Other Female Singers

Like a Prayer is probably one of my most played albums; I’ve loved it ever since I first heard it

Funnily enough, after I read your post a few days back the 'Like A Prayer 30th Anniversary Edition' appeared on my itunes. I can't believe its been 30 years. I remember buying that and Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation on vinyl the same year and just falling in love with both albums - I suppose it was the first contemporary pop music I got into.

The anniversary edition is cool, though it's a crime to omit Promise to Try - possibly the most tender moment on the album, and again, very Karen.

Funnily enough, after I read your post a few days back the 'Like A Prayer 30th Anniversary Edition' appeared on my itunes. I can't believe its been 30 years. I remember buying that and Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation on vinyl the same year and just falling in love with both albums - I suppose it was the first contemporary pop music I got into.

The anniversary edition is cool, though it's a crime to omit Promise to Try - possibly the most tender moment on the album, and again, very Karen.

I’ve been meaning to listen to the anniversary edition since it came out. I think I’ll play it on my way to work tomorrow.

I agree about Promise to Try. I can’t believe it was left out. It’s a beautiful song!

There’s a lot of hype about Madonna’s next album at the moment. I’m not sure what to expect to be honest.

^^I haven't thought about them in a while !
I had the EP (maybe cassette single ?) of "love in the first degree."
Anyway, I was more into Roxette (She's Got The Look) during that 80's period.

Now a duo, but still sound great. I like them a lot, especially the Megamix single with all their hits and the songs they did with Fun Boy Three. I love the 80’s New Wave electronic music best of all decades.

Reactions: Sue
I was kind of hoping it was a new remake of the Quincy Jones hit Stuff Like That. Great song!!!!

Gee, I hear this version, and I love Karen's interpretation all over again:
Listen to Vicki Sue Robinson, Don't Try To Win Me Back Again....

I was a kind of shocked that Karen would record that song at all. Extreme lyrics and would have been too risky to release it in my opinion. It’s done well. I like the music, it’s just not what most Karen Carpenter fans would expect to hear from her. New York City and the friends she made there must have been extremely liberating to say the least. Kind of glad that one remains on YouTube and bootlegs. I’m sure most everyone in here has it or at least heard it by now. Vicki Sue’s version is good and should remain the released one for the disco era.

When you listen to Tanita Tikaram, you hear rich, warm notes that resonate in a low register -deep, like Karen Carpenter’s voice, but with a different quality. Tanita Tikaram is very patchy as an artist, I find. Some of her songs are really good and some aren’t, but I like her vocal sound. Her earlier stuff was produced by Rod Argent, who was at the helm of the brilliant 60s British group, The Zombies, lead singer of which, Colin Blunstone, has an amazing and beautiful voice. (Think ‘The Eagle Will Rise Again’ and ‘Old and Wise’ by The Alan Parsons Project and ‘She’s Not There’ and ‘Time of the Season’ by The Zombies).

Here’s the single that introduced Tanita Tikaram to the world, (produced by Rod Argent). She writes her own material - some of it, interesting stuff.

I never heard of Tanita Tikaram before your post Brian. A quick search of Wikipedia, shows that "Twist In My Sobriety" peaked at #40 on the Canadian singles chart in April 1989, but I don't remember ever hearing it on the radio. I'm sure if I would have heard such an unusual alto voice, I'd have remembered it!

Speaking of unusual altos, how about Siobhan Fahey of "Shakespears Sister"?

I never heard of Tanita Tikaram before your post Brian. A quick search of Wikipedia, shows that "Twist In My Sobriety" peaked at #40 on the Canadian singles chart in April 1989, but I don't remember ever hearing it on the radio. I'm sure if I would have heard such an unusual alto voice, I'd have remembered it!

She was quite popular for a couple of years in the UK, I always loved Twist In My Sobriety for its moody atmosphere, smokey vocals, sad oboe and brilliant, sparing use of the tom toms.

Speaking of unusual altos, how about Siobhan Fahey of "Shakespears Sister"?

Formerly one third of the original line up of Bananarama :). She reunited with Keren Woodward and Sara Dallin a couple of years ago for a short tour of the UK and North America. This was always my favourite song and features in the 1984 movie The Karate Kid. It was quite a big deal at the time for them to get their song in such a blockbuster film because they were little known in the US.

I love Tanita's 'Twist In My Sobriety' - such a unique artist. I also liked Liza's Pet Shop Boy's industrial/gospel cover from 'Results' - very unexpected but weirdly cool.

Cruel Summer is such a great track - probs my favorite of theirs. I also adored Shakespeare Sister, especially the gorgeous ....

Formerly one third of the original line up of Bananarama :). She reunited with Keren Woodward and Sara Dallin a couple of years ago for a short tour of the UK and North America. This was always my favourite song and features in the 1984 movie The Karate Kid. It was quite a big deal at the time for them to get their song in such a blockbuster film because they were little known in the US.
The image of Siobhan in the devil costume, from Bananarama's "Venus" video, will be forever burned into my memory! :twisted: :laugh: I agree with you that "Cruel Summer" is a great track - I love the whole self-titled album (especially "Hotline to Heaven")!

First, Keren and Sara made up with Siobhan (I bought the reunion concert Blu-ray), and now Siobhan and Marcella Detroit have "buried the hatchet". Yes, Shakespear's Sister have reunited, with new music, and an upcoming tour. I guess time does heal all wounds!

Former "Charlie's Angels" Cheryl Ladd "I'll Never Love This Way Again" (from her self - titled 1978 Capitol album) which was later done by Dionne Warwick in August of 1979. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I love Tanita's 'Twist In My Sobriety' - such a unique artist. I also liked Liza's Pet Shop Boy's industrial/gospel cover from 'Results' - very unexpected but weirdly cool.

Cruel Summer is such a great track - probs my favorite of theirs. I also adored Shakespeare Sister, especially the gorgeous ....

Results is one of my favorite albums.

Another woman who can reach some mighty low notes, Renee Geyer, together here with Marc Hunter in 1995, with a remake of the 1986 Dragon song, ‘Speak No Evil’.

Back
Top Bottom