)

Ah it’s on Spotify as well, finally! Thank you for the heads up. There isn’t much in it between their version of ‘Slow Dance’ and Richard’s arrangement, but for some reason I find their version more appealing. Maybe it’s because it sounds better sung by a “young” voice. Nice sax solo too.

Happy to hear that the Karen Wyman LP has been released on digital.

I've had her 3 albums from when they were released. This album is pretty good. But my favorite is the second one titled "One/Together." Her singing is phenomenal on this. All the songs are amazing, but her versions of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" and "The Long and Winding Road" are simply exquisite. Best I've ever heard. This is one of my favorite albums indeed! But then so are "One/Together" and "After You've Gone" And even "Close to You!" Don't know why this girl wasn't a major star! She is a power singer. They say when Dean Martin had her on his show that he told her she was "One hell of a singer!"

I probably don't need to buy the digital. I created my own from the LPs and I took care of records, so what I have sounds really good. But I'm sure I will pick it up anyway.

I also have the Jimmy and Kristy McNichol LP. But I've never transferred it. Might pick it up too.

Back
Top Bottom