Other Female Singers

She was forced out of the group, along with partner David Van Day, in the mid to late 70s. It was then that the two formed Dollar. Dollar had a further five Top 10 hits in the UK.

The name David Van Day gives me the shivers. If you think he was all bubblegum pop, watch this. I can’t really say any more about him because there isn’t anything positive to say.

The name David Van Day gives me the shivers. If you think he was all bubblegum pop, watch this. I can’t really say any more about him because there isn’t anything positive to say.

Yes, I know about this. Thanks for posting, newvillefan. I just wanted to mention Carpenters' influence on the Dollar duo and the song 'Love's Gotta Hold On Me', as brought up by Thereza Bazar.

I don't like much current music or many current artists but there's something about the way the song and video from this 2016 release by Lisa Mitchell work together.

The song and video illustrate a bond between a female and a male way of being that goes beyond sexual. The message is sympathetic to a male way. Both of these things are unusual for these days.

The video is quite cinematic.

The song and video express that desperation of youth - that desire to get otherworldly close to a chosen one and that terrible fear of losing that someone.

The message is about mateship - mateship between a girl and her group of male friends. It's about the sensitivity of males - something that we see a lot of but don't hear a lot about.

I think the song is simple but very effective. The song and the video together have emotional impact.

'The Boys', written by Lisa Mitchell, who also often produces her own videos.

Leslie Pearl.
"If The Love Fits" is a track that I just love and Carpenters would have made it even better.
She also wrote "My Body Keeps CHanging My Mind" which
I love equally.

"you can try it on and see if it 'suits' you"
Lots of thought went into the clever lyric.
I think that Richard would appreciate this.

Has Nicolette Larson ever been mentioned in this thread? Beautiful woman, voice, and persona. Died relatively young;

And here she is with Commander Cody live in 1977 and completely steals the show;

Has Nicolette Larson ever been mentioned in this thread? Beautiful woman, voice, and persona. Died relatively young;

And here she is with Commander Cody live in 1977 and completely steals the show;

I used to like her song, 'Rio De Janeiro Blue'. It was very languid sounding. It got some radio airplay, even though it was not a single. I also like Randy Crawford's version - probably a bit more than Nicolette Larson's, now.

I had the 'Lotta Love' single when it was first released and used to play it all the time. At that time, I also liked 'You Send Me' - which also doesn't seem to have been a single, but got a lot of radio airplay.

A couple of years ago, I got a Japanese pressing of her second album, 'In the Nick Of Time', but it has her sounding a bit like a chipmunk, as if they somehow ran the tape too fast when copying to CD - if that's possible.

Another song of hers that I used to like a lot was her remake of the Supremes' 'Back In My Arms Again'. The 'B' side was 'Angels Rejoiced', which, although I'm not religious, I used to also like very much. Sort of a spiritual country song.

Nicolette Larson is yet another entertainer who unfortunately self-destructed.

One-time girlfriend of Neil Young, I believe. He wrote 'Lotta Love'. That doesn't sound anything like a Neil Young song, interestingly.

Maire Brennan was in her 60s when she recorded this live version of 'Caislean Oir' with her brothers and uncles, who are collectively known as Clannad.

Maire sounds best in the solo sections.

She still has a beautiful voice, even in her 7th decade of life.

If memory serves, Nicolette was a close friend of Linda Ronstadt and she helped Larson get her career started. I'm going by memory alone here, so might not be right, but think so. I remember reading that Linda and Nicolette would sing together just as friends, before she (Larson) got her pro break.

The year after Karen and Richard released 'Da Doo Ron Ron' on the 'Now and Then' LP, 18-year-old Aussie Debbie Byrne had a hit in her home country with a glam-rock flavoured version of the song.

Joan Osborne (best known for 1995 song "One Of Us" from "Relish") (with Jono Manson, former A&M recording artist) "Loved Me Into Loving Again" (music video)

The other night I couldn't sleep and for some reason "Ode To Billy Joe" by Bobbie Gentry was going through my head. I think it's a masterpiece. Now most of you know this is long before my time, so I decided to dig further into her music. Liking most of what I'm hearing so far.

Such a mysterious song, free to imagination and interpretation, I'm so captivated by how she just withdrew from all public view. Albums being recorded in the late 60's and early 70's followed by a BBC series and a series of stints in Vegas before disappearing in the early 80's.

I love the sassy country feel to "Fancy"

And she also does a good version of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"

Bobbie Gentry: The Capitol Years (1967 - 1972) box set is out which came out last year. A deluxe version of Bobbie's second album "The Delta Sweete" is also out with bonus tracks.

The other night I couldn't sleep and for some reason "Ode To Billy Joe" by Bobbie Gentry was going through my head. I think it's a masterpiece. Now most of you know this is long before my time, so I decided to dig further into her music. Liking most of what I'm hearing so far.

Such a mysterious song, free to imagination and interpretation, I'm so captivated by how she just withdrew from all public view. Albums being recorded in the late 60's and early 70's followed by a BBC series and a series of stints in Vegas before disappearing in the early 80's.

I love the sassy country feel to "Fancy"

And she also does a good version of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"

'Ode to Billy Joe' was a song that made you sit up and listen whenever it came on the radio. It was the story-telling, the tragedy, the unresolved ending and the tremendous atmosphere that it brought with it that had a mesmerising effect. The song had a life of its own and that's why a movie was made, based upon its story. It turned out that the scenes that Bobbie Gentry conjured up in people's imaginations with her words and suggestions were much more evocative than the scenes of the movie. And fifty years later, you still wonder what Billy Joe and the girl were throwing off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

If you like the late Phoebe Snow ("Poetry Man" in late 1974), try Canadian singer Ronney Abramson "Your Love Gets Me Around" (from 1977 "Stowaway") (audio only)

Former "Bugaloos" actress & singer Caroline Ellis interview (which runs 37 minutes) on the 50th Anniversary!!

Saw this on the DrudgeReport this morning. Some of you might find it interesting. Be sure to check out the video;

The state of the music business in 2020...I have nothing against Miley Cyrus, but the Princess Of Twerk really seems to be trashing it up here. The song is totally uninspiring, bland, and instantly forgettable. I'm sure there will be 20 billion views on YouTube. I hope this is not the "gem" of her new album.

Now let's contrast; 1972

Apples v Oranges you say? But who's really more attractive to look at and a sound that is more beautiful to listen to? No comparison. Let's just put it this way, I'm glad I "came of age" in the era I did.

Last edited:
Bobbie Gentry: The Capitol Years (1967 - 1972) box set is out which came out last year. A deluxe version of Bobbie's second album "The Delta Sweete" is also out with bonus tracks.

I've got that boxset. It's a beautifully done set and well worth the money. Ode to Billie Joe, The Delta Sweetie and Patchwork are her key albums, , but apart from the Glen Campbell duets, which are pretty disposable, most of the music on there is terrific. She has a fascinating sound that's rooted in country, but also has a dark soulful smokiness that has more in common with Dusty Springfield than it does with traditional country music.

Bobbie herself is as much of an enigma as the song 'Ode to Billie Joe' - she hasn't released an album since 1971, she hasn't performed in public or given an interview since 1982 and although she's still alive, her whereabouts are unknown. Quite an achievement to stay under the radar for so long, particularly in the social media/cameraphone age!

Back
Top Bottom