Other Female Singers

I've been on an Atomic Kitten binge lately. :catwalk: It's such a shame that they broke up in 2004, after recording only three albums. One of the best girl groups ever... I absolutely LOVE this song! :love:

A Biopic of Helen Reddy is ready-to-go (though, not yet picked-up by USA):
"Following its premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in September, the film will be released in Australia on 21 May next year (2020)."
I Am Woman tells the story of the Melbourne-born singer who "arrived in New York in 1966, virtually broke and a single mother of a toddler, before she went on to become one of the most successful recording artists of her generation. She wrote and sang the song I Am Woman that became the anthem for the women's movement in the 1970s".
Look here:
https://themusic.com.au/news/helen-reddy-i-am-woman-first-look-trailer/qIqwur28v74/02-12-19/
Hi Gary: I hope all is well. Been a huge Carpenters fan since 1970, when I first heard Close To You on a family vacation. But specifically wanted to thank you here for mentioning Helen Reddy who, in my opinion, has been severely under-rated through the years. Thank you!

Hi Gary: I hope all is well. Been a huge Carpenters fan since 1970, when I first heard Close To You on a family vacation. But specifically wanted to thank you here for mentioning Helen Reddy who, in my opinion, has been severely under-rated through the years. Thank you!

^^Totally agree...Helen Reddy is vastly underrated as vocalist.
As with Karen Carpenter, if only "the hits" are known,
then the general public misses the most important, significant, songs.
You're My World is a fine example of her soaring vocals.
Candle On the Water
is beautifully performed.

One of my favorite Helen Reddy recordings is "Best Friend" from her I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LOVE HIM album. She also performed it in the AIRPORT '75 movie.

Interesting that’s she’s recorded 2 Carpenters songs and 1 ABBA. I’m tempted to get it for that.
I gave in to temptation, and ordered the CD. It says on Harriet's website that this album is not going to be released digitally, so the only way to hear it is to buy the CD.

I gave in to temptation, and ordered the CD. It says on Harriet's website that this album is not going to be released digitally, so the only way to hear it is to buy the CD.
Which makes me wonder why is she still offering physical CDs when people are not buying them now. I wonder if downloads across different countries and continents creates more issues than just offering it on physical media. Does issuing a physical CD make it more exclusive in today’s world of music?

Does issuing a physical CD make it more exclusive in today’s world of music?

I wouldn’t have thought so. Not unless the CD comes with some sort of exclusive insert or booklet you don’t get with downloads or streaming. A lot of CDs are now released straight to “deluxe edition” anyway, including bonus tracks that you only used to get as downloads.

I'm a huge fan of Judy Garland, I've been listening to her music since I was a kid. I prefer her recordings from the 1940s and 1950s - especially from her movies, studio albums, and radio broadcasts. Her cuts for Decca are a mixed bag, so I don't listen to them often. My favorite Judy album is Judy in Love, it has these great jazz arrangements (Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart, especially) and the production is fabulous. I'm surprised it didn't chart . . . I still haven't listened to the entire Judy at Carnegie Hall album yet, but that's on my to-do list!

Here's a fantastic performance of Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart on a 1943 Command Performance program. Judy was only 20 here!

One of my favorite performances from the Carnegie Hall album:

Hope you have a chance to listen to the Carnegie album soon. My favorite is this one; but you really can't go wrong with anything from that concert.

This young lady is amazing! :love: Remind you of anyone?

Her name is Elise Trouw. She also plays guitar, bass, and keyboards. She's made some videos where she plays all the instruments as well as singing, using a process she calls "live looping". She records to a computer as she goes along, playing parts back on a loop, selectively, using foot pedals to control the software. Wow!

Last edited:
I got Harriets new live cd in the post today along with signed photos etc.Well worth buying and glad I did.
Harriet has her own voice but that nice every now and again friendly similar voice familiarity especially live.
No spoilers here as everyone who hears it will decide on the demo versions of well known songs

Canadian singer Sarah Slean (duet with Hawksley Workman) "Up Where We Belong" (from "These Two" 5 song EP) on itunes which came out 2 weeks ago. Remake of the Jennifer Warnes & the late Joe Cocker 1982 song from the movie "An Officer And A Gentleman".

I heard this song on KAHI radio (Auburn, CA) on their "Sinatra & Friends Weekend" today and can fully appreciate Linda Ronstadt as one of the premier pop female vocalists of the 20th century. What is it about these diminutive, dark-haired, doe-eyed beauties with incredible voices?

Jackie DeShannon's "New Arrangement" (1975 on Columbia with bonus tracks) is a great album!! The original "Bette Davis Eyes" is on that album. I downloaded on itunes!!!

I got Harriets new live cd in the post today along with signed photos etc.Well worth buying and glad I did.
Harriet has her own voice but that nice every now and again friendly similar voice familiarity especially live.
No spoilers here as everyone who hears it will decide on the demo versions of well known songs

Harriets doing alive facebook gig from home right now

Rumer has featured this week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show. She has a new Nashville album out in the summer and sang a cover of a Kathy Mattea song 'Where've You Been' that I'd forgotten all about. I think I've mentioned Kathy Mattea before on this thread. Rumer's version of the song was pleasant enough but here's Kathy's original version

Suzy Bogguss "If You Leave Me Now" (from 2007 "Sweet Danger") (audio only & album track) Remake of the Chicago 1976 song.

Has anyone seen this? She is popular in certain European countries and does a lot of cover songs. The song selection in her carpenters medley is what I find most interesting: there is a kind of hush, sweet sweet smile, solitaire and top of the world. Indicates what was popular in that part of the world. I actually like her version of solitaire.

Has anyone seen this? She is popular in certain European countries and does a lot of cover songs. The song selection in her carpenters medley is what I find most interesting: there is a kind of hush, sweet sweet smile, solitaire and top of the world. Indicates what was popular in that part of the world. I actually like her version of solitaire.

Yes, having lived in the Netherlands for almost 30 years I am familiar with this singer from Belgium and I have most of her CDs. She is quite popular in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Denmark but also in South Africa. She has released albums specifically for these markets, re-recording some songs in different languages.
She has done a few cover albums (specifically "Unforgettable" and "Unforgettable Too") but many of her albums feature a cover or two or three. I wouldn't say her song choices are indicative of what is popular in Europe per se, but it has to do with her own recognition of a good tune and a good tune for her. Actually, it was her cover of Celine Dion's winning Eurovision song "Ne partez pas sans moi" which drew my attention as not many singers have covered it. And the next song that was suggested to me was "Ik voel me goed vandaag" (I feel good today) which turned out to be a Dutch version of "There's a kind of hush". I will link the video here so you can hear what amazed me about it: the arrangement is like a carbon copy of the Carpenters' version. Her covers are clearly meant as homages to artists she admires and in her concerts she often says a few words about the original artists before or after performing the songs. I recall her praising the Carpenters and ABBA.

She has also done "Top of the world" as "Op het dak van de wereld" (On the roof of the world).

Getting back to my previous statement about it being her choice rather than what is popular; the cover that made me really decide to keep an eye on her was a cover of ABBA's 1980 outtake "Put on your white sombrero". I figured that an artist who even dove into "the obscure stuff" when choosing what to cover was worth following. Perhaps she has a Richard who stays up all night in the hope of catching those movie songs or bank commercial jingles or maybe she's the type of person who would fit in well here on AMCorner.

Yes, having lived in the Netherlands for almost 30 years I am familiar with this singer from Belgium and I have most of her CDs. She is quite popular in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Denmark but also in South Africa. She has released albums specifically for these markets, re-recording some songs in different languages.
She has done a few cover albums (specifically "Unforgettable" and "Unforgettable Too") but many of her albums feature a cover or two or three. I wouldn't say her song choices are indicative of what is popular in Europe per se, but it has to do with her own recognition of a good tune and a good tune for her. Actually, it was her cover of Celine Dion's winning Eurovision song "Ne partez pas sans moi" which drew my attention as not many singers have covered it. And the next song that was suggested to me was "Ik voel me goed vandaag" (I feel good today) which turned out to be a Dutch version of "There's a kind of hush". I will link the video here so you can hear what amazed me about it: the arrangement is like a carbon copy of the Carpenters' version. Her covers are clearly meant as homages to artists she admires and in her concerts she often says a few words about the original artists before or after performing the songs. I recall her praising the Carpenters and ABBA.

She has also done "Top of the world" as "Op het dak van de wereld" (On the roof of the world).

Getting back to my previous statement about it being her choice rather than what is popular; the cover that made me really decide to keep an eye on her was a cover of ABBA's 1980 outtake "Put on your white sombrero". I figured that an artist who even dove into "the obscure stuff" when choosing what to cover was worth following. Perhaps she has a Richard who stays up all night in the hope of catching those movie songs or bank commercial jingles or maybe she's the type of person who would fit in well here on AMCorner.

I REALLY like her vocals on There's a Kind of Hush- and the arrangement has elements of both Carpenters and Herman's Hermits in it.

Recording artists from a range of styles say that they have been influenced by Carpenters.

Members of this site who were around in the UK in the late 70s and 80s will remember the duo, Dollar.

The woman in the duo, Thereza Bazar, was born in Canada, lived much of her life in the UK and, later, moved to Australia.

Thereza Bazar grew up listening to classical music and says that the only pop music she listened to in her teenage years was The Carpenters.

Her first successful musical group was Guys and Dolls, who had two Top 5 hits in the UK in the mid-70s while she was a member.

She was forced out of the group, along with partner David Van Day, in the mid to late 70s. It was then that the two formed Dollar. Dollar had a further five Top 10 hits in the UK.

One of these was the Top 5 song, "Love's Gotta Hold On Me' from 1979, written by Thereza Bazar; a recording on which she says the harmonies were inspired by the sound of Carpenters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom