Other Female Singers

I am in wonder though on national television would an artist not promote her latest hit or upcoming single? That song as recorded in 1974 has never even been released in the States.
Your right, Merv was always very personable and would often ask artists so where can we find that song? Olivia- well it’s not in the US now. Huh? Lol
It was an odd choice but she sings it sooo good.

Man oh man, I was surfing YouTube today and came across someone I had totally forgotten about. Kasey Cisyk. One of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard, and also gone way too soon, at the young age of 44.

Liv Maessen is an Australian singer who began her first major recording contract the same year as Carpenters, (1969). Her voice was nothing like Karen’s, but, like Karen, she did have an attention-grabbing lower register. Her introductory verse on the below video from the early 70s is a bit shaky, but she sounds good once she gets going. I especially like her fluttering vibrato, which she uses even on the lowest notes, (although she doesn’t use it much on this song). She’s only quite young in this clip, believe it or not. Liv Maessen released her first album in 1971 and, around that time, became the first Australian woman to be awarded a gold record in Australia. I find the lyrics for the song shown here, “Little Green Apples”, a bit silly, but charming at the same time.

Rumor has it that Richard actually passed on Little Green Apples at one point. Bummer. It's a nice little song. A little corny sure but it's meant to be that way. A simple song about simple people living a simple life.

Another great singer who I think is up there with Karen, is the late great Eva Cassidy and if this doesn't put her there, I don`t know what does!!
ironically, only 33 when she died as well.

Here is a little Chuck Mangione action, another amazing A&M artist, featuring Esther Satterfield, a magnificent singer who decided to give up entertainment to get married and raise a family. This is one of my most treasured recordings and it never fails to get an emotional response.

Janet Siedel is great.

I've heard that Karen very much admired Barbra Streisand's voice. I wish we knew what/who else she listened to. Richard has said she did most of her listening in the car, but she surely must have collected records from other artists she met over the years.

I agree with mstaft about Streisand - not enough warmth. Karen could deliver a song just dripping with warmth.

Anyone else here a fan of Manhattan Transfer? Love their harmonies! This is my favorite . . .

By the way, it's Barkley Square, not Berkley . . .

Amazing! I was in the same class at school as Janet Siedel’s little brother, Mark. Her Mum was the drama teacher at the school.

Some of you will be aware that I am in Australia. The town where the Siedels lived and where I went to school was a small one of 6,000 people at the time, so it seems incredible to think that someone over the other side of the world, (Song4u), is now a fan of Janet Siedel’s music.

I was in Sydney about fifteen years ago, was walking through a plaza where there was a woman playing an outdoor show, recognised Janet Siedel and stopped to listen. Since then, I’ve bought one or two of her CDs.

When I was in Japan, I saw a few of her CDs in different Tower Records stores.

Janet Siedel isn’t exactly we’ll-known, which is why I was surprised to see her mentioned as a favourite here. Song4u, it is the Australian Janet Siedel you mean, isn’t it....??

you guys ever come across this young lady?
Renee Dominique, 20 years old and sings with a ukulele most of the time.
I think she`s great to listen to and think she`s done some lovely covers, but what do you think of this one;

you guys ever come across this young lady?
Renee Dominique, 20 years old and sings with a ukulele most of the time.
I think she`s great to listen to and think she`s done some lovely covers, but what do you think of this one;

The simplicity suits the song. The intimacy of using just ukulele and hushed voice matches the conversational tone of the lyrics.

The simplicity suits the song. The intimacy of using just ukulele and hushed voice matches the conversational tone of the lyrics.

Spot on sir :)
This is one of the things I love about Karen Carpenter and indeed, other female artists I listen to now, they sing the song, `simple` as that, none of this screaming up and down the ranges like a lot do now. I just want to hear the voice and the lyrics, not fancy tricks to see who can scream the loudest, that`s if you can understand the lyrics nowadays!!

Natalie Prass:
This song Far From You,
rewrites The Carpenters breakthrough hit "(They Long to Be) Close to You"
to eulogize Karen Carpenter who died from complications due to anorexia.
Natalie Prass explained to Mojo:
"I've always gotten people saying that I look like her, since I was a little kid. I became totally fascinated by her.
You can hear her personality in her voice, she just really draws you in with her delivery and her spirit.
People focus on the way she died, but I wanted to write a tribute to her as a kind soul, a really talented drummer,
a skilled musician... Just somebody I think was a real light within all of the darkness that the music could be,
and I think it's tragic that the darkness overtook her and brought her down."

Natalie Prass:
This song Far From You,
rewrites The Carpenters breakthrough hit "(They Long to Be) Close to You"
to eulogize Karen Carpenter who died from complications due to anorexia.
Natalie Prass explained to Mojo:
"I've always gotten people saying that I look like her, since I was a little kid. I became totally fascinated by her.
You can hear her personality in her voice, she just really draws you in with her delivery and her spirit.
People focus on the way she died, but I wanted to write a tribute to her as a kind soul, a really talented drummer,
a skilled musician... Just somebody I think was a real light within all of the darkness that the music could be,
and I think it's tragic that the darkness overtook her and brought her down."

There's a nod to Superstar in the lyrics, too: "So far away and long ago.."

Carly Simon comes to mind first. I know I have others. I love both Carly's singing & lyrics and her beautiful home. Whenever I get a new Carly album, I feel as though she is writing a letter to me only. Bette Midler comes to mind, too. If you dig deep, you can find a lot of gems in Helen Reddy's catalogue.

" If you dig deep, you can find a lot of gems in Helen Reddy's catalogue."
Yes, you can- for me, specially true of the Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady era.

I searched and didn't see a mention of her previously. Dolores O'Riordan. Saw her in concert in the 1990s. Much like Karen, she sang live and sounded like the record. Unfortunately, like Karen, her voice is now silenced.

Back
Top Bottom