Other Female Singers

Donna Lewis "I Could Be The One" (from 1998 "Blue Planet") & her last big song until fading in the spotlight. (music video): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Hello Matt from MI.
Hello all on forum. I am new here. Loved the Carpenters since they arrived. Only last two years really started to carefully listen and collect the original mint as possible L.P. vinyl. My Hi-Fi equipment is top shelve. Let's try a new experiment. Compare singers song for song.. Karen compared to other female cover songs.
Found some million YouTube hits.
Shane Ericks, YOU, Wont Last A DAY Without You. Sinead O'Connor, Don't Cry For Me Argentina. Please listen and love to here comments.. I am bias so I don't count.
Look forward to meeting many of you at the A&M 50th anniversary.

Forgive me, but I am in a mellow mood tonight and somehow keyed on The Look Of Love. A song made for a strong female lead with great lyrics (thank you Hal David). I believe Janis Hansen owns the definitive version. But Dusty also, a great version. My favorite live version is from Diana Krall (she is not bad to look at either):

And of course, how would our beloved KC done with this?

Forgive me, but I am in a mellow mood tonight and somehow keyed on The Look Of Love. A song made for a strong female lead with great lyrics (thank you Hal David). I believe Janis Hansen owns the definitive version. But Dusty also, a great version. My favorite live version is from Diana Krall (she is not bad to look at either):

And of course, how would our beloved KC done with this?

I listen to Diana Krall a lot, she`s great! if you can get hold of a copy on dvd, try and get to watch her `live in paris`, it`s a fantastic 2 hour concert :)

Also a big Olivia fan. Nice to see there are a few of us! This is kind of an odd performance, unreleased in the USA to this day in audio, but a beautiful song. We all know her popular stuff, so something unexpected. And this clip is of descent quality......... Enjoy! :)[

Instantly, I am reminded of Helen Reddy's song, "Emotion." And I learned that both songs are written by the same people: V. Sanson and P. Dahlstrom.

Last edited:
Those two are the same song with different lyrics, and neither was written by any of the Gibb Brothers. There was however another song by the Gibbs called "Emotion" that was performed by Samantha Sang.

Amoureuse - Wikipedia

Shania Twain, Patsy Cline, Mary Ford, Fiona Apple, Toni Braxton, Rosemary Clooney, Chrissie Hynde, Etta James, Lady Gaga, etc., etc. Nothing like an alto voice.

Also a big Olivia fan. Nice to see there are a few of us! This is kind of an odd performance, unreleased in the USA to this day in audio, but a beautiful song. We all know her popular stuff, so something unexpected. And this clip is of descent quality......... Enjoy! :)

Nice clip, thanks for posting. Do you happen to know when this show was broadcast? Was this before she really hit it big?

Nice clip, thanks for posting. Do you happen to know when this show was broadcast? Was this before she really hit it big?

According to the person who posted this, The Merv Griffin Show, aired on June 13, 1974. The look is 1974, so I would agree. She had the top ten hits, "Let Me Be There, and If You Love Me Let Me Know" and the next single was "I Honestly Love You." She had hit it big in the USA already, but yet she sang this song that was not even released in 1974 (USA). I find that unusual.

Although this isn't a female singer as per thread title, I had to give this album a shout.
as most of us find with cd`s we buy throughout our lives, it`s normally pretty rare to buy one and like every single track that`s on there. I`ve only got about half a dozen cd`s where I like every single track, so was pleasantly surprised when I bought this one and enjoyed it the same.
Michael Buble`s new album `LOVE` is simply fantastic and a joy to listen to :)

I really enjoyed this track in particular, but are all equally as good;

A few years ago, within this thread, I was offering my praise of Lady Gaga. I received some blowback. Imagine that...
I enjoyed her dance songs, and I admired her for her talent as well as her generous work on, and dedication to, social causes. Then she had a series of performances that showed the world what a great singer she is: tribute to Julie Andrews on 2015 Oscars, 2016 Super Bowl performance of the National Anthem, 2017 Super Bowl halftime show (some, myself included, call it the best one ever), and, now, her singing as well as acting in A Star Is Born. She has received great reviews and is considered a shoe-in for an Oscar nomination.

So, yeah, I feel vindicated. [mic drop] People can still disagree with me (and probably will), but there is much evidence to back up my initial claims... We're all entitled to our opinions, of course, and much of what we enjoy is subjective. But I am personally excited and gratified to see Lady Gaga continue to gain accolades and continue to soar...

A few years ago, within this thread, I was offering my praise of Lady Gaga. I received some blowback. Imagine that...
I enjoyed her dance songs, and I admired her for her talent as well as her generous work on, and dedication to, social causes. Then she had a series of performances that showed the world what a great singer she is: tribute to Julie Andrews on 2015 Oscars, 2016 Super Bowl performance of the National Anthem, 2017 Super Bowl halftime show (some, myself included, call it the best one ever), and, now, her singing as well as acting in A Star Is Born. She has received great reviews and is considered a shoe-in for an Oscar nomination.

So, yeah, I feel vindicated. [mic drop] People can still disagree with me (and probably will), but there is much evidence to back up my initial claims... We're all entitled to our opinions, of course, and much of what we enjoy is subjective. But I am personally excited and gratified to see Lady Gaga continue to gain accolades and continue to soar...
Well said. Lady Gaga has indeed shown herself to be far more than just another pop/dance artist. I've enjoyed seeing her do the different things she has in the past few years.

Also a big Olivia fan. Nice to see there are a few of us! This is kind of an odd performance, unreleased in the USA to this day in audio, but a beautiful song. We all know her popular stuff, so something unexpected. And this clip is of descent quality......... Enjoy! :)

I LOVE that song and it's a live version from Olivia. Her airy vocals are breathtaking. :love:

See she really does want to hold me!!:love:
Wow at 2:19 I got goosebumps, not on the original studio version.

and, now, her singing as well as acting in A Star Is Born. She has received great reviews and is considered a shoe-in for an Oscar nomination.

A STAR IS BORN is superb and lady gaga was a class act, both as a singer and an actress!
Before i went to see this, i got hold of the Streisand version to get an idea about the film and i enjoyed that one as much, but i have to say, Bradley Coopers reduced me to tears the most!
Amazing film & story :)

A STAR IS BORN is superb and lady gaga was a class act, both as a singer and an actress!
Before i went to see this, i got hold of the Streisand version to get an idea about the film and i enjoyed that one as much, but i have to say, Bradley Coopers reduced me to tears the most!
Amazing film & story :)
What an amazing film. It left me weak at the end. So much better than the Streisand/Kristofferson version. Bradley Cooper couldn't have done better for his first film.

Another female voice I've picked up on recently (I'm only 18 so it's all before my time... But it's all so much better!) is Connie Francis. I was watching this video below celebrating Hal Blaine by playing selections of the many songs he has played on.

Anyway this voice came thought and I was like "wow!" Who is this? I put my phone to the speaker and Google told me it was Connie Francis "Where The Boys Are". I listened to that and a few others like "Stupid Cupid", "Who's Sorry Now?" and "Tennessee Waltz" just love her voice. I'm building up quite a collection of female singers now: Karen Carpenter, Nancy Sinatra, Agnetha & Frida (ABBA) Dusty Springfield, Connie Francis, Olivia Newton-John, Dionne Warwick, Adele...

I really love this holiday song and I sometimes wonder how Karen Carpenter would have sounded singing these lyrics. I am really drawn to songs with simple messages and heartfelt lyrics. I like the lyrics, "you could come over"...It's not too late"..."don't worry about presents"...."I've saved you a place"....every body needs a place to belong"..."if you feel lonely, I feel it too"

Melancholy Christmas

It does m
Another female voice I've picked up on recently (I'm only 18 so it's all before my time... But it's all so much better!) is Connie Francis. I was watching this video below celebrating Hal Blaine by playing selections of the many songs he has played on.

Anyway this voice came thought and I was like "wow!" Who is this? I put my phone to the speaker and Google told me it was Connie Francis "Where The Boys Are". I listened to that and a few others like "Stupid Cupid", "Who's Sorry Now?" and "Tennessee Waltz" just love her voice. I'm building up quite a collection of female singers now: Karen Carpenter, Nancy Sinatra, Agnetha & Frida (ABBA) Dusty Springfield, Connie Francis, Olivia Newton-John, Dionne Warwick, Adele...

Good stuff. I'm not quite as young as you but not as old as some other members here. Going on 41 in February. I had boomer parents, though, who turned me on to the oldies, doo wop and some big band stuff. Karen and Richard were a given though because they were hometown heroes. I was spinning an LP of Now and Then as early as 8 years old, one that was given to me as a birthday gift from a cousin who lived in Downey.

Back
Top Bottom