Other Female Singers

Listen to this, and then tell me there's no good music being made anymore...

The album this song is from, won this year's Grammy for album of the year. For once, they got it right!

I really needed that one today...she reminds me of Karen in her simplicity.
The ending “it’s all be alright” reminds me of Karen’s farewell Look to your Dreams...”and tomorrow may be better for you and me”

That is pretty impressive, and I like the video, too. *Scuttles off to Spotify to listen to more*.

All the way through this song I could “hear” a gentle orchestration in the choruses, reminiscent of Love Is A Losing Game by Amy Winehouse. That’s the first time that’s ever happened to me when listening to a song for the first time. I think the track would have benefitted from some light orchestration.

I’m actually gobsmacked she’s had two #1 albums in the UK and I’ve never heard of her before now. Maybe that’s because she’s never released any singles here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kacey_Musgraves_discography

Last edited:
Kaceys albums are gems.Her Christmas cd is also a new favourite in my house.
I saw her open as support act for Lady Antebellum at the Manchester(UK) Apollo in 2012.
Now reaping a well deserved success.

I'm not really much of a country music fan...but after Murray posted this video I checked out some of her other songs. I ended up downloading "Rainbow" and 3 more songs "Oh, What A World", "High Horse" (Bee Gees inspired disco flourish) and "Happy And Sad"....

I'm really liking Happy And Sad...has some great lyrics I can identify with:

"I don't mind at all, no, I'm used to fallin'
I'm comfortable when the sky is gray
But when everything is perfect, I start hidin'
'Cause I know that rain is comin' my way, my way"

I don’t know if any of you guys have heard of her, but I really like Danni Nicholls. I had the pleasure of meeting her at a gig earlier this year and she’s not only a great live performer, but also a lovely person.

I’ve tried to include a YouTube link to one of her songs below (I haven’t tried this on here before so hopefully it’ll work). This is the first song of hers I heard, having been introduced to her music through my yoga teacher. I love the lyrics/message behind it.

Sometimes you hear a song and wonder what it would sound like if Karen had recorded the lyrics. I can hear Karen singing this with a cry in her voice and would make a nice cut on a jazz album.

Aussie Drummer / singer / songwriter G-Flip. If you stick through the slow section of ‘Proud Mary’, below, she does warm up. Her self-composed studio stuff is very different in style from this live performance.

Posting this here because G Flip drums - but she has quite a pleasant voice, too, as well as personality - and I like her melody in the song below, as well as the sound. There was discussion recently about how much control Karen Carpenter had. The example of G Flip shows how much more opportunity an artist in 2019 can have for artistic control, as compared to an artist of the 70s. G Flip writes, sings, records and produces her own stuff, playing drums, keyboards and guitars, as well as visualising and producing her videos. Having said that, there’s probably not the opportunity to make much money as such an artist, as opposed to the multi millions that Carpenters generated any given year between 1970 and 2019, although having your fingers in every pie and cutting out all middle-men / women and foregoing a record company probably allows making a few extra $$$$$. It must be exciting being the driver of your own destiny in the entertainment industry at such a young age, though.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I couldn't really identify one and it's not something that deserves its own thread.

Read this today, 80's singer Taylor Dane talking about her formative years:

She remembers being in the hospital when she was around 4 or 5 years old and her dad had given her a radio so she could listen and sing along to music. “I was good at imitating and mimicking Stevie Wonder and Karen Carpenter,” she says. Dayne thought they lived “happy, fabulous, beautiful lives” (of course, as a child, she didn’t realize the struggles Carpenter had faced with anorexia). “I said, ‘Bam!’ — 5 years old — I’m going to be a rock star. It’s going to save me.”

I just heard Kacey Musgraves "Golden Hour" & she deserved to win for "Album Of The Year" at the Grammy Awards. The CD runs 45:50 in total length. It is a gold disc not a silver disc. There are no lyrics on the booklet though. The songs "Butterflies" & "Oh, What A World" (which has a weird talk box) are my favorites. I hear a Karen Carpenter difference in the song "Rainbow" (the last song on the CD) & had Karen lived, I think that she might have recorded that song. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I thing that the late Karen Carpenter might have recorded the song "I'll Always Love You" by Taylor Dayne (which was a hit in 1988). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I thing that the late Karen Carpenter might have recorded the song "I'll Always Love You" by Taylor Dayne (which was a hit in 1988). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Taylor Dane had an amazing, powerful voice, and sang that way - a belter. Karen's version of her song would have been much different, albeit wonderful.

On the ‘Music that influenced Karen and Richard’ thread, it says that, while she was in hospital in New York in the early 80s, Karen mentioned to Richard that she would like to record the old standard, ‘I Get Along Without You Very Well’. Around this time, Carly Simon released this song. Unfortunately, the audio on the clip below is distorted, but you get to hear a female artist with a prominent lower register, like Karen had, tackling this standard.

^^^I have to say, I’m not that enamoured with it as a song. The structure of the verses is strange, the tempo is uneven and the repeated “of course I do” line sounds clunky and doesn’t really fit.

To me, Linda Ronstadt is a national treasure because not just her talent but also that she's performed in so many genres.
Basia has already been mentioned, and I still like her Time & Tide album very much.
My favorite alto for the last few years has been Lauren Tally -- probably not well known here.
Some jazz singers I only recently discovered on Pandora and I'm looking forward to hearing more are Heather Rigdon (haven't decided yet if it's just the material I've heard so far that appeals to me) and Renee Olstead.

Love Diana Krall. Listen to her most every day. That's Pacific Northwest jazz - she's from British Columbia in Canada.

Wendee Glick is an amazing alto singer.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=0ahUKEwjWtPXvzonhAhVVCDQIHXYICzEQxa8BCDIwBg&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Try Sara Lazarus for jazz
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=2ahUKEwjvoev9z4nhAhVNIzQIHfWdCpI4ChDFrwEwB3oECAEQEQ&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Debra (Debbie) Byrne has been a bit hit-and-miss with material over the years but I feel she has a very calming, serene, warm and conversational voice when the song is right for her.

Not sure if anybody else is a fan but I listen to Kiki Dee a lot.
I bought the remastered bonus track cds and have ordered the soon to be released box set of them with signed photo from Amazon.
I always imagined Karen covering something like Loving and free or night hours.
Maybe even Amoureuse.

I listen to Kiki Dee a lot. I always imagined Karen covering ...Amoureuse.
Funny you should mention that. I always thought ‘ Amoureuse’ sounded just a little bit Karen-like when it was a hit back in the mid 70s....mainly only in the lower notes. It actually made Number 12 here and was played on the radio up until the late 70s.

Before I head off to LA for the upcoming 50th Anniversary event, I’m spending a week in New York and one of the things I’ve always wanted to do is see a baseball game. Anyway, I’ve booked to see the Yankees play at home and to get in the mood, I’m watching a movie I’ve never seen before called A League Of Their Own from 1992 and the theme tune really struck a chord with me. It’s not smash hit material but it’s a lovely song by Carole King and I can somehow hear Karen singing it. To top that, I’ve just realised the cast includes Madonna and her song This Used To Be My Playground is also the theme song for the movie. Madonna donated the royalties from that single to The Karen A. Carpenter Memorial Foundation (as it was known then).

This Used to Be My Playground - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Before I head off to LA for the upcoming 50th Anniversary event, I’m spending a week in New York and one of the things I’ve always wanted to do is see a baseball game. Anyway, I’ve booked to see the Yankees play at home and to get in the mood, I’m watching a movie I’ve never seen before called A League Of Their Own from 1992 and the theme tune really struck a chord with me. It’s not smash hit material but it’s a lovely song by Carole King and I can hear Karen singing this. To top that, I’ve just realised the cast includes Madonna and her song This Used To Be My Playground is also the theme song for the movie. Madonna donated the royalties from that single to The Karen A. Carpenter Memorial Foundation (as it was known then).

This Used to Be My Playground - Wikipedia

Stephen, so glad to see your mention here of this movie as well as its soundtrack, which I bought after seeing the movie. "Now and Forever," by Carole King, is a great song, with a tender lyric. I agree it would have been a great song for Karen, perhaps even a home run! The soundtrack includes other 1940s/1950s songs, including a nice rendition of "It's Only a Paper Moon" by James Taylor and "In a Sentimental Mood" by Billy Joel.

But getting back to Carole King, I always appreciated her music. So great that they produced a Broadway show about her life and music, Beautiful. It's a dream of mine, perhaps yours, too, that such a treatment might one day be given to music of the Carpenters...

Back
Top Bottom